Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Time albums

Jethro Tull Christmas Album for me.
    I only play it in Novemeber/December.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    ECM also has many winter albums. Eberhard Weber's The Following Morning is one leading example.
    ECM has only winter time albums
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Songs from the Wood has a Christmas song on it, and the cover art looks autumn-ish.
    Mea culpa. My theory appears to be based purely on the song 'Jack-in-the-green'

I play most music all year through. The only specific winter albums are probably the ones that are Christmas-ish.

Winter albums are often sad in nature and that is not really what I like to hear in autumn or winter, when I'm often sad already.

The two Eldberg albums remind me of winter but maybe because they are from Iceland and it's usually cold there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    ECM has only winter time albums
    Jan Garbarek is the first name that came to mind, although there are many.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Paul Winter Consort also has an autumnal/winter feel.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post

Ralph Towner
    Terje Rypdal
    Eberhard Weber
    Nik Bärtsch

and the rest: https://ecmrecords.com/artists/

Paul Winter Consort also has an autumnal/winter feel.
    Well, it's in his name.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Mea culpa. My theory appears to be based purely on the song 'Jack-in-the-green'
    No mea culpa needed. My example was based on one song and yours was as well. Each opinion is equally valid.

Anything from Norway (including Rypdal) or Scandinavia, but I've never found ECM "warm-sounding" in general. (I'd include most Metheny albums as winter albums)
    Ditto for Tibbets and Jan Hammer albums on ECM.

Not to mention Zeuhlmate's list.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I can see Metheny, however, there are a few I think are more warm, spring/summer-like: American Garage, Offramp, maybe.

Yeah, a lot of those ECM, Scandinavia, Norway, Eberhard Weber albums are pretty icey, and sound kinda wintery.

Simon & Garfunkel's Bookends. I think it came out around the winter/autumn, but Hazy Shade of Winter

The first Procol Harumn lp sort of fits too with it's darker tone.
    Last edited by hippypants; 11-16-2023 at 12:58 PM.

I agree American Garage has more of a summer feeling. Maybe helped that it was one of the few ECM studio albums recorded in the U.S., and in fact I think it was in summer.

I don't know many Jan Garbarek albums but I remeber Paths, Prints has a bit more of a spring/summer feeling in the art and some of the songs. One track is called "Kite Dance" which I think points to warm weather.

I don't know many Jan Garbarek albums but I remeber Paths, Prints has a bit more of a spring/summer feeling in the art and some of the songs. One track is called "Kite Dance" which I think points to warm weather.
    Yes, I'd agree the Jan Garbarek Group did one too called Photo With Blue Sky that was more along that line too. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Are there any winter albums (any genre) that you tend to play more during the cooler weather?

I tend to go more for synth oriented lps, stuff like:

Tomita's Snowflakes Are Dancing
    Stomu Yamashta, Winwood, and Shrieve's Go
    Tangerine Dream Poland
    Richard Burmer's Mosiacs
    To your synth list I would add: RICHARD PINHAS "Iceland".
    Very coldish tittle/cover art, and the music suits the theme perfectly too.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 11-16-2023 at 07:43 PM.

And of course the thread is not complete without Wendy Carlos's Sonic Seasonings.

And of course the thread is not complete without Wendy Carlos's Sonic Seasonings.
    ... side four.

One of my favorite records ever (and not only during winter).

I don't have that Wendy Carlos album, but I've seen it discussed, I should look into it as I enjoy synth stuff. Good catch on the Pinhas lp too, tho I don't have it either. I'll look into both, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I don't have that Wendy Carlos album, but I've seen it discussed, I should look into it as I enjoy synth stuff. Good catch on the Pinhas lp too, tho I don't have it either. I'll look into both, thanks.
    Re. Sonic Seasonings it's very important to get the (1998) East Side Digital reissue (unfortunately OOP, like the whole W.C catalog). This music is so quiet it must be heard on CD, and W.C did a fantastic remix/remastering job. I knew and owned this record since it was issued on vinyl in 1972 but only heard it as it should for the first time when listened to the CD-reissue. What a difference ! And thre's also an extra (bonus) track "Aurora Borealis" which is very good.
    Really worth the effort to track down a copy on the s/h market.
    It's a classic EM/Ambiant record (and the very first one !)
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 11-17-2023 at 06:58 PM.

I don't know the original release date of The Beatles "White" album. but a used copy was given to me as a Christmas gift in 1970 or 71, thus I've always considered it a Christmas album. I looked it up. Nov 22, 1968. Closes enough for me. I remember figuring out the keyboard parts in Bungalo Bill on my little electronic keyboard..
    Last edited by davis; 11-22-2023 at 03:34 PM.

and then there are the actual The_Beatles_Christmas_records
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Jethro Tull Christmas Album for me.
    I only play it in Novemeber/December.
    I have a similar Christmas tradition. I listen to 3 Ships by Jon Anderson from 12/24 through 26. I have been doing that every year since 1986. I believe it came out in 85. Best Christmas album I have ever heard.

Oldfield's Incantations for me. Got the LP Christmas 1978 a few days after it was released and listened to it with a teenager's obsession throughout the cold and snow of January and February.
    Still stands up as a winter album for me, but obviously I can't tell how much of that is imprinted from 45 years ago!

Immortal "At The Heart Of Winter". Cold as ice.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrankie Valli View Post
    Still stands up as a winter album for me, but obviously I can't tell how much of that is imprinted from 45 years ago!
    Right I get that. Some albums bought during certain months just take you back, whether they were released then or not.