Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are we a dying breed?

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    1935?? Bix era jazz ? Dixieland Jazz? Did he like Ellington ? Satch? Or Charlie Parker? Personally I don’t like the old jazz. But I appreciate Miles, Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy. The pacific jazz bunch like baker, mulligan, Desmond I found dull.

1935 is going back a ways.
    Yeah Bix, early Ellington, Satch, no Dixieland, he tended to name that VVD-jazz (VVD is a Dutch conservative liberal (not in the US sense of the word) party, which is basicly aimed at the well to do). Defenitly no Parker, Miles, Coleman or Dolphy. I like some Dave Brubeck with Desmond, or Mulligan.

Infamous 78 collector Joe Bussard did not like blues or jazz recorded past the 30s. I can listen to that real old time stuff once in a while, provided I'm in a particular mood. My prime era for jazz is from the late 50s into the 60s though I have recordings from the later decades as well. The only stuff recorded before the late 50s that I love is Charlie Parker and Duke yet again, the mood has to be right.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Infamous 78 collector Joe Bussard did not like blues or jazz recorded past the 30s. I can listen to that real old time stuff once in a while, provided I'm in a particular mood. My prime era for jazz is from the late 50s into the 60s though I have recordings from the later decades as well. The only stuff recorded before the late 50s that I love is Charlie Parker and Duke yet again, the mood has to be right.
    Then he was like my dad. They should have met.

I used to think I only liked old big-band jazz: Benny Goodman and Cab Calloway were my two favorites (and I still love 'em both). I thought "modern jazz" was pointless noodling.

Then I heard Dizzy Gillespie's "Salt Peanuts" and I said, "Yeah, that's got something, even if I don't quite know what it is."

And then I heard A Love Supreme and the top of my head was properly blown off.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Because he didn't like anything that came after it, like swing, be-bop, postbop and whatever. He even cancelled his subscription on a magazine, dedicated to traditional jazz, because it also wrote about stuff recorded after 1935. That's where the Brian Rust discographies seem to end. He had a whole collection of those, which are now under my bed.
    Did he explain "why" he didn't like it? Didn't like improv? Note selection? Too weird? Didn't swing enough? Stripped down instrumentation?

Quote Originally Posted by John Miner View Post
    Did he explain "why" he didn't like it? Didn't like improv? Note selection? Too weird? Didn't swing enough? Stripped down instrumentation?
    He knew what he liked .. and liked what he knew
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by John Miner View Post
    He was fine with improvisation, within limits I suppose, though he hated musicians who overdid it and played to many notes. A drummer should be felt, not heard and a piano-player was there just for accompinement, so chords and the likes and no soloing.

My dad also had a Ry Cooder album and an Achim Reichel album in his collection.

My dad also had a Ry Cooder album and an Achim Reichel album in his collection.
    I'm guessing one of his 60's albums prior to A.R. & Machines?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm guessing one of his 60's albums prior to A.R. & Machines?
    No, one of his later albums, with songs more or less based on German songs titled Volxlieder. Weirdly enough he didn't like any of the other albums in the same vein.

No, one of his later albums, with songs more or less based on German songs titled Volxlieder. Weirdly enough he didn't like any of the other albums in the same vein.
    Ah, ok...interpretations of German folks songs. Makes sense
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com