Thread: Fusion Syndicate

Fusion Syndicate

Something posted by our good buddy Fernando Perdomo on facebook, this sounds pretty damn good

"Huge new Release. Rick Wakeman of Yes, Chester Thompson of Genesis and Weather Report, and Jah Wobble of PIL joined forces for this track called "IO".
    I cowrote the song with Rick (perdomo/wakeman credit!) and produced the track (im on non lead keys and moog bass)"
    Listen here"

Very good song. Hopefully, it will be part of a bigger release, preferably with a different cover

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Very good song. Hopefully, it will be part of a bigger release, preferably with a different cover
    shit....that cover IS prog

why would you want something else?

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    shit....that cover IS prog

why would you want something else?

best
    Michael
    Proto-Manowar!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I'm loving the sudden burst in Chester Thompson activity lately. And Wakeman is in fine form as well.

It's from the album A Speedway On Saturn's Rings: https://www.discogs.com/master/32054...-Saturns-Rings and https://thefusionsyndicate.bandcamp....-saturns-rings
    Release-date September 1st.

Just re-read my review of the first The Fusion Syndicate-CD from 2012: my impression was that it was a good album, but too much a Billy Sherwood over-production. Fine work of the jazz-rockers David Sancious and Percy Jones.
    The musicians on this new one are less interesting for me:

A Speedway On Saturn's Rings
    Bass Guitar – Jah Wobble
    Drums – Chester Thompson
    Guitar – Al Di Meola

Planet 15
    Guitar – Chris Poland

IO
    Keyboards – Rick Wakeman

Escape From The Black Hole
    Saxophone – Angelo Moore

The Bottle
    Bass Guitar – Bootsy Collins
    Drums – Carmine Appice
    Flute – Brian Jackson
    Guitar – Fernando Perdomo

Blasting Off
    Guitar – Jan Akkerman

Lunar Rover On Mars
    Saxophone – Didier Malherbe

Coming Back Home
    Bass Guitar – Alphonso Johnson
    Guitar – Steve Stevens

Sorry, but this doesn't do it for me at all. Wakeman plays well, but he uses the same synth patch, and the same basic arpeggios, though the whole track, which is just a repeated chord. Composition? I hear no compositional structure at all. It's just a giant Wakemean keyboard solo. It might have made a nice interlude in a longer song, but on it's own, this gets boring fast. Also, besides being in a plodding 4/4 that pretty much wastes Chester Thompson's skills, the drums are mixed in a way that they don't even sound vaguely integrated into the whole.

Color me seriously unimpressed.

Bill

Mmm, noodles!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Sorry, but this doesn't do it for me at all. Wakeman plays well, but he uses the same synth patch, and the same basic arpeggios, though the whole track, which is just a repeated chord. Composition? I hear no compositional structure at all. It's just a giant Wakemean keyboard solo. It might have made a nice interlude in a longer song, but on it's own, this gets boring fast. Also, besides being in a plodding 4/4 that pretty much wastes Chester Thompson's skills, the drums are mixed in a way that they don't even sound vaguely integrated into the whole.

Bill
    Agreed. This is not a composition. And Rick is not a fusion player. To think Chester used to play with Weather Report …

Bill
    It must be refreshing knowing you can post an opposing opinion and not have six people jump down your throat calling you disgusting names and you have no recourse. My opinion would have been on similar lines as yours, but if I would have posted an honest opinion I would have to go into a witness protection program. Now there is a very good Fusion Syndicate cd that is actually fusion. I will post a link to a song on Youtube below.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    The music fits the cover art perfectly...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It must be refreshing knowing you can post an opposing opinion and not have six people jump down your throat calling you disgusting names and you have no recourse. My opinion would have been on similar lines as yours, but if I would have posted an honest opinion I would have to go into a witness protection program.
    I'm not sure how to respond to this, but I'll give it my best shot. Overwhelmingly, I only see you post in sports threads, and in general, I think that garners a different type of dialog than music threads. I'd also say that the way one expresses their opinion impacts the type and quality of the responses. I have no issue with people expressing a different opinion than mine, because I expressed what I said as my opinion/assessment. All others are welcome to comment, and if they disagree with me, I hope they enumerate why so perhaps I consider something I may have missed. In that sense, I feel minty fresh about expressing my opinion, and if you don't, I'd consider how you're putting out your thoughts and opinions for consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Now there is a very good Fusion Syndicate cd that is actually fusion. I will post a link to a song on Youtube below.

This is way better than the track in the OP, but it's still a bit fuzzy to me. It's neither full on Fusion, where solos take the fore, or Proogy Fusion, where the compositions are more developed. It's OK, but nothing to get too excited about... imo.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Agreed. This is not a composition. And Rick is not a fusion player. To think Chester used to play with Weather Report …
    What can I say? I like it. I don't think it's fair to say it's not a composition because the tempo's steady and there isn't a broad verse/chorus structure. This reminds me of a lot of Rick's own material.

Chester also played with Genesis and Santana (along with the other Chester Thompson on keyboards). He's quite versatile, but we already know that.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    What can I say? I like it. I don't think it's fair to say it's not a composition because the tempo's steady and there isn't a broad verse/chorus structure. This reminds me of a lot of Rick's own material.

Chester also played with Genesis and Santana (along with the other Chester Thompson on keyboards). He's quite versatile, but we already know that.
    I like it too. Not the most amazing thing ever put to tape, but I do think it’s unfair to say it’s not a composition.

To my ears it sounded like spacey psych stuff, not unlike some Pink Floyd-influenced stuff I’ve listened to. Not a bad track IMO. Not particularly fusiony or proggy — more of a jam, but I enjoyed it.

I’m flat out not a big fan of Wakeman as a musician (though as a person I like him), but here I mostly liked what he did. Maybe I should check out some of his recent stuff like Red Planet.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Maybe I should check out some of his recent stuff like Red Planet.
    Arguably the best thing he's done in the last 25 years, followed by the two Retro discs.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Maybe I should check out some of his recent stuff like Red Planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Arguably the best thing he's done in the last 25 years, followed by the two Retro discs.
    I agree about Red Planet. By and large, I really hate most of Wakeman's solo stuff. Six Wives and White Rock were the only two I enjoyed, but I do quite enjoy Red Planet. It's not rhythmically all that interesting, but I like the playing, the variety of moods and textures, and, dare I say, the compositions.

I haven't heard the two Retro discs. I'll check those out.

Bill

I agree about Red Planet. By and large, I really hate most of Wakeman's solo stuff. Six Wives and White Rock were the only two I enjoyed, but I do quite enjoy Red Planet. It's not rhythmically all that interesting, but I like the playing, the variety of moods and textures, and, dare I say, the compositions.

I haven't heard the two Retro discs. I'll check those out.
    Criminal Record is in his top three, for sure.

Retro and Retro 2 consist of instrumentals and songs, but the latter has more of the former.