Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fire Stick vs Roku

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Panasonic plasma 55" in the living room <snip> The plasma is 12 years old and refuses to lose even a fraction of its picture quality. The software is all way out of date but that doesn't matter because all the streaming services and my cable run though the FireStick.
    My 42" is my third and obviously last Panasonic plasma - and it's picture is awesome - still the best true black reproduction of my TVs. I have sold the other two in the last two years.

If Panasonic made plasma again - I would absolutely consider buying - but that ain't happening
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    LG 65" in family room (though using the LG versions on the steaming apps there + will be changing that)
    Interesting - I never bothered with my LG 65" TV's "smarts". I take it you're not happy with it?

My thinking :

Smart TVs can only upgrade their software, not their hardware. So with modern TVs lasting 10 or 15 years, you'll soon be locked in to very outdated smart technology.

Whereas (Roku, Firestick, Google, whatever) devices are so cheap that I can replace them regularly, and always have the latest software. Plus - if I run the same devices on all my TVs, then all TVs in my house will work in exactly the same way, with a familiar user interface.

So - why pay extra $$ for a smart TV?
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

So - why pay extra $$ for a smart TV?
    Do they even sell "dumb" TVs anymore?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Do they even sell "dumb" TVs anymore?
    My first two Panasonic TVs were actually dumb plasma monitors (like the airport TVs) - no TV tuner or built in speakers - just video inputs - it was awesome in its simplicity
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    My first two Panasonic TVs were actually dumb plasma monitors (like the airport TVs) - no TV tuner or built in speakers - just video inputs - it was awesome in its simplicity
    The FCC started requiring *ALL* TVs sold must have a digital tuner. To hasten the transition from analog to digital TV standards.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I've been paring down the subscriptions the last few months and it got to a point where I figured I could add a new one. I've got the Disney/Hulu bundle, first time I've had either of those since last winter. I've found quite a few shows that I want to see but didn't get to last time around, or just new seasons of old favorites. Either way, I'll keep it until the snow is gone and then it's farewell to that package.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^ Until the snow is gone is a long time, up there in North Dakota.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Until the snow is gone is a long time, up there in North Dakota.
    Yep, early May is often the date. I laugh when I hear outdoor sex season begins May 1st. That's always wishful thinking here.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've been paring down the subscriptions the last few months and it got to a point where I figured I could add a new one. I've got the Disney/Hulu bundle, first time I've had either of those since last winter. I've found quite a few shows that I want to see but didn't get to last time around, or just new seasons of old favorites. Either way, I'll keep it until the snow is gone and then it's farewell to that package.
    I did that last year as well, and had Max as well. But I'd still got the Disney/Hulu bundle, and canceled the Max a little while back. I think with Max I just saw everything I wanted. I held onto the Hulu for Fargo. If I can't find anything else on there I may cancel it. I may pick up another, but right now I'm not sure what.

New streaming budget bundle w/ ads: Peacock, Netflix, & Apple. $15. a month