Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Women's World Cup

Well, you're in for some surprises

Hoooooly shit! That Jamaica - Brazil game may have been the best in group play, not that I saw all of them. Jamaica has not conceded a goal so far and held Brazil scoreless for the first time since 1991. Which means Brazil is out. Unbelievable.

France beat Panama, as expected. I don't think what was expected, however, is that Panama scored 3 goals against a good French defense. Final score: 5-3.

Edit: Yes, I'm watching the World Cup at work.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I would like to see Sweden beat the US.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I would like to see Sweden beat the US.
    Is there a reason? Are you of Swedish descent?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Are you of Swedish descent?
    I am and I want the U.S. to win.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

My favorite moment of the World Cup, so far:

https://twitter.com/BeebzSancheez/st...=BeebzSancheez

That's Canada's left back, Alyssa Chapman, yelling at Australia's coach, Tony Gustavsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    US is out as well. Alas.
    Penalty kicks is a joke to determine a winner in world games. Even hockey has sense enough in the playoffs to play until someone wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Penalty kicks is a joke to determine a winner in world games. Even hockey has sense enough in the playoffs to play until someone wins.
    Yeah, but sudden death is not perfect either. And hockey (I suppose you mean ice hockey and not field hockey) is a completely different game. I think they tried the sudden death rule, but it didn't work out that well.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They did, it got even more defensive, trouble is players need to play again so you can't play indefinitely
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I agree. It's like you play an adult game for two hours (including the two 15-minute overtime periods), then you revert to a playground game of kickball for all the marbles. Both teams played very well. It's a shame to decide the outcome on penalty kicks. After staying up all night to watch the game, I wanted to see someone score a goal.

Now that the US is out, will Fox stop showing the remainder of the games? I enjoy watching any world cup game they put on my TV.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I agree. It's like you play an adult game for two hours (including the two 15-minute overtime periods), then you revert to a playground game of kickball for all the marbles. Both teams played very well. It's a shame to decide the outcome on penalty kicks. After staying up all night to watch the game, I wanted to see someone score a goal.

Now that the US is out, will Fox stop showing the remainder of the games? I enjoy watching any world cup game they put on my TV.
    I'm not sure what a better solution would be.

The outcome of the US - Sweden game is what it is. Don't blame the sport or the rules for the failings of the coach and the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    Even hockey has sense enough in the playoffs to play until someone wins
    Apples and oranges.

I agree. It's like you play an adult game for two hours (including the two 15-minute overtime periods), then you revert to a playground game of kickball for all the marbles.
    I refer you to Ian's comment above.

Btw, are you aware that a soccer player runs about twice the distance or more as an NFL receiver? And you want them to play indefinitely until someone wins?

No.

The England vs Nigeria game is on Monday morning at 2:30 central. Don't miss this one! I think England has the best odds of winning it all and is who I'll be cheering on for the remainder of the World Cup.

Australia vs Denmark is on Monday morning at 5:30 central.
    Last edited by Hal...; 08-06-2023 at 03:58 PM.

The outcome of the US - Sweden game is what it is. Don't blame the sport or the rules for the failings of the coach and the players.

Apples and oranges.

I refer you to Ian's comment above.

Btw, are you aware that a soccer player runs about twice the distance or more as an NFL receiver? And you want them to play indefinitely until someone wins?
    They tried sudden death, but that didn't work. If every side just keeps defending, because they don't want to loose, you can play forever. In the end there will never be a perfect solution.

I view the penalty shootout as the least worst solution, there have been dozens and dozens of suggestions over the years but nothing less worse. You just need to win in regulation or overtime and its not an issue.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

All these Golden Goal or silver Goal didn't workout. Shootouts may not be perfect but are perfect drama.

Is there a reason? Are you of Swedish descent?
    No, I just find their arrogance insufferable.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Hal...
    I'm aware they run a lot. As in basketball, much of the game consists of running, and soccer players run greater distances than basketball players do. And I don't want them to play until they drop. That would be cruel. BTW, I gave up on the NFL years ago, but I will continue to watch soccer. Sometimes I catch a game on one of the Spanish language channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird
    They tried sudden death, but that didn't work. If every side just keeps defending, because they don't want to loose, you can play forever. In the end there will never be a perfect solution.
    I don't have a solution, perfect or not. Sometimes I just like to complain, such as when I lose a whole night's sleep over a game. The game was on from 2:00 am to 5:00 am here.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad
    I view the penalty shootout as the least worst solution, there have been dozens and dozens of suggestions over the years but nothing less worse. You just need to win in regulation or overtime and its not an issue.
    True.
    Frog in boiling water

I'm aware they run a lot. As in basketball, much of the game consists of running, and soccer players run greater distances than basketball players do. And I don't want them to play until they drop. That would be cruel. BTW, I gave up on the NFL years ago, but I will continue to watch soccer. Sometimes I catch a game on one of the Spanish language channels.

I don't have a solution, perfect or not. Sometimes I just like to complain, such as when I lose a whole night's sleep over a game. The game was on from 2:00 am to 5:00 am here.

True.
    Isn't complaining one of the attracting things from soccer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird
    Isn't complaining one of the attracting things from soccer?
    I guess it is. To tell the truth, I'm married, so I don't hear all the complaining (even my own ). Selective hearing is a survival mechanism.
    Frog in boiling water

They do in basketball and they run up and down the court. Could you imagine foul shots deciding game seven.

It a bit easier to put a ball in a hoop that score a goal. I never understand why people cheer a basket, there's going to be another one in 30 seconds
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

They do in basketball and they run up and down the court. Could you imagine foul shots deciding game seven.
    I was a little off in my previous comment. Receivers and cornerbacks in the NFL cover about 1¼ miles a game. Basketball players cover less than 3. Furthermore, they only play four quarters in the NBA and each quarter is 12 minutes, for a total of 48. Soccer players play that long per half (with stoppage time).

Comparatively, in soccer, they play two 45 minute halves plus stoppage time. Total distance averaged 6.5 miles for the semi-finalists of a previous WC, according to a study of the women's game done by FIFA. And that doesn't include extra time, which is an additional two 15 minute halves. And if they get to that point, and there is considerable stoppage time, a soccer match can last as much as 2¼ hours. Now you're looking at distances of 8-9 miles... or more. Not to mention they have to turn around and play another match 4-5 days later.

And you want them to keep playing and risk injury???

I get it. You're disappointed the US lost. But consider: this is the first time the US has never made it to the semi-finals. So if you want to criticize something, don't criticize the rules, criticize the coach and players.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It a bit easier to put a ball in a hoop that score a goal. I never understand why people cheer a basket, there's going to be another one in 30 seconds