Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic 50th Anniversary Edition

King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic 50th Anniversary Edition

Due for release on October 13th:

Larks' Tongues In Aspic (The Complete Recording Sessions · Dolby Atmos ·2023 Mixes)
    2 Blu-Ray / 2 CD set

50th anniversary edition of King Crimson’s classic 1973 album.
    Blu-Ray I features all-new 2023 mixes in Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound and Hi-Res Stereo by Steven Wilson and the new Elemental Mixes by David Singleton. Blu-Ray II contains the complete recordings of every session recorded for the album. All of this material has been newly mixed from the original performances and is presented on disc for the first time in Hi-Res 24/96 stereo. Additionally, Blu-Ray II includes Hi-Res stereo mixes of the original stereo masters & David Singleton’s audio documentary of the album recording “Keep That One, Nick” previously included on the 2012 boxed set. These are the sole inclusions to have been issued previously.

CD1 includes the 2023 stereo mix and instrumentals of the album. CD2 includes the elemental mixes and selected master reels.

Presented as a 2 x gatefold sleeve edition containing the individual discs plus booklet with new sleeve-notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith packaged in a rigid slipcase

Larks' Tongues In Aspic (2023 Steven Wilson Mixes & 2023 David Singleton Elemental Mixes)
    2 LP set pressed on 200-gram audiophile vinyl

50th anniversary edition of King Crimson’s classic 1973 album. LP1 features all new 2023 stereo mixes by Steven Wilson. LP2 features all new 2023 elemental mixes by David Singleton. Cut by Jason Mitchell at Loud Mastering.

https://dgmlive.com/news/larks-toung...MYadt0j5tK0Wiw

I suppose this means that only select KC albums are getting 50th anniversary remixes? They seem to have skipped over In the Wake of Poseidon through Islands.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    In case you thought you were done buying new versions of things that you already have in multiple formats and editions.

I barely get a chance to listen to any of my current bunch of 5.1s, so I've never even looked into this Atmos stuff at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I barely get a chance to listen to any of my current bunch of 5.1s, so I've never even looked into this Atmos stuff at all.
    Wise. I've never been quite sure exactly what it was, and this guy has me convinced it is pretty much a scam as far as home listening is concerned.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Wow!! This new Deluxe Edition of LTIA is So Tempting (just like the upcoming Super Deluxe Edition of The Yes Album).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    I suppose this means that only select KC albums are getting 50th anniversary remixes? They seem to have skipped over In the Wake of Poseidon through Islands.
    I read a statement from DGM's Alex Mundy that "we will, at some point, be issuing Dolby Atmos mixes/album sessions as individual CD/Blu-Ray sets" of King Crimson's catalog. So I assume that this upcoming release of LTIA is to take advantage of it's 50th Anniversary this year (and that KC's other albums will get the same treatment). We'll See.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    They did release the sessions for those albums as downloads if you can’t wait for the potential blu ray to hear 15 takes of groon in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    They did release the sessions for those albums as downloads if you can’t wait for the potential blu ray to hear 15 takes of groon in a row.
    Even I might pass on that

Are there any studiorecordings (sessions, rehearsals, etc) we haven't heard before?
    I am not sure I get the fulle meaning or distinction between the 2. "CD1 includes the 2023 stereo mix and instrumentals of the album. CD2 includes the elemental mixes and selected master reels"

Great for those people want to have these things- but I'm increasingly happy to just make do with the original albums in whatever format I've got them. Don't have Surround sound or blue ray anyhow!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by groon View Post
    lol!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Are there any studio recordings (sessions, rehearsals, etc) we haven't heard before?
    [/I]"
    Yes the Blu-Ray includes every single session for the album in full for the first time. For me it's the selling point as I can't help but love this kind of thing despite myself !

Zero interest for this release but Larks' Tongues In Aspic might just be my the favourite King Crimson album.

My review: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-ki...in-aspic-1973/
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I have the 73 special surround edition....it has a small hole in the middle and once you put t on the recordplayer it surrounds the special metal pin that came with the turntable...it's very nice watching it at 33pm but it's also a treat to listen to the record at 45 pm which makes Fripp playing even faster then he has does normally...it has also another special feature : when you finished listening to the upperside you can actually flip the record around and there is even more music on the downside...
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Zero interest for this release but Larks' Tongues In Aspic might just be my the favourite King Crimson album.

My review: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-ki...in-aspic-1973/
    Larks' Tongues is definitely my favorite KC album and I'm quite happy with my original copy. No recycles for me...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by groon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    lol!
    LOL x 2

Dolby Atmos
    Revealing depth, clarity, and details like never before, Dolby Atmos is a sound experience you can feel all around you.

Huh? What kind of marketing b.s. is this and who eats this stuff up? What is the point of Atmos, really?

Go see the band live. Go see live bands in small venues. Go out in public and see any band. Go sit next to a street musician, FFS.

OH, no, Tim. Don't be such a simpleton. We must spend a ton of money on the new niche format and hardware to truly experience how it feels to hear a band, albeit with a ton of studio processing to make it sound perfect and more real than it was originally performed, as if you're sitting in the same space as the performers performing.

First, the "meta-verse" and now this sh-t?

Pfft. Man, what the f happened to humanity?

Weird.

<had to vent, rant completed, save the flames, carry on friends>
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I have the 73 special surround edition....it has a small hole in the middle and once you put t on the recordplayer it surrounds the special metal pin that came with the turntable...it's very nice watching it at 33pm but it's also a treat to listen to the record at 45 pm which makes Fripp playing even faster then he has does normally...it has also another special feature : when you finished listening to the upperside you can actually flip the record around and there is even more music on the downside...
    Don't forget the special karaoke feature where the lyrics to the songs are displayed on the special paper disc holder, so you can sing along with the Crims.

What is an 'elemental mix' anyways? Is this the new term for Atmos?

I don't mind the idea of 5.1 mixes, but in truth, the only one I have, the Genesis box set of Trespass through the Lamb, I believe, I've listened to a grand total of one time.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    What is an 'elemental mix' anyways? Is this the new term for Atmos?
    It's some kind of rough mix with extreme separation. Per DGM:

While Steven was working on this aspect of the material Alex R. Mundy and David Singleton at DGM were mixing every single take of the original studio sessions. These unreleased early takes are presented not as traditionally blended pieces, but with maximum separation, mimicking the experience of sitting in the studio with the individual elements being performed around you. The “Elemental mixes” apply this same approach to the main album takes. An excitingly fresh view on the familiar, with the focus often falling in unusual places, some originally hidden, some unused. Four of the album’s core tracks feature: extended mixes of Larks’ 1 and Talking Drum along with Easy Money & Larks’ 2.

I just listen to everything in DTS 5.1. Sounds great. I would also like everything to be on DVD, because I can listen on multiple systems, but only one system for Blu-ray.

KC are becoming the biggest milking machine with all these bigger and better versions

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Don't forget the special karaoke feature where the lyrics to the songs are displayed on the special paper disc holder, so you can sing along with the Crims.
    Thank you ...how the hell could I forget this highly important feature !
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    KC are becoming the biggest milking machine with all these bigger and better versions
    Ain't it the truth.

Larks is probably tied with Lizard as my favorite KC album, but I've already bought it three times (in three different formats) so I may have reached my saturation point. But for those folks who want this, and for the ones yet to discover this amazing record, I'm glad for them.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I love Atmos mixes and listen to surround music at least 3 times a week. So, I’m the guy they’re selling to!
    Atmos mixes are great cos it seems they never compress em like other formats. They’re open and discrete and I love being inside the music.
    Bring it on!