Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire Stick vs Roku

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    On a completely different but loosely-related topic:

What streaming systems / apps / whatever does everyone use?
    TV Mob Firestick
    Sportsfire
    Live Net TV
    USA TV and Radio

All run thru Firestick, so I need to keep cable internet to create the wi-fi zone.

Is it worth keeping your cable package?

I dumped Comcast and don't miss it at all.
    How do you connect your system to the content provider(s,) without cable internet to hook into your router?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I pay $425 a month for Bell TV, home and cell phone, and internet. Crazy.
    Wow. I thought I was getting raped when I was paying $180 plus for cable TV and internet.

So, to expand the question further, if you're comfortable with getting into finances, how much do you guys pay per month for your TV viewing & internet packages?

$90 for FIOS gigabit + $110ish for YT TV, Disney, Hulu, ESPN, Prime (not counting the cost for this since it’s really more about the free shipping, etc.), Netflix, Spotify, Peacock + $0 for Paramount, Max + free apps like Pluto TV, FreeVee, and Tubi.

Spent $70 for 3 Fire Sticks (all bought during sales events). And this is one of the key cord cutting savings. Paying “rent” for cable boxes is one of the greatest scams ever.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Paying “rent” for cable boxes is one of the greatest scams ever.
    Not mention the yearly call to DirecTV "customer retention" department to threaten to cancel just to keep the cost affordable. Now if I don't want a specific service, I just cancel. No fees, penalties, sitting on hold while "I speak with my supervisor".

?? The Chromecast has a voice capability. I don't use it, though, so I can't speak to its effectiveness.
    Right. I was saying that Roku lacks those two features. I did try the voice command on the Chromecast remote and it worked just fine.

Either way - I hope that some form of de-facto standardization will eventually emerge for the features in streaming apps, for the way the devices work, and for the features available on the remotes. Unlikely to happen, but hey - we can hope...
    You're a lot more optimistic than I am.

Thanks Duncan.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

We currently have Xfinity cable, and we have most of the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.). I think we pay somewhere around $325/month for everything, which includes Phone/TV/Internet/Security System/Cable Boxes. But I really want to cut the cord. Get rid of cable and just stream YouTube TV, or something. From what I can tell, YTTV offers most of what we need, but I still need to do some research. I still need the high-speed Internet, as I work from home 100%, so I'm hoping Xfinity allows that without some ridiculous package.

We also subscribe to Disney+, AppleTV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. So, we need to find a way to cut some costs.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    How do you connect your system to the content provider(s,) without cable internet to hook into your router?
    Looking at this again, I'm guessing you didn't dump Comcast altogether, just the cable TV, but kept the internet.

What's everyone else's approach to streaming apps?
    As I've mentioned numerous times elsewhere, I have a bunch because I share subscriptions with relatives. And by that I mean, for some apps we share the cost; for others, they or I subscribe and we share sign-ons. Via this approach, I have/had access to...

AppleTV - I only subscribed to this because of Foundation. After two or three episodes, I dropped it. I did see two seasons of The Morning Show, which is really good. However, AppleTV's app is... well, let me describe it this way: it's like a Shop Vac with a direction switch that keeps shorting out. In other words, it sucks and blows. But, then again, it is an Apple product so, par for the course, I guess.

Disney+ - I dropped the subscription after finishing a show, recently, but as soon as all the Star Wars TV shows start up again, I'll renew my subscription, because they're all at least a solid B+. Andor is an A and Ahsoka is a good A–.

ESPN - available via the Xfinity login. Rarely use it, tho.

FX Sports - available via the Xfinity login. Rarely use it, tho.

Hulu - there isn't much that interests me on Hulu, other than some animated shows like Futurama (which I never finished) and Solar Opposites or the ability to stream some show that aired on a network the previous day (Fargo, Resident Alien, et al). The one thing it does have is Letterkenny, the hilarious Canadian show. Their movies aren't anything special, tho.

Max - My niece subscribes to HBO so I can stream this, which is one of the apps I watch the most.

MGM+ (formerly Epix) - a premium channel my niece subscribes to through Xfinity. There's some good stuff on it. And now that it's MGM+ and not Epix anymore, the app's functionality is one of the best. Epix was tied for worst with TCM. Well, TCM on the Fire Stick. On Roku, TCM works great.

Netflix - like Prime, this is one I used to watch a lot but not so much anymore. We're actually thinking of dropping it. It's the app that tends to piss me off the most.

Paramount+ - I subscribe to this primarily for the National Women's Soccer League (here in the US) and the Barclays Women's Super League (in England). I've also been working my way through the last few seasons of Star Trek Voyager.

Peacock - my sister subscribes to this because there was some deal brokered between them and either the NCAA or the Big Ten Conference to show football games. WTF? Unfortunately, she has the lower priced subscription so I have to sit through commercials. I'm going to give her $6 to upgrade to the ad free version until I finish with Poker Face, which appears to be a damn good show (I've only seen one episode).

Prime - I used to watch this a lot more but rarely do, now. With a couple of rare exceptions (e.g. Good Omens), what I watch on Prime the most are music documentaries, which they have quite a few good ones.

Showtime - a premium channel my niece subscribes to. Don't watch much, at all.

TCM - it used to be on Xfinity but the motherfuckers put it on some higher priced tier so I use my brother's DirecTV login to watch it, which I do a lot, albeit in spurts.

Xfinity - my niece & her husband subscribe, so I have access through them.

And through Roku, some British TV show app. Haven't really investigated this, yet, though.
    Last edited by Hal...; 11-22-2023 at 11:37 AM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Looking at this again, I'm guessing you didn't dump Comcast altogether, just the cable TV, but kept the internet.
    That is correct.

Forgot something:

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Hulu... the ability to stream some show that aired on a network the previous day (Fargo, Resident Alien, et al).
    What is great about that is that while a cable or network station may censor bad language, Hulu does not. So if I'm watching a show that streams the next day on Hulu, I usually wait to watch it then.

5G at home is now an option for many. My local cable company advertises "problems" with 5G, trying to scare people into not using it. The cable company is not without problems of its own.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

On a completely different but loosely-related topic: What streaming systems / apps / whatever does everyone use? What's everyone else's approach to streaming apps?
    Looks like I pay $125. for AT&T's modem for the computer and wired phone. Consumer Cellular for the cell.

I have one of those flat screen antennas for live broadcast and get quite a few channels: ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, Grit, Fox, and a few others. Most of the time it works pretty good for me.

Then I subscribe to:

Hulu and Disney+ They are okay, but at times wish they offered a little better programming. I started to dump Hulu the other day, but since Fargo is starting up, I guess I'll wait.

I donate to PBS to get their service/app.

And sub to Max, which I guess it one of the better of all the streaming apps for me. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    From what I can tell, YTTV offers most of what we need, but I still need to do some research. I still need the high-speed Internet, as I work from home 100%, so I'm hoping Xfinity allows that without some ridiculous package.
    My best suggestion if you want to go internet only is to see what completion Xfinity has in the area. You’ll likely get a better rate than you are now. I have also been without a landline for 3 years, so if you have cell service and internet, you just don’t need a home phone really (or you can transfer over to Magic Jack and the like).

YTTV was my choice because of the unlimited DVR. Hulu TV would otherwise be the best choice imo unless you wanted to pair down further, then you have Sling, Fubo, and a few others.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

So, to expand the question further, if you're comfortable with getting into finances, how much do you guys pay per month for your TV viewing & internet packages?
    Internet is about $100/month.

Basic cable from Bell is $25/month but that only includes the core Canadian and US broadcast networks (i.e. complete crap). On top of that I pay $150/year for NBA League Pass, and $25/month - for May and June only - to add all the sports specialty channels to my cable package, since League Pass doesn't include playoffs.

I should have been clearer : Like others here, I dropped Xfinity's TV service, but kept their highest-speed Internet which I also need for work. Costs $115/month for (what's supposed to be) a 1.2Gb connection.

Wow. I thought I was getting raped when I was paying $180 plus for cable TV and internet.

and
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    ...From what I can tell, YTTV offers most of what we need, but I still need to do some research. I still need the high-speed Internet, as I work from home 100%, so I'm hoping Xfinity allows that without some ridiculous package.
    115 Xfinity - Internet only
    76 YTTV
    8 Acorn
    8 Britbox
    207 Total

Phone is T-Mobile ($140 for 2 lines (includes free Netflix and 2 free smart watches)

The landline has gone the way of the dinosaur.
    Regards,

Duncan

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I have or have access to Netflix, Hulu, Disney +, ESPN +, Hbomax, Paramount Plus, Prime, and Peacock. If I was forced to only choose one to keep, I'd probably go with Paramount plus, as it has every show I like to watch at night/while I fall asleep. The best of those is probably hbomax, although now that they are starting to cull their own products from the site I may reevaluate that. But overall, I find that they tend to have the best selection and highest ease of use.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

I'm not sure - it covers my cell phone bill my home phone bill - them a deluxe package to a suite of Bell TV shows (hundreds of choices plus a movie network, Crave TV (streaming), yada yaha yada. I'd guess 100 for the Bell channels and 100 for internet (but I'm not sure). Overall, it's insane.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Just a head's up, I was in Walmart yesterday and they had a Roku on sell for $30. if anyone wants/needs one.

Out of curiousity I wondered what brand TV everyone has. I have a large Vizio 42", and had pretty good results with it. I also have a 26" Sanyo as a spare for another bedroom, used mostly for gaming. I need to buy a replacement for the kitchen at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Out of curiousity I wondered what brand TV everyone has. I have a large Vizio 42", and had pretty good results with it. I also have a 26" Sanyo as a spare for another bedroom, used mostly for gaming. I need to buy a replacement for the kitchen at some point.
    LG 65" in the family room.

Samsung 51" in the bedroom.

LG 45" in the basement, for when I'm doing my indoor training on the bicycle trainer.

Samsung 35" in my office.

Panasonic 50" in the guest room.
    Regards,

Duncan

The eons are closing
    LG 65" in the family room.

Samsung 51" in the bedroom.

LG 45" in the basement, for when I'm doing my indoor training on the bicycle trainer.

Samsung 35" in my office.

Panasonic 50" in the guest room.
    LG 65" in family room (though using the LG versions on the steaming apps there + will be changing that)

36" Toshiba FireTV built in and 42" Panasonic Plasma with FireTV stick, both in basement for multi sports watching (music studio is down there too)

32" Samsung w/ FireTV stick in bedroom

32" Toshiba FireTV built in for guestroom
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

If you have a library card, you can replace or add to many of your streaming choices: audiobooks, music, DVDs, newspapers. etc.

Just a head's up, I was in Walmart yesterday and they had a Roku on sell for $30. if anyone wants/needs one.
    What!? Mine was $30 at Best Buy and was $25 at Walmart. The reason I didn't get it at Walmart is because I saw it was the Roku LE versus the Roku Express at Best Buy. The LE is a Walmart specific model and I have learned over the years never to buy those kinds of items. You're better off going to Best Buy or another store and paying full price.

If you have a library card, you can replace or add to many of your streaming choices: audiobooks, music, DVDs, newspapers. etc.
    I have both the Kanopy and Hoopla apps on my Fire Stick, which have been previously discussed, briefly, in the movie or TV show thread. Fyi, Hoopla is another service you get through your library that has movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and music.

Hoopla's offerings aren't nearly as good as Kanopy's, but they have some good things if you're willing to look for them.

Panasonic plasma 55" in the living room and various 32s elsewhere in the house. The plasma is 12 years old and refuses to lose even a fraction of its picture quality. The software is all way out of date but that doesn't matter because all the streaming services and my cable run though the FireStick. We will likely move in a couple years and that's when we'll switch to modern TVs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart