Thread: Devo Interview

Devo Interview

Echoes Podcast II: DEVO. Hear the complete 1987 interview with this influential a subversive band. There's a lot of tech-talk from Fairlights to Optigans and then the effect of tech on creativity, DEVO also think Laurie Anderson stole some of their visual ideas. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-oU0

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    Echoes Podcast II: DEVO. Hear the complete 1987 interview with this influential a subversive band. There's a lot of tech-talk from Fairlights to Optigans and then the effect of tech on creativity, DEVO also think Laurie Anderson stole some of their visual ideas. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-oU0
    Listening now.
    I saw them in 78 at the Knebworth festival which was headlined by Genesis.
    They were not received well ( bottles thrown etc) ,though the group of youngers I was with liked their quirky set. I bought the album which I believe was in coloured vinyl or perhaps picture. My memory is poor.
    I can remember writing "Are we not men" and "We are Devo"on the front and back of my "time book" at my work as an apprentice Plumber and Heating Engineer. This act got me carpeted by my boss who took me to his office to ask what the hell I had written. I am not sure whether he thought I was questioning his masculinity or perhaps making some kind of Socioeconomic protest . Ha ha ha .

For sure they were a contentious act back then and sonically different from absolutely everything else doing the rounds.
    Whip it and Be Stiff had lots of post punk/new wave cats going crazy in any discotheque brave enough to play them.

Thank you for the notice. I'll get to this soon. A most favorite band of mine.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Thanks, I've recently been interested in Devo again.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I was a huge Devo-tee as a teenager. I still listen to Are We Not Men, Freedom of Choice and New Traditionalist every now and then. I've had all the albums at one time but really jumped off the bandwagon for Total Devo, after having been disappointed with Shout!. I honestly think I was the only kid I knew that like them. I knew some guys that hated them. I remember they were on a short-lived sketch comedy show on late-night Fridays called (what else) Fridays! quite often. I've seen several interviews on YT, some old, some newer.

Here's a link to a recent interview that Mark Mothersbaugh did with Flood magazine. It's a good career retrospective and there's several mentions of prog-related artists and music.

I'm seeing Devo on 29 Nov here in Brisbane. It's only the third time I've caught them live and I'm really looking forward to it.

https://floodmagazine.com/148265/mar...CQUA2IbpP4kE7s
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Here's a link to a recent interview that Mark Mothersbaugh did with Flood magazine. It's a good career retrospective and there's several mentions of prog-related artists and music.

I'm seeing Devo on 29 Nov here in Brisbane. It's only the third time I've caught them live and I'm really looking forward to it.

https://floodmagazine.com/148265/mar...CQUA2IbpP4kE7s
    I've seen videos from about 20 years ago when they looked bloated and laboring through the paces. But then there's videos from 10 years ago and they were very energetic and vital, sounding great.