Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Gong album, Upending Ascending

Absolutely psyched to see them this week in Asheville. And the David Cross Band, too!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I've never seen any incarnation of Gong. I might hit the Homer, NY show. It's only a 35 minute drive.
    They are obviously different now, but they are very much still a very good band
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They are obviously different now, but they are very much still a very good band
    Sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    Their drummer Cheb Nettles is a beast. He will impress.
    Great show last night in Allentown! You weren't kidding about Cheb - he was amazing. How he sustains such a high energy level while singing backup vocals is beyond me.

Agree Cheb was a beast. Whole band nailed it last night in a beautiful Chapel.

Welp.

All major roads from Charlotte to Asheville are closed. Most of Asheville, including the hotel I had booked, is without power. I cannot make the Gong and David Cross show tonight.

That was almost assuredly my only shot at seeing Cross, and I’m guessing my chances of seeing Gong stateside aren’t too good, either.

This is just a reminder: Go see live music whenever you can. The shows you have to miss will sting a little less.

Definitely looking forward to BEAT on Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Welp.

All major roads from Charlotte to Asheville are closed. Most of Asheville, including the hotel I had booked, is without power. I cannot make the Gong and David Cross show tonight.

That was almost assuredly my only shot at seeing Cross, and I’m guessing my chances of seeing Gong stateside aren’t too good, either.

This is just a reminder: Go see live music whenever you can. The shows you have to miss will sting a little less.

Ain't it sad when the real world intrudes upon the prog world.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Welp.

John Mictchel, who is playing with David Cross, posted on his Facebook page this morning that they were worried about the impact of the storm on their show tonight. Hope everyone down there is ok.

Saw them last night in Raleigh, with a spare crowd of 60? Rock and space from a band transforming. Go see them, since Kavus probably won't be visiting again soon. (But how about a Kavus/Bob Drake duo for Progday? Could we afford that, Michael?) Psychedelic light show and glissando guitars made for a lovely evening with the other groovy people in
    the city - read: older demographic. As we left I checked out the basement where a nearly-as-large group were clustered in front of a local band -read: younger demographic.
    That band was not as interesting to me...
    No bad weather had reached this far east last night, but I could see that drive to Asheville as hellish.Safe travels to all.
    David

Points well taken. I hope all are well.

Hi We made it safely to Chicago on Saturday after an epic but uneventful 12 hour drive. Asheville was unreachable so we found a hotel near Statesville Friday night, and there was no way to Franklin for the Saturday gig.

See you in Grand Rapids tonight, Chicago tomorrow and Milwaukee on Wed.
    c
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Milwaukee show was amazing. got the impression most of the crowd had no clue who was in the band but it's safe to say they won everyone over in the end. lotta people seemed to be almost in disbelief at how good they were. especially the drummer who was a total psycho for most of the show. got to chat with Kavus afterwards and he was so nice and genuine. you really get the sense they love what they're doing. anyway, I recommend going to everyone here, even if you're not that into Gong, since this new lineup definitely is not the Gong of the Radio Gnome era. in fact what I was talking with Kavus he mentioned how much he loved the track "Vilna" by Weidorje and to me, THAT is the vibe this band was going for. it ruled.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

They've done an expanded version of the album available on bandcamp, that has banging versions of the new album live from a gig in Edinburgh 2024 as bonus tracks

https://gongband.bandcamp.com/album/...pecial-edition