Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are we a dying breed?

Are we a dying breed?

Since 2019, I have been playing almost exclusively on the streets of local Texas towns and cities. I play 60's 70's and 80's music. Some fairly deep tracks, some prog, but mostly the old FM format rock songs. There are occasional times when some people really, really dig the music, and comment on how they miss that musical era.

In the last year, there have been far fewer people who "get" the genre's I'm playing. I'm wondering if all of us who were privileged to live thru that era of music are just getting too old to go out anymore. Sometimes its young kids who's parents (or grandparents) raised them to love this music, but there are almost no older people who still know what great music was out there in the '60-'80 era.

I actually enjoy it when people ask me why I don't play newer music...

I think I'd rather die.

Are we a dying breed?
    Yes.

All in all, we are a very dying race.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Since 2019, I have been playing almost exclusively on the streets of local Texas towns and cities. I play 60's 70's and 80's music. Some fairly deep tracks, some prog, but mostly the old FM format rock songs. There are occasional times when some people really, really dig the music, and comment on how they miss that musical era.

In the last year, there have been far fewer people who "get" the genre's I'm playing. I'm wondering if all of us who were privileged to live thru that era of music are just getting too old to go out anymore. Sometimes its young kids who's parents (or grandparents) raised them to love this music, but there are almost no older people who still know what great music was out there in the '60-'80 era.

I actually enjoy it when people ask me why I don't play newer music...

I think I'd rather die.
    Not 100% sure I can agree with this. I have numerous friends older than me (i.e. at or past retirement age) who are still actively engaged in the music they love, and are frequently out enjoying live renditions (be it the actual bands, or tribute bands). Closer to home, my mom is almost 80 and continues to get excited about seeing some artists in concert whenever possible.

Regarding your last sentence...the speed with which the world changes in general can be dizzying, and I do believe that the pandemic even accelerated certain trends with how we interact with one another. For some folks, perhaps especially folks who are a bit older, it can be deeply disorienting and discouraging.

I'm (just barely) young enough that it's easy to dismiss me with "what do I know about feeling old" shrugs, and maybe that's true. I can only observe the difference between folks who lament the changes and look back with ever more fondness/yearning, and folks like my mom who is visiting me this weekend and with whom I've had extended and lively conversations about A.I., music, travel, (light) politics and more. It suggests to me that falling out with the world isn't unavoidable or irreversible.

We've obviously never met and I don't presume to know you very closely. I've read your posts in the past; you clearly have talent and passion for your talent. I also sense considerable lament along the way. My hope is that you find a means to reconnect with that passion even as the world shifts around us all.

- John
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Well, yes, but.
    We went to see Kenny Loggins last week, yeah that guy.
    Great show, many old songs that everyone knew the words to.
    Some of which were 'deep cuts' my wife ( the fan ) was not familiar with.
    Two sold out nights.
    The opening act was the "Yacht Rock Revue".
    There were people in the audience that went nuts for the late 70's-80's hits they were playing.
    Not a deep cut in their repertoire.
    The audience skewed old, but there were lots of younger folks too.
    It's easy to see the huge crowds that come for the more recent acts and wonder why they are so popular.
    I saw the same thing with my folks in the 60's and 70's.
    But big band music still exists in spite of and in some cases because of it's qualities as a genre type.
    Privilege plays a part in popularity. It means that money is spent on entertainment less frequently in more focused ways.
    I've always been surprised at the reaction I get from co-workers when I relate my concert going. I'm not a hard core concert goer, but for a lot of folks seeing one or two shows in a year or so is a lot.
    And then its a 'state fair', beer festival, or giant outdoor venue nostalgia act.
    As the pool of music expands along with the population some genres seem diluted but are still there.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

People over a certain age don't like "music" per se. They like reliving their youth through what they listened to in their youth. Such people are literally dying, shrinking the audience for such music.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    People over a certain age don't like "music" per se. They like reliving their youth through what they listened to in their youth. Such people are literally dying, shrinking the audience for such music.
    Yup. Those are the people who, if their favorite band have a new album out, complain that the group not plays enough of their old stuff during a concert. "We don't want to hear new stuff, we want the stuff we are used to."

And yes, older music reminds me perhaps on a past gone by, perhaps not a happier time, but a time a still had my future ahead of me and I could dream of things getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Yup. Those are the people who, if their favorite band have a new album out, complain that the group not plays enough of their old stuff during a concert. "We don't want to hear new stuff, we want the stuff we are used to."

And yes, older music reminds me perhaps on a past gone by, perhaps not a happier time, but a time a still had my future ahead of me and I could dream of things getting better.
    It wasn't only that way. A few decades ago audiences went to a concert expecting to hear material from the new album. If it was just rehashing old material, we would've called that a wasted concert ticket. "We" being people of a certain age. Of course it's different among us progheads.

Agreed. At 51, my brain is in constant active-search mode when it comes to music I have not yet heard. I have my die-hard, lifelong favorites, but I know there's so much more out there and I don't want to leave this planet having not heard as much as I can. Hell, only in the last couple of weeks have I discovered Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Phideaux and Landberk for myself.

It wasn't only that way. A few decades ago audiences went to a concert expecting to hear material from the new album. If it was just rehashing old material, we would've called that a wasted concert ticket. "We" being people of a certain age. Of course it's different among us progheads.
    Young fans of young acts still do go to concerts expecting to hear new material.

And progheads do go to concerts expecting, say, Steve Hackett to play fifty-year-old Genesis material...

This is probably completely irrelevant to your point, but I just wanted to mention that at my son's wedding this weekend they hired an acoustic guitarist who played "Mood For A Day" (which began with the intro from Roundabout) and even Zappa's "Blessed Relief". I was probably one of 3 people there who recognized the Zappa tune.
    <sig out of order>

Some of the music survives. Some resurfaces. There was an article recently in the Atlantic about the unlikely resurgence of Steely Dan among the young 'uns. https://archive.is/omsLu Hell, CDs are starting to make a comeback. So yeah, a good portion of the music of our youth is irrelevant but some of it endures. Music isn't consumed or enjoyed the same way it was when we were young (outlier: the leggy Taylor Swift).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ...and what about Kate Bush and Running Up The Hill.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I was born in the 80s, but listen to the 60/70s, except I just keep expanding (usually to other countries, recommendations, etc).. I noticed that as I got older, the audiences remained young, even a "non-cool" concert like the Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    I was born in the 80s, but listen to the 60/70s, except I just keep expanding (usually to other countries, recommendations, etc).. I noticed that as I got older, the audiences remained young, even a "non-cool" concert like the Eagles
    I was born in 1959, but I still have a weak spot for the 80s, because it was an important decade in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Young fans of young acts still do go to concerts expecting to hear new material.

And progheads do go to concerts expecting, say, Steve Hackett to play fifty-year-old Genesis material...
    True, but more hardcore progheads go to a Transatlantic or Flower Kings show expecting to hear new material.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I was born in 1959, but I still have a weak spot for the 80s, because it was an important decade in my life.
    I was born in 65, but I consider the 80s when I came of age comically ridiculous and over the top. The hair styles were ridiculous. The clothing fashions were ridiculous. Most movies and TV shows were forgettable and over the top. Most of the music was forgettable and ridiculous. Even the cars were ugly with boxy, angular bodies.

I was born in 65, but I consider the 80s when I came of age comically ridiculous and over the top. The hair styles were ridiculous. The clothing fashions were ridiculous. Most movies and TV shows were forgettable and over the top. Most of the music was forgettable and ridiculous. Even the cars were ugly with boxy, angular bodies.
    I'm an 80's boy and I remain quite fond of that decade. Sometimes cocaine really IS one hell of a drug.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I have lots of memories with music of the 80s, which I remember fondly. Fashion perhaps not so much, but my mom made most of my clothes, so I was less dependent of the fashion of the day. I've always remove shoulderpads from clothing I bought. My mom was very good at making clothes. I remember the owner of an exclusive fashionstore complimented me with a dress my mom made for me.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Well, yes, but.
    We went to see Kenny Loggins last week, yeah that guy.
    Great show, many old songs that everyone knew the words to.
    Some of which were 'deep cuts' my wife ( the fan ) was not familiar with.
    Two sold out nights.
    The opening act was the "Yacht Rock Revue".
    There were people in the audience that went nuts for the late 70's-80's hits they were playing.
    Not a deep cut in their repertoire.
    The audience skewed old, but there were lots of younger folks too.
    It's easy to see the huge crowds that come for the more recent acts and wonder why they are so popular.
    I saw the same thing with my folks in the 60's and 70's.
    But big band music still exists in spite of and in some cases because of it's qualities as a genre type.
    Privilege plays a part in popularity. It means that money is spent on entertainment less frequently in more focused ways.
    I've always been surprised at the reaction I get from co-workers when I relate my concert going. I'm not a hard core concert goer, but for a lot of folks seeing one or two shows in a year or so is a lot.
    And then its a 'state fair', beer festival, or giant outdoor venue nostalgia act.
    As the pool of music expands along with the population some genres seem diluted but are still there.

I tapped reply on the wrong message….

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Not 100% sure I can agree with this. I have numerous friends older than me (i.e. at or past retirement age) who are still actively engaged in the music they love, and are frequently out enjoying live renditions (be it the actual bands, or tribute bands). Closer to home, my mom is almost 80 and continues to get excited about seeing some artists in concert whenever possible.

Regarding your last sentence...the speed with which the world changes in general can be dizzying, and I do believe that the pandemic even accelerated certain trends with how we interact with one another. For some folks, perhaps especially folks who are a bit older, it can be deeply disorienting and discouraging.

I'm (just barely) young enough that it's easy to dismiss me with "what do I know about feeling old" shrugs, and maybe that's true. I can only observe the difference between folks who lament the changes and look back with ever more fondness/yearning, and folks like my mom who is visiting me this weekend and with whom I've had extended and lively conversations about A.I., music, travel, (light) politics and more. It suggests to me that falling out with the world isn't unavoidable or irreversible.

We've obviously never met and I don't presume to know you very closely. I've read your posts in the past; you clearly have talent and passion for your talent. I also sense considerable lament along the way. My hope is that you find a means to reconnect with that passion even as the world shifts around us all.

- John
    What a great post, John!

I think the main dynamic is that as John says, things are moving so fast now. So many genres and interests are effectively pushed to the side.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Frog in boiling water

Well, I just turned 65 this year, and I've never felt more disconnected from the world around me. Recently, I've become increasingly aware that I have become invisible, as if most people out in the public arena aren't even aware that I exists. It is both fascinating and liberating at the same time. As for music, as much as I try to keep up with current musical trends, in part thanks to my grandson, I'm finding less and less interesting new music and originality with younger bands is almost nonexistent. I really have no favorite decade as far as music is concerned, but I do tend to play a lot from the 60's through the early 2000's. What I do believe, is a lot of people don't value music the way my generation did. We listened to music as an activity...it wasn't just background noise...we were engaged with it. Pouring over the lyrics and cover art, trying to decipher the meaning...I still do these things. Other than online in places like this, I don't know anyone who does that. As with all things, I think that an appreciation for music will cycle back around....if for no other reason than for teens to have something to annoy their parents with.
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

^^^

Not to worry folks - there's one hellva party getting going in the next world.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

I don't want to be that guy, but I'd really like to hear from Yodelgoat (original poster) and make sure all is OK.