Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: What surround mix did you listen today?

My favorite Steely Dan-album is Royal Scam, so I would love to hear that one in surround one day. Gaucho is a good one too, but, but I like the more rocky elements on Royal Scam.

Yesterday I received and listened to a brand new 5.1 surround mix: Human's Lib, the debut album from Howard Jones, originally released in 1984 and produced by the late Rupert Hine.
    Human's Lib is a special album. Not only it was one of the most popular progressive synthipop-album of its period, these new mixes (there's also a new stereo mix on this Blu-Ray/CD-set released by Cherry Red Records) are made by the same person who engineered the original music: our PE-member Stephen W Tayler! Finally another PE-member, Anil Prasad, wrote the liner-notes, including a song-by-song commentary by both Jones and Tayler.

Well, Stephen did a wonderful job here: the "playing" with the rhythm-tracks, backing-vocals and effects placed on all speakers is done with a lot of taste and care for the original recordings. For these mixes he even altered the ending of some of the songs by replacing the fade-outs by stretching the songs a bit so they run smoothly into the next one.

The Blu-Ray visuals during the songs are also created by Stephen; some of the graphics remind me of his own visuals for the surround mix on the DVD/CD-set Da Capo.

Finally Bob Clearmountain created Dolby Atmos Remixes of the most famous tracks of this album, What Is Love?, Hide And Seek and New Song.

More information on https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...m-into-action/

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    My favorite Steely Dan-album is Royal Scam, so I would love to hear that one in surround one day. Gaucho is a good one too, but, but I like the more rocky elements on Royal Scam.

Yesterday I received and listened to a brand new 5.1 surround mix: Human's Lib, the debut album from Howard Jones, originally released in 1984 and produced by the late Rupert Hine.
    Human's Lib is a special album. Not only it was one of the most popular progressive synthipop-album of its period, these new mixes (there's also a new stereo mix on this Blu-Ray/CD-set released by Cherry Red Records) are made by the same person who engineered the original music: our PE-member Stephen W Tayler! Finally another PE-member, Anil Prasad, wrote the liner-notes, including a song-by-song commentary by both Jones and Tayler.

Well, Stephen did a wonderful job here: the "playing" with the rhythm-tracks, backing-vocals and effects placed on all speakers is done with a lot of taste and care for the original recordings. For these mixes he even altered the ending of some of the songs by replacing the fade-outs by stretching the songs a bit so they run smoothly into the next one.

The Blu-Ray visuals during the songs are also created by Stephen; some of the graphics remind me of his own visuals for the surround mix on the DVD/CD-set Da Capo.

Finally Bob Clearmountain created Dolby Atmos Remixes of the most famous tracks of this album, What Is Love?, Hide And Seek and New Song.

More information on https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...m-into-action/
    You make it sound very intriguing. I don’t recall too much about the album so I will re-familiarize myself with the tunes.

As always, thank you!

Santana's Greatest hits on quad 8-Track tape. Surrounded by percussion, while Carlos' guitar periodically swirls around the room. A little gimmicky yes, but thoroughly enjoyable.

I picked up the quad 8-Track player for a steal, literally. A local used record store has shelves in the back where they stack their non-working equipment. The player caught my eye. I picked it up and asked the proprietor what the issue was with it. He didn't really know why it wasn't working, and said I could just take it. When I opened it, the problem was easy to find. The capstan had retracted from the flywheel, and was no longer providing the fulcrum supporting it. Causing the flywheel to rest on the retaining bracket, preventing it from rotating. I applied some Gorilla Glue. The wet glue lubricated the capstan so it would easily slide back in the flywheel. After the glue dried, it worked like a champ...other than the heads being badly out of alignment. I spent more time on that than fixing what was wrong with it.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Santana's Greatest hits on quad 8-Track tape. Surrounded by percussion, while Carlos' guitar periodically swirls around the room. A little gimmicky yes, but thoroughly enjoyable.
    Santana's Greatest Hits was my first LP!! Got it on my birthday Febr. 16th 1975 and I've played it over and over again.
    Although I guess I've got most of the tracks on it in surround by now because of the Japanese releases of the original albums they came of, I would love to have a 5.1 mix of that album. But I guess Borboletta will be the first Sony Japan will release.

Santana's Greatest Hits was my first LP!! Got it on my birthday Febr. 16th 1975 and I've played it over and over again.
    Although I guess I've got most of the tracks on it in surround by now because of the Japanese releases of the original albums they came of, I would love to have a 5.1 mix of that album. But I guess Borboletta will be the first Sony Japan will release.
    So cool! That is a great first album. One of my first 45s was “Evil Woman.” I drummed to that as well as the classic pop tune “Venus.” Since I had 12” albums from a very early age I do not remember which was first. (My very first 45 was “Puff the Magic Dragon” by PPM. A neighbor eventually tossed it from the top of his stairs for some dumb reason. Perhaps that is why I have a somewhat hard time letting go of vinyl! I jest mostly…about a year ago I sold most of my vinyl records. I did hold onto my classic Art Rock albums of course (yes, I hate saying the word “Progressive”)).

^^ "Progressive" is often mistaken for politics among those unfamiliar. I've seen posts on Craig's List wanting to start a band with a progressive political message. Calling it "progressive rock."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ "Progressive" is often mistaken for politics among those unfamiliar. I've seen posts on Craig's List wanting to start a band with a progressive political message. Calling it "progressive rock."
    I never have heard that!

Labels often cause confusion and make it difficult to get traction in the marketplace. The worst is when a talented musician cannot make it because marketing “thinks they play too many genres.” The late, great Danny Gaston is the perfect example. He could not be pigeonholed so he languished in obscurity until he was so sad he committed suicide.

Played Wakeman's Red Planet last night - nice mix with the band mostly in the front speakers and the keyboards spread around.

For me it's his strongest album in a long time and I enjoy the surround version even more.

From Rick Wakeman ^^ (I only have his Journey To The Centre Of The Earth on LP) to Jon Anderson is a small step
    I just played Mike Oldfield's 8th album, Crisis from 1983 in surround-sound, featuring the song In High Places with Anderson guesting on vocals.
    But to be honest I bought this boxset from 2013 (3CD/2DVD) especially to hear Simon Phillips' monster-drumming in 5.1 surround. And what a pleasure it is!

From Rick Wakeman ^^ (I only have his Journey To The Centre Of The Earth on LP) to Jon Anderson is a small step
    I just played Mike Oldfield's 8th album, Crisis from 1983 in surround-sound, featuring the song In High Places with Anderson guesting on vocals.
    But to be honest I bought this boxset from 2013 (3CD/2DVD) especially to hear Simon Phillips' monster-drumming in 5.1 surround. And what a pleasure it is!
    Nice seque between albums - and yes Phillips' playing on Crises is great.

If you're a fan of Wakeman at all I recommend Red Planet - maybe his best album since the 70s?

On repeat: Renaissance's Azure D'Or. Such a fine surround mix especially because the band used a lot of acoustic instruments which match great with the orchestral keyboard-sounds.

Friday I listened to the only album by RPWL I own: World Through My Eyes. This album was released in 2005 on SACD with a fine multi-channel surround mix. RPWL is very much inspired by Pink Floyd and you can hear that clearly on this album too. Nice surround-effects (of course a lot of echoing words ).