Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What surround mix did you listen today?

I guess it was one of his first surround mixes: Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream, released on in 2006 in a CD/DVDA-set. Listened to it yesterday. Especially Chris Maitland's drums are all over the place. Over all an very full surround sound.

I guess I should have named this thread "What surround mix did I listen today?

Anyway, I listened to the DVD-audio-version released in 2001 of the one and only Toy Matinee. Kevin Gilbert and Patrick Leonard, together with Brian MacLeod, Tim Pierce, Guy Pratt and backgound singers like Julioan Lennon and Derga McBroom made such a great sounding progressive pop-album in 1990 that comes to live in a wonderful 5.1 surround mix.

The versions with the surround-mix is hard to get these days. If you want a very good alternative: try to get the Special Edition-CD on Unitone Recordings from 2001, including some fine bonustracks.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Yesterday I listened to the SACD Act Of Free Choice (2000) by David Bridie. His music can be described as a mixture of ambient pop, orchestral pop, Britpop and a bit of Lou Reed. If you like the noises on Roger Waters' Amused To Death, you'll enjoy this one too. Bridie uses a lot of field recordings, sampled dialogues etc and those effects plus the music make this to a great surround experience. The SACD is still available for good prices: https://www.discogs.com/release/3080...Of-Free-Choice
    I didn't know this when I bought this disk, but later I realized I had another recording of Bridie: The Little Desert (1985), the LP from his band Not Drowning, Waving, and yes, on that one plenty of field recordings are used too.
    B.t.w. I noticed on Discogs Bridie did a lot of soundracks, so it's no surprise he loves those field recordings.
    Two excellent posts! Thank you for all this info!
    I have always been intrigued by SACD but have not dipped my toe into that word.

Been a busy holiday season so not as much time for listening.

Recently played -

Alan Parsons - Tales
    Jakszyk Collins and Fripp - Scarcity of miracles
    Jakko - Secrets and Lies
    KC - Lizard
    Helmet of Gnats

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post

Recently played -

Alan Parsons - Tales
    Jakko - Secrets and Lies
    KC - Lizard
    Helmet of Gnats
    They're all in my collection too! So much great stuff to be listened to in surround.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Two excellent posts! Thank you for all this info!
    I have always been intrigued by SACD but have not dipped my toe into that word.
    Thanks.
    Well, I hesitated first too to go for SACD's, but after I bought my DVD/SACD-player (to watch a Kenso-DVD) I got curious and when I heard The Dark Side Of The Moon in the store I was convinced it was something for me too.
    SACD's didn't become a big market though; I believe the most disks are being made with classical music. I guess Blu-Ray more or less took over.

Recently played -

Alan Parsons - Tales
    Jakko - Secrets and Lies
    KC - Lizard
    Helmet of Gnats
    Tales of Mystery and Imagination!

One of my top three albums!!!

And Interbellum…if you were truly the only poster on this thread I would still cite it as one of the better threads on PE. This subject is clearly important to a few of us, so I am pleased we can share info about some great Surround titles.

They're all in my collection too! So much great stuff to be listened to in surround.
    I knew you had good taste .

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Tales of Mystery and Imagination!

One of my top three albums!!!

And Interbellum…if you were truly the only poster on this thread I would still cite it as one of the better threads on PE. This subject is clearly important to a few of us, so I am pleased we can share info about some great Surround titles.
    I agree - Tales is high on my list of all time favourites. I remember when it came out - on a regular trip to the record store (remember those?) there was a big display with a version of the mummy done in recording tape. Based on the description and that it had John Miles and members of Ambrosia on it I bought it and have had many hours of listening pleasure.

I'm still not convinced about the added guitar solo but I've come to accept it - and I have the MoFi version which is the original mix when I'm in more of a purist mood.

And I also agree that Inter's posts are always welcome - he's alerted me to several albums I didn't know about. Much to the detriment of my bank account.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I first heard The Fall Of The House Of Usher in 1976 when I was on holiday on the island Texel (The Netherlands). Our radio could pick up the signal of one of those pirate-ships and they played the whole suite! Back home one of the first things I did was buying that beauty, although I must admit that after the first two tracks I was shocked to hear the screaming of Arthur Brown in The Tell-Tale Heart. Of course I got used to it, also because I became aware of the stories of Edgar Allan Poe the Project told.

And yes, although the mix from 1987 adds some fine guitar- and drum-playing, I still prefer the original mix. Don't have the MoFi-version but the LP and the 2007 2-CD-version which contains both mixes. And of course the Blu-Ray

Well hot damn - I had completely gapped on the fact that the Bluray has the original mix on it as week - thanks for that.

Well hot damn - I had completely gapped on the fact that the Bluray has the original mix on it as week - thanks for that.
    …I always feel it is the one reason to buy the fancy re-releases…you get the original mix as well with most of the deluxe packages.

And yes, I too fell for the Alan Parsons album when it was first released.

Alan Parsons - Tales
    I was also in the Alan Parsons-mood, but choose two of his production-jobs: Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat and Time Passages (second half only due to time limits). Both were recently rereleased in deluxe sets with two extra CD's with live-stuff and a DVD with the albums in 5.1 surround mixes, done by Parsons himself. Wonderful symphonic popmusic. The surround mixes brings the music much more to life in my opinion; there's a lot more dynamic, more "balls".

Agreed on Year of the Cat - I didn't get the Time Passages reissue as I've always found it kind of boring. I like the title track and Valentina Way a lot but after that I feel like he was trying to recreate the feel of YotC but with not very interesting songs.

But yes the surround of YotC definitely brings more richness to the sound. I was hoping for a remix of Modern Times and 24 Carrots but those have come out as remasters only.

Agreed on Year of the Cat - I didn't get the Time Passages reissue as I've always found it kind of boring. I like the title track and Valentina Way a lot but after that I feel like he was trying to recreate the feel of YotC but with not very interesting songs.

But yes the surround of YotC definitely brings more richness to the sound. I was hoping for a remix of Modern Times and 24 Carrots but those have come out as remasters only.
    I didn't know Time Passages, but heard The Palace Of Versailles a couple of times on the radio and felt in love with it; especially the melancholic synth-theme and the guitar solo did it for me. So when this set came out I went for it.

Yes Palace of Versailles is also good but the good songs don't rescue the rest of the album for me.

Listened again and realized Song on the Radio seemed long because it is - 6 minutes long but seems to go on for about a week.

It's a good one, but don't be surprised to hear different things than the original LP/CD offered. Jakko Jakszyk did the 5.1 mix; Stephen W. Tayler who was the engineer and prduction assistant on the original recordings wasn't unhappy with the result.
    Neither was I, it was dreadful!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The Who: Tommy - a SACD (well, in fact, two SACD, the second disk contains demo's, outtakes, etc.) released in one of those Deluxe Edition-packages. Although I'm more into Quadrophonia, this surround mix is fine to listen to. Especially the acoustic guitars and vocals are getting a lot of attention on all speakers.

The Who: Tommy - a SACD (well, in fact, two SACD, the second disk contains demo's, outtakes, etc.) released in one of those Deluxe Edition-packages. Although I'm more into Quadrophonia, this surround mix is fine to listen to. Especially the acoustic guitars and vocals are getting a lot of attention on all speakers.
    Quadrophenia was crafted specifically for quad sound. Leave it to Pete to stretch new technologies to their extreme.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Quadrophenia was crafted specifically for quad sound. Leave it to Pete to stretch new technologies to their extreme.
    I was slightly disappointed that the deluxe Quadrophenia - Director's Cut (2011) contained DVD-A with just the highlights (8 tracks) of the album in surround sound. The good point is: they choose my favourite songs!: https://www.discogs.com/release/3818...o-Quadrophenia

Three years later a Blu-Ray was released with the complete double-album in surround mix: https://www.discogs.com/release/5897...o-Quadrophenia

Just noticed that there's also a less expensive way to get the complete album in surround: Quadrophenia (Live In London) (2014): https://www.discogs.com/release/5895...Live-In-London

Just listened to Flesh On Flesh by Al Di Meola. This surround recording was released in 2002 by Telarc, a label specialized in SACD's. And you can hear that. If you want to hear the potential of your system with a fine electro-acoustic jazzrock-album, this is the one to go for.
    Some short reviews can be found over here: https://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1126

So for no particular reason I got into non stop Italian RPI listening mode for the past few days.

It got me thinking - are there any of the classic 70's Italian bands that have had the 5.1 mix treatment?

I think one or two of the more recent PFM albums did but can't think of any of the 70's releases?

Anything I'm missing?

Good question which I cannot answer though. I do have some RPI-recordings, but I'm not a big fan.

There is an old BBC-recording from 1975 featuring P.F.M. (just found out) that was recorded in surround but never released:

Just listened to Flesh On Flesh by Al Di Meola. This surround recording was released in 2002 by Telarc, a label specialized in SACD's. And you can hear that. If you want to hear the potential of your system with a fine electro-acoustic jazzrock-album, this is the one to go for.
    Some short reviews can be found over here: https://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1126
    That is a fine record. I’d love to hear the SACD.

I wish we could get Orange and Blue in surround. That is one of his best.

I finally pulled the trigger and got hold of i/o, the new album of Peter Gabriel.
    Of course I have the 2CD/Blu-Ray-version, because I heard good stories about the Dolby Atmos-mix.
    And that one is indeed very good.
    From his discography I am very fond of the first four albums. On the LP's that came after them Gabriel went often a too commercial path in my view. Good songs, but sometimes a bit too much repetition.
    This album has that too, some of the songs sound like versions of earlier work, although there's a lot to discover and it's all in all a good one.

I just played the 2002-DTS 5.1 Music Disc-version of Steve Lukather's Candyman, originally released in 1994; in the USA it was released under the bandname Los Lobotomys. It was Toto's guitarist/singer's second solo-recording and had amongst others Simon Phillips on drums (his first recording after his moving to the USA). It's a pleassant, rocking surround mix, with a lot of percussion-details in the back (there are two percussionists!).