Thread: Hopefully not a big oof. Epic games sells Bandcamp to Songtradr

Hopefully not a big oof. Epic games sells Bandcamp to Songtradr

Pitchfork epic games sells bandcamp amid layoffs
    Epic Games is selling Bandcamp for an undisclosed sum, 18 months after acquiring the platform. Bandcamp’s new owner is the music marketing company Songtradr, which, according to its blog on the acquisition, will “continue to operate Bandcamp as a marketplace and music community with an artist-first revenue share.”

Songtradr, which describes itself as a music licensing platform and marketplace company, framed the acquisition as an opportunity for Bandcamp artists to secure licensing deals, including with Epic Games itself, which will continue to collaborate with Bandcamp on projects like Fortnite Radio. Asked whether artist revenue shares, user experience, or the editorial platform Bandcamp Daily will be affected by the acquisition, Songtradr declined to comment. A representative for Epic Games also declined comment on the sale, pointing to the company’s public announcement.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

It's scary to watch how easy it is for these corporations to buy and then discover they have overpaid and so require a swaith of cost cutting measures or indeed a fire sale and out.
    I swear these modern . Com type business folks couldn't run a successful outdoor market stall. It's all just "Hype, Mine, Shite and clicks " to them.

For Content Providers it's all been seen before and those that have their whole business model facilitated really need to take insurative steps to protect their stock fearing the Bandcamp becomes a Zombie Site full of dead links.
    Last edited by clivey; 10-02-2023 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    So we may possibly see a "Pay to play and be played" and join the higher echolon model emerge. The difference being that they already have the audio uploaded and ready to go. It will also be very easy for them to change/ update the terms and conditions to something that basically allows them to distribute the works already uploaded to the usual suspects.
    We shall see.
    I have nothing personally against my stuff being distributed on the 2 or 3 major streaming platforms and radio stations ( god we crave plays don't we) or that they are monitizing my issue, but I seriously won't be "paying to play or be played". If I felt the need for investment it would definitely be down the vinyl route albeit probably Lathe cut, This also raises the whole issue re the plans they may have regards the cut taken etc and the whole Merch Scene on BC.

Really. perhaps it's all a ploy to scare "hobbiest boomers off" tee hee.
    They conclude by saying " investing in Songtradr to support Bandcamps successful integration into Songtradr".
    Well considering the volume of work on Bandcamp. They might have got that round the wrong way or perhaps it's the truth and they will absorb the BC Artists that fork out and leave the rest to zombiefy. Aaaagh.
    Last edited by clivey; 10-02-2023 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clivey View Post
    So we may possibly see a "Pay to play and be played" and join the higher echolon model emerge. The difference being that they already have the audio uploaded and ready to go. It will also be very easy for them to change/ update the terms and conditions to something that basically allows them to distribute the works already uploaded to the usual suspects.
    We shall see.
    I have nothing personally against my stuff being distributed on the 2 or 3 major streaming platforms and radio stations ( god we crave plays don't we) or that they are monitizing my issue, but I seriously won't be "paying to play or be played". If I felt the need for investment it would definitely be down the vinyl route albeit probably Lathe cut, This also raises the whole issue re the plans they may have regards the cut taken etc and the whole Merch Scene on BC.

Really. perhaps it's all a ploy to scare "hobbiest boomers off" tee hee.
    They conclude by saying " investing in Songtradr to support Bandcamps successful integration into Songtradr".
    Well considering the volume of work on Bandcamp. They might have got that round the wrong way or perhaps it's the truth and they will absorb the BC Artists that fork out and leave the rest to zombiefy. Aaaagh.
    Well, I'm not going to pay to be played. I'm not even paying to go the vinyl route. If I have money to spend on my music, I rather spend it on software. Alas the online Steinberg store, which is a third party, which has entered into self-administered insolvency, so I can't buy the update to Cubase Pro 12, which I used a trial version of for the last 2 months. At the day I wanted to buy it, I read it was not possible.

It appears that the other shoe has dropped.
    An number of Bandcamp employees have been let go this weekend.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    It appears that the other shoe has dropped.
    An number of Bandcamp employees have been let go this weekend.
    The Captain Obvious in me suggests that the cost cutting would be rapid and extensive. Sympathy for those losing their income, but it happens every day and there are always alternatives for those who adapt.

Re the rest of "the cunning plan" It remains to be seen whether or not they wait for the subsequent balance sheet results before implementing the rest of the manouvre .

If they come rattling at my cage for dough . Well . It really depends on what the deal looks like.

Subtle but possibly key detail is that the layoff was executed by Epic, not Songtrdr, prior to the sale:

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/busine...songtradr-sale

Frankly the world is horrible enough that I don't care to zero in on what may come of this in terms of impact on me (either as an artist or fan). Speaking from direct experience, layoffs are horrible for employees (both those let go and those who "survive"), but sometimes it isn't a direct linear path to total destruction of a company. Until such time as things begin to directly impact me as an artist or fan, I'm simply continuing as usual.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Subtle but possibly key detail is that the layoff was executed by Epic, not Songtrdr, prior to the sale:

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/busine...songtradr-sale

Frankly, the world is horrible enough that I don't care to zero in on what may come of this in terms of impact on me (either as an artist or fan). Speaking from direct experience, layoffs are horrible for employees (both those let go and those who "survive"), but sometimes it isn't a direct linear path to total destruction of a company. Until such time as things begin to directly impact me as an artist or fan, I'm simply continuing as usual.
    A well-spoken and sensible approach that I concur with.