Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are we a dying breed?

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I don't want to be that guy, but I'd really like to hear from Yodelgoat (original poster) and make sure all is OK.

YG was always a pop in for a bit- then vanish. Would be cool for a check-in from the road
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    All in all, we are a very dying race.
    Damn, I knew the lyric but I couldn't pull up the song. Instead of waking up with the answer at 3 in the morning, I cheated and looked it up: Squonk

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    Well, I just turned 65 this year, and I've never felt more disconnected from the world around me.
    I turned 76 last month, and like you, I feel like I live on a different planet than I grew up and through most of my adult life.
    It seems like everything is geared to Gen Z and younger Millennials. From ads on tv, music, clothes, politics, medicine, philosophy or lack of it, to lives centered around smartphones and selfies.
    I'm not one to hold on to the past or the "good old days", and try to continually keep an open mind and move forward. I try to find the good parts of changes, and not focus on the negative.

I was thinking the other day when a promo trailer for Steve Hackett's BluRay for his Foxtrot at 50 concert DVD, and watched some of the trailer.
    I own every concert on DVD he has ever put out, and saw him live before Covid for the Wolflight tour, and I love hearing him play live his older solo material(pre Roger KIng era).
    And as I watched I thought to myself, "how many times can you listen or watch Watcher of the Skies or Firth of Fifth, or any of the PG era songs.
    I've seen, listened to them a million times, and I almost throw up in my mouth at the thought of watching it again.
    I guess some folks still love that era and relive the good times, it's great music, groundbreaking at the time and to me is still a work of art, but.......

In closing, I can't help but think these feelings you expressed and the original poster, are the exact same things our parents and their parents went through as each generation gets older and expresses themselves differently.
    My parents, who are no longer here, lived through the depression, WWII, watched their technology change, travel, food, etc, as us young whippersnappers let our hair grow, enjoyed natural substances, listened to psychedelic music, quit eating meat, etc.
    I'm sure they felt the same way as the Beatles music was everywhere, while their Big Band music slowly lost favor on the radio.

One dying breed gives birth to another one, and what we're feeling isn't exclusive to just our generation.

Peace..Love..and pass the tofu. lol
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I turned 76 last month, and like you, I feel like I live on a different planet than I grew up and through most of my adult life.
    It seems like everything is geared to Gen Z and younger Millennials. From ads on tv, music, clothes, politics, medicine, philosophy or lack of it, to lives centered around smartphones and selfies.
    I'm not one to hold on to the past or the "good old days", and try to continually keep an open mind and move forward. I try to find the good parts of changes, and not focus on the negative.

I was thinking the other day when a promo trailer for Steve Hackett's BluRay for his Foxtrot at 50 concert DVD, and watched some of the trailer.
    I own every concert on DVD he has ever put out, and saw him live before Covid for the Wolflight tour, and I love hearing him play live his older solo material(pre Roger KIng era).
    And as I watched I thought to myself, "how many times can you listen or watch Watcher of the Skies or Firth of Fifth, or any of the PG era songs.
    I've seen, listened to them a million times, and I almost throw up in my mouth at the thought of watching it again.
    I guess some folks still love that era and relive the good times, it's great music, groundbreaking at the time and to me is still a work of art, but.......

In closing, I can't help but think these feelings you expressed and the original poster, are the exact same things our parents and their parents went through as each generation gets older and expresses themselves differently.
    My parents, who are no longer here, lived through the depression, WWII, watched their technology change, travel, food, etc, as us young whippersnappers let our hair grow, enjoyed natural substances, listened to psychedelic music, quit eating meat, etc.
    I'm sure they felt the same way as the Beatles music was everywhere, while their Big Band music slowly lost favor on the radio.

One dying breed gives birth to another one, and what we're feeling isn't exclusive to just our generation.

Peace..Love..and pass the tofu. lol
    I think you are right. I've turned 64 this year. Still interested in modern technology. Love computers and the possibilities they bring for my music. Don't care for smartphones. Can live without them. Some modern music I like, other not so much, just like music from the past. Everytime has music I like and music I would rather forget about.

Happy belated for starters!

And yes....the world IS changing, more rapidly than ever in some ways. There are many kids < 10 years old who can operate technology better than folks > 60 years old. Which is funny but also scary, particularly for the 60+ demographic. My day job is IT so I don't really have a choice and HAVE to keep up with these things. Hence my musings about AI/ML last week Plus it helps keep me relevant and connected with my nieces so I don't seem like just another "old relative" to endure at family gatherings

And I often find myself a bit at odds with some of my friends about things like Hackett. They see EVERY tour, multiple dates on every tour. They see all the tribute bands, again multiple times. For them, there will never be a moment when they'll have heard Supper's Ready enough. For me, I saw his Genesis Revisited tour once and it was fine. But it's nothing I feel I need to see over and over and over again. For those who DO still seek that stuff on a frequent basis, I'm glad they still have so many opportunities
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

And yes....the world IS changing, more rapidly than ever in some ways. There are many kids < 10 years old who can operate technology better than folks > 60 years old. Which is funny but also scary, particularly for the 60+ demographic. My day job is IT so I don't really have a choice and HAVE to keep up with these things. Hence my musings about AI/ML last week Plus it helps keep me relevant and connected with my nieces so I don't seem like just another "old relative" to endure at family gatherings

And I often find myself a bit at odds with some of my friends about things like Hackett. They see EVERY tour, multiple dates on every tour. They see all the tribute bands, again multiple times. For them, there will never be a moment when they'll have heard Supper's Ready enough. For me, I saw his Genesis Revisited tour once and it was fine. But it's nothing I feel I need to see over and over and over again. For those who DO still seek that stuff on a frequent basis, I'm glad they still have so many opportunities
    I enjoy Hackett's Genesis tributes, but in a way I prefer new music. Nothing wrong with some nostalgia, but give me something I haven't heard as well.

I'm reminded of a time I turned on PBS TV, and it was during a fund drive. You get lucky sometimes, I think I saw Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells at Edinburgh Castle and(shhhh taped it).
    This particular time they were playing a concert from the late 50's, early 60's era with Do Wop groups, Drifters, Belltones, etc, and watching the faces of the older audience light up, and you can actually see their faces change to being 16 years old again, and reliving those moments of their youth....kind of cool.

btw, thank you for the belated b'day wishes...
    Last edited by Top Cat; 08-07-2023 at 09:27 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I enjoy Hackett's Genesis tributes, but in a way I prefer new music. Nothing wrong with some nostalgia, but give me something I haven't heard as well.
    I agree, and I've enjoyed them in the past, but he's done soooooo many of them, it's redundant to me.
    I think his best one is the first one he did Genesis Revisted, where he had guest musicians and vocalists. and Genesis Revisited II.
    But every time he does a tour he releases a new DVD, with a bit of change in the setlist, a few new songs from solo album, and a few different Genesis one's. But for me, I've seen enough.
    As John said, I'm glad his fans still love and support his music and tours.

I like to see both, honestly. It tends to come and go in waves for me. Right now I'm listening to more prog than I've probably enjoyed in many years, for example. Even there though, I tend to be excited to discover something "new old" that I'd not heard before. For example, that cool Atlas album Blå Vardag was a total treat of a discovery maybe a year ago. And I've been circling that Pluto album from 1980 that has been reissued recently.

Kind of circling around to the OP's comments...it's kind of a cruel irony but as we get older I think in some ways we're forced to adapt more and more, and more frequently. Otherwise we feel left behind and disconnected. Speaking purely for myself, I wish for folks to stay engaged and "happy" in the world for as long as possible, that the effort involved is worth the reward.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I agree, and I've enjoyed them in the past, but he's done soooooo many of them, it's redundant to me.
    I think his best one is the first one he did Genesis Revisted, where he had guest musicians and vocalists. and Genesis Revisited II.
    But every time he does a tour he releases a new DVD, with a bit of change in the setlist, a few new songs from solo album, and a few different Genesis one's. But for me, I've seen enough.
    As John said, I'm glad his fans still love and support his music and tours.
    It's funny, for my friends who are HUGE Hackett fans the first Genesis Revisited is a point of contention between us because his decision to change the arrangements and feel of the songs is both why they dislike it so much, and why it's by far my favorite of his GR projects. Not all of them work - Your Own Special Way isn't for me - but when they do I absolutely love it and I love that's it different from what was.

I have Genesis files
    Genesis revisted band and orchestra
    Selling England by the pound & Spectral mornings
    Genesis revisted live Seconds out and more

Have The total experience live in Liverpool on my wishlist, because it is cheap.

Aren't many of the points expressed here simply .... progression?
    If you don't progress, you are simply standing still ....

OR
    Is it simply .. perpetual change?
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have mixed feeling on the current Foxtrot tour. Steve is my favourite guitarist, period. I haven't seen him in 3 or 4 years. Makes sense to see him in Montreal (a wonderful city) but I saw Steve so many times in the last 15 years, I have been burning out on some level. I never play Supper's Ready because I played it 1,000,000 times - serious overplaying. I'm taking my 40 year old nephew so can enjoy the show vicariously. I'm sure I'll have a good time though and i feel very loyal to Steve.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

And I've been circling that Pluto album from 1980 that has been reissued recently.
    Would that be "Voyage Into A Dreamer's Mind"?

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Would that be "Voyage Into A Dreamer's Mind"?
    Yep, that's the one Haven't heard it before, still deciding if I want to spring for a CD or not.

I looked on Discogs, and it appears that the CD is a vinyl rip.

Peachy, thanks for the heads up.

Got the 2 of Baffo Banfi albums reissued recently and I'm pretty sure they're needledrops as well. Better than nothing, but not THAT much better IMHO.

If the audio on YouTube is any indication, surface noise isn't apparent though it is somewhat noticeable toward the end in one of the acoustic guitar pieces. Still, I'm glad you pointed out this little gem!

Happy to have helped! Discoveries like these are just the sort of "new old" things that can be a real treat.

I'm reminded of a time I turned on PBS TV, and it was during a fund drive. You get lucky sometimes, I think I saw Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells at Edinburgh Castle and(shhhh taped it).
    This particular time they were playing a concert from the late 50's, early 60's era with Do Wop groups, Drifters, Belltones, etc, and watching the faces of the older audience light up, and you can actually see their faces change to being 16 years old again, and reliving those moments of their youth....kind of cool.
    PBS still airs some pretty good concerts during fundraisers. And shhhh, don't tell anyone: a $50 HDTV converter box with a USB port will record the full HD broadcast. Which can be easily edited with the free app Avidemux.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have mixed feeling on the current Foxtrot tour. Steve is my favourite guitarist, period. I haven't seen him in 3 or 4 years. Makes sense to see him in Montreal (a wonderful city) but I saw Steve so many times in the last 15 years, I have been burning out on some level. I never play Supper's Ready because I played it 1,000,000 times - serious overplaying. I'm taking my 40 year old nephew so can enjoy the show vicariously. I'm sure I'll have a good time though and i feel very loyal to Steve.
    I have to say, he puts on a great show, and they're packed full of good music, and the shows are quite long as well.
    I guess I'm more referring to the DVDs of the shows, they are always well done, but this is the first one I'll pass on, and as much as I like Nad, I'd like to hear someone else doing the Phil stuff(perhaps Peter JOnes???) I like Nad wihen he's doing his solo stuff tho.
    A tour of WAW and TOTT with a different vocalist might be interesting to me. Maybe a retro tour with Nick Magnus on keys...I'd shake things up a bit, but I think Steve is too loyal a guy to do that to "his" band.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    PBS still airs some pretty good concerts during fundraisers. And shhhh, don't tell anyone: a $50 HDTV converter box with a USB port will record the full HD broadcast. Which can be easily edited with the free app Avidemux.
    Thanks for the suggestion, that's great.
    I'm still old skool and have a DVR subscription with my cable, so recording shows is no problemo. lol

I have to say, he puts on a great show, and they're packed full of good music, and the shows are quite long as well.
    I guess I'm more referring to the DVDs of the shows, they are always well done, but this is the first one I'll pass on, and as much as I like Nad, I'd like to hear someone else doing the Phil stuff(perhaps Peter JOnes???) I like Nad wihen he's doing his solo stuff tho.
    A tour of WAW and TOTT with a different vocalist might be interesting to me. Maybe a retro tour with Nick Magnus on keys...I'd shake things up a bit, but I think Steve is too loyal a guy to do that to "his" band.
    What I'd really love to see is for Steve to do a Genesis Revisited 3 where he takes material from AFTER he left the band and approaches it the same way he did the material on the first Genesis Revisited. I think it'd be fascinating to see his take on stuff like Mama, Domino, Dodo, or the Duke Suite. Or maybe even Calling All Stations.

I'd put roughly the same odds of that happening, on my having dinner and a nightcap with Katy Perry this evening. But I DO think it would be a really cool/interesting idea.

What I'd really love to see is for Steve to do a Genesis Revisited 3 where he takes material from AFTER he left the band and approaches it the same way he did the material on the first Genesis Revisited. I think it'd be fascinating to see his take on stuff like Mama, Domino, Dodo, or the Duke Suite. Or maybe even Calling All Stations.

I'd put roughly the same odds of that happening, on my having dinner and a nightcap with Katy Perry this evening. But I DO think it would be a really cool/interesting idea.
    It would be an intersting idea, but as you say, not likely to happen. I may as well dream of having a conversation with Wim Mertens.

It would be an intersting idea, but as you say, not likely to happen. I may as well dream of having a conversation with Wim Mertens.
    I like to reassure myself that the odds are very, very, very, very low....but not zero

I like to reassure myself that the odds are very, very, very, very low....but not zero
    That's why I didn't mention any dead musician.