Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CAIRO (Jeff Brockman)

Quote Originally Posted by rockcup View Post
    Mark Robertson became a pilot
    Probably better pay and benefits than being a prog musician!

But I have to admit I have a soft spot for their first two albums, and still play them from time to time. I remember hanging out at ProgFest 94 and someone passing out a MC sampler with "Ruins at Avalon's Gate" on it, and everyone was pretty wowed by it. Remember, this was before the prog revival had really kicked into high gear, and to hear a young band playing stuff like that was pretty exciting. I know Keith Emerson took notice, probably because of all the people going "Hey, Keith, there's a new band out with a keyboard player who sounds just like you!" Also, Jeff Brockman was good, but to put him in the same league as "Minneman, Portnoy , Peart, Harrison, Palmer" is a stretch. But there's clearly still enough interest in that old music for Brockman to keep surfacing it. Good for him.

Re: other Magna Carta bands, as I recall the one that got most press back then was Magellan, who I thought were OK but suffered from -- and this was all too common back then -- a low-fi, home studio production with regrettable use of electronic drums. Plus Trent Gardner's vocals were "an acquired taste" IMO. That label then became "The House of Tribute Albums!" Meh.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    But I have to admit I have a soft spot for their first two albums, and still play them from time to time. I remember hanging out at ProgFest 94 and someone passing out a MC sampler with "Ruins at Avalon's Gate" on it, and everyone was pretty wowed by it. Remember, this was before the prog revival had really kicked into high gear, and to hear a young band playing stuff like that was pretty exciting. I know Keith Emerson took notice, probably because of all the people going "Hey, Keith, there's a new band out with a keyboard player who sounds just like you!"
    More than a slight resemblance to Keith, too.

Top cut from their third/last album, Time of Legends.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Never change, Mike!
    The only thing I change is the litter box. Have to keep the prog cats happy.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Yeah, I like their first few albums.

Magna Carta also issued Time Crunch and Organik by Niacin!
    Thanks for the reminder.
    How could I forget NIACIN, the Hammond organ leaded John Novello's power fusion trio ? (especially since I have the 3 MC CD's in my collection !)
    They were really excellent, and even did an organ (guitar-less) version of Red you might like (or not). But it is as powerful as the original:

Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 10-13-2023 at 11:56 PM.

I was a big fan of their music back in the 1990s. Loved their first two albums; the third one was a bit hit-and-miss with me. It would be cool if Jeff Brockman could put together another project that makes similar music. It's nice to see that he's still promoting their music.