Thread: Bruce Soord anyone? And Pineapple thief recomendations.

Bruce Soord anyone? And Pineapple thief recomendations.

I am really enjoying Bruce soords more mellow acoustic solo recordings.
    Any recomendations for pineapple thief.

Pineapple Thief, for the older stuff 3000 Days is a best of, you loose a bit of perspective but it's all good.
    I like Magnolia and Your Wilderness in the newer discs.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I am a fan. Hard to pick a favorite Pineapple Thief album. Some my favorites would be "Disolution", "Little Man", "Your Wilderness", "Magnolia", "Variations On A Dream". "Tightly Unwound", "What We Have Sown". They are all good to great IMO.

I always find the music rather samey, I was listening to tracks from Bruce's new album and I tried to like it but not quite enough.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I always find the music rather samey, I was listening to tracks from Bruce's new album and I tried to like it but not quite enough.
    me too. I own a couple of TPT CDs from a while back, All The Wars and Someone Here Is Missing. They're ok. I've read somewhere that Gavin Harrison had joined the band, and I thought that a gig like that must be like witness protection for a drummer of that level. I never checked it out though.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    me too. I own a couple of TPT CDs from a while back, All The Wars and Someone Here Is Missing. They're ok. I've read somewhere that Gavin Harrison had joined the band, and I thought that a gig like that must be like witness protection for a drummer of that level. I never checked it out though.
    Harrison has been on the last few albums and has definitely brought his own element to the band IMO.

Harrison isn’t just the drummer; he’s a co-writer on the last few albums. He’s definitely elevated the musicianship of the band, something Soord has acknowledged.

I like Soord’s All This Will Be Yours. I should prolly pick up the new one.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I spent some time listening to Someone Here Is Missing and imma upgrade that one to very good. I think I may have been thinking about an earlier release I used to own called Tightly Unwound. SHiM has pop elements in it reminiscent of The Notwist, which I like.

If this dude's name was Bruce Soorb, that would make it a phonetic palindrome. :P
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

I got into TPT when "Someone Here Is Missing" was released. At the time the incorporation of electronic elements with rock was a thing and that album does that very successfully in my opinion. TPT definitely has a pop sensibility, blending that with rock, prog(ish) and singer-songwriter styles. Even though I've got all their albums (just recently completed the set with the re-release of "10 Stories Down" on CD) - because I like to support artists as much as possible - I do find that they are inconsistent. Sometimes an album will really work for me and other times it will fail to make much of an impression. Since GH joined, and especially since he started contributing to the writing, they have been generally much more consistent in my book. The style of these later albums is more in the rock vein. One of my favourite TPT pieces is the 27+ minute "What Have We Sown" from the album "What We Have Sown".
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Never knew Soord had solo efforts, but I'll have to check them out. I've listened a ton to The Pineapple Thief, they're really good.

I struggle to pick favorites for any artists, but those that come to mind are What Have We Sown, Tightly Unwound and Dissolution.

The 3000 Days compilation is a cool summary of their first 10 years. Yet placing all those songs together also reveals a certain sameness due to the fact that Soord always used the same basic songwriting devices at the time. He has definitely improved since then, especially with the addition of Gavin Harrison, as others have said.

They have always been a rather frustrating band for me with patchy albums where great songs sat next to very bland ones.

I would say that Dissolution is their best album, where they finally realized their full potential. It doesn't have a dull moment and has lots of dynamics thanks to Harrison. Start with this one!
    Your Wilderness is also quite good, a bit too often on the mellow side, but it's a grower.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Soord's music reminds me of a more melloncollie and perhaps slightly more depressed Steven Wilson.

melloncollie
    Funny that you spelled it that way as there is indeed a trace of Smashing Pumpkins in his singing, especially in the early days.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Funny that you spelled it that way as there is indeed a trace of Smashing Pumpkins in his singing, especially in the early days.
    I was hoping someone would notice. I do think that TSP was an influence but without the anger. I'd like to hear some anger in TPT.

I want to thank everyone for their recormendations for the pineapple theif.
    I got your wilderness and nothing but the truth and upon first listening
    I really like what i am hearing.

I have followed them for quite a while, but have not properly engaged with their recent releases, which sit on the shelf awaiting some love. I really enjoy Tightly Unwound and Little Man from the earlier times, and also consider that 3,000 Days is a fine representation of their formative decade

I had not found the KScope store on bandcamp.
    Picked up Dissolution, Versions Of The Truth, and Nothing But The Truth
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I was hoping someone would notice. I do think that TSP was an influence but without the anger. I'd like to hear some anger in TPT.
    The first time I heard them was when I saw them at the 2005 Marillion Weekend. After the show I told Bruce that I got a big Smashing Pumpkins vibe from their set and he took it as a big compliment.

... Talk about another great band with some prog leanings and excellent musicianship... But that's a topic for another thread.

I've just been listening to this album again online and fallen for it. Such melancholic beauty. This reminds me of Riverside's 'Found'

Last edited by Steve983; 11-04-2023 at 05:05 AM.