Thread: Yumi (Arai) Matsutōya

Yumi (Arai) Matsutōya

Yumi Arai is a Japanese singer/songwriter, part of a group of female singer/songwriters emerging in the early 70s the most famous Akiko Yano, Taeko Onuki, Marya Takeuchi...just to name a few...
    Her music is often filed City-Pop a mix of Pop, Jazz, Soul and the some...
    "Matsutoya (松任谷 由実, Matsutōya Yumi, born January 19, 1954), nicknamed Yuming (ユーミン, Yūmin), is a Japanese singer, composer, lyricist and pianist. Generally the writer of both the lyrics and the music in her songs,[she is renowned for her idiosyncratic voice and live performances, and is one of the most prominent figures in the history of Japanese popular music."
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they dont understand!"

I found in a Paris bookshop specialized in Japanese books, CDs , films etc a couple of Yumi Matsutoya records, which are quite difficult to find normally...and I found a great concert recording of Yumi Matsutoya together with Procol Harum in 2012 inTokyo...there is a Yumi solo spot a Procol Harum solo spot and a joint part...prcise dtails in the Youtube liner notes

Love this tune she wrote for the folk-rock duo Bang Bang, "Ichigo hakusho o moichido" (The Strawberry Statement Again), a song about student protests:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Love this tune she wrote for the folk-rock duo Bang Bang, "Ichigo hakusho o moichido" (The Strawberry Statement Again), a song about student protests:

Great song, she's a very gifted songwriter...like Akiko Yano she worked a lot with US musicians ....some of her records have a Steely Dan vibe

Most of her records were released on a Victor sublabel which must be connected to Universal...so I have most ofher discography on streaming. One of my favorite songs of her early 90s records...she worked a lot with LA studio musicians...