Thread: RIP Director William Friedkin

RIP Director William Friedkin

Friedkin , best remembered as the director of The Exorcist and The French Connection passed at 87 Those two films are considered his best , and he never had the phenomenal financial and popular success they brought again in his career. But he continued to make interesting films , To Live And Die In LA , Sorcerer come to mind. The Old Gaurd continues to fade away. RIP.

Who chose Tubular Bells as soundtrack !

RIP to the man behind one of my all-time favorite thrillers, although he has been noted in the RIP Thread already with several posts.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    RIP to the man behind one of my all-time favorite thrillers, although he has been noted in the RIP Thread already with several posts.
    The French Connection was certainly a great film... not really familiar with much of his work other than the Exorcist. I remember the summer the Exorcist came out. There was a drive in theatre near us and there was a lumber and brick yard connected at the back fence of the drive in. We used to climb the pallets of bricks and watch movies and drink beer from there all the time. Probably saw the Exorcist a dozen times from there.

Anyway, was Friedkin the director Peter met with about making the Lamb into a movie?

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Anyway, was Friedkin the director Peter met with about making the Lamb into a movie?
    No. He did meet with him after Friedkin read the story on the back of the Live album though, when Friedkin was looking for people to work with whom he thought could provide new and interesting ideas.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sad news.

Never saw The Exorcist, but he seemed like a pretty smart and funny guy. The interview between him and Nicolas Winding Refn was great.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Who chose Tubular Bells as soundtrack !

I read if he had known about Tangerine Dream he would of had them do the soundtrack. I can't imagine it without Tubular Bells.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I've always been more familiar with his early movies but somehow missed Sorcerer until recently. Very good movie and soundtrack. Killer Joe is a recent-ish movie of him that I really enjoyed. RIP to a true original.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    That was Alejandro Jodorowsky.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The French Connection and The Exorcist are absolute total strokes of firm genius. Both on my top-25 films of all time.

Cruising is an intriguing experiment in narrative form adjustment and delusional limits of "interactive" vocation (as to receiving end) - sought not to neither tempt, distance, appall or confuse but rather lure the viewer into cognitive dissonance and deliberate transcendence of acceptance, but ultimately unsuccessful as it tends to veer into somewhat unwanted-for ridicule of features. And by this I don't mean nitpicking on alleged discrimination of various sexual minorities in countercultural logistics etc. I watched this on VHS in 1984, my mother having rented it due to Friedkin's overall rep and her respect or love for (or attraction) to Hackman's 'Popeye'-character in The French Connection. Needless to say she quickly fell dull to means of formality and dealings, signal always being that when she didn't like a movie she'd resort to knitting instead, while still pretending to be partly watching. "[...] Semi-Gaypacino doesn't cut it", as I recall. You can imagine how it was seeing Brian De Palma's Body Double with my mom in the room. Ghast.

Sorcerer -definitely- ought to be seen. Along with assortments by Kubrick it's the one single lever of achievement by a 'New Hollywood' director to reach a fringe of what Angelopoulos and Herzog were doing as singular cinematic composition-techniques and dramatic tell-tale linguistics in Europe. But beware; it may appear overacted, demented/deranged in notions of "message" and the brink of ethics seemingly communicated - but never as integrally unsubtle as in anything by, say, Peckinpah (whose stuff I love as well, btw.).

From his later/recent oeuvre I've only paid due notice at Killer Joe, which is again nothing but intriguing but also frustrating in its obvious setout to mock generation X/simulation and the consistent amistice of futile amorality and delights of immediacy as perceived through lenses of a "wiser" reason. Friedkin openly scorned the postmodernist traction of film as storytelling, and the majority of academic creed allowed it due to The Exorcist essentially being the least ambiguously presented dramasubstance in nothing less than the history of cinema. Friedkin never took to generational excuses for sloppiness in narrative vision, and reportedly despised the ideas of "fair contrarian" (namely Tarantino and the lot). At least the ordeal of watchin Killer Joe with my 13-year old son brings about the feeling of faint continuum in family matters. And none of us crave for KFC anytime soon.
    '
    However, the one returning Friedkin title more rock'n'rollers certainly should dare to experience is Rampage from '87. It's a quite downdusted semi-fictional impression on assumed "deeper" implications in consequence of the murders carried out by Richard Chase, the most tremendously bizarre serial killer since ol' Jack in Spitalfields. The movie purports to capitalize on then current real-crime merits of film in new medias (syndicate TV/broadcasting, video club internals and more), especially The Deliberate Stranger (on Bundy) and To Catch a Killer (on Gacy), but the end result is still among the more rivetingly grotesque chronicles of vicious slayer madness sent by a prominent filmmaker. The scene with the antagonist's smirk as he carries some milt and intestine/kidney along in a wino-paperbag conjures up parables.

Friedkin had better be missed, although I suspect his superlative work will soon be declared taboo for some reason or another. Rest in peace, past history. Future reckons something other from it, as we shouldn't have to recall latter/former realities. Better just decide about truth.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Never saw The Exorcist
    Do you not like horror films? I know not everyone does, but if you do, you don't want to pass it up. As you probably know, it's more than a horror film.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you not like horror films? I know not everyone does, but if you do, you don't want to pass it up. As you probably know, it's more than a horror film.
    No I’m not really a horror film guy. Most of them I’m not able to sit through — I guess I have a weak stomach.

I do like Tubular Bells though.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I guess The Exorcist is not the film for you, then! It CAN be a bit stomach churning. The French Connection is excellent.

The French Connection is one of those films that, if it turns up on TV, I end up watching it.

Apart from that, the only other films I'm familiar with are Sorceror and To Live And Die In LA. Tangerine Dream's soundtrack is a great match for the film, primaeval, dark and brooding.

Not being a horror fan, I've no great desire to see The Exorcist, even if it is more than just a horror film.

I guess The Exorcist is not the film for you, then! It CAN be a bit stomach churning. The French Connection is excellent.
    I saw The Exorcist in second-run a year or so after it first came out. Read the book before seeing it. The movie, much more so than the book, scared the pants off me. I'd wake in the middle of the night, having to use the bathroom. I'd lie there and say, "Forget that, I'll wait til morning."

When I was in college, second year I think, the philosophy teacher had invited that ghost-hunting husband-and-wife team the Warrens to talk to the class, shortly after The Exorcist came out. They claimed to have an entire exorcism in which they participated on audio tape. They said they would not play some of it for the class, as they were afraid to "open a door." Naturally, I had to see the movie after hearing that.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The Exorcist is one of the very few books I have read.

The French Connection is excellent.
    Yeah I do need to check that one out. It's one of those movies that I've heard mentioned so many times over the years, and yet somehow I've still never actually seen it.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

The first date I took my wife on back in February of 1973 was a double feature, The French Connection and Mash.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    The Exorcist is one of the very few books I have read.
    And when you say very few - are we talking under 100? Or something more like 10?

Ravens Annual Team Yearbooks don't count ;-)
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    And when you say very few - are we talking under 100? Or something more like 10?

Ravens Annual Team Yearbooks don't count ;-)
    Probably under five.

Every now and then I think of To Live and Die in LA but it's been years. I've never seen it pop up on cable since the 80s and I've never seen it on the streams.

RIP to a master of his craft
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Every now and then I think of To Live and Die in LA but it's been years. I've never seen it pop up on cable since the 80s and I've never seen it on the streams.

RIP to a master of his craft
    Yes, only seen it on TV once, many years ago. By comparison, The French Connection is probably showing on a TV somewhere right now.