Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overused sounds in prog you love/hate

Im not sure certain bands were prog anymore- but 80s drum sounds are my biggest dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    I don't think anyone thought string synths sounded realistic. They were definitely "synthy" sounding. They started off as the poor band's answer to the mellotron, and then they became their own distinct sought after sound. Polysynths eventually rendered string synths obsolete.
    Our standards were much lower in the past. In the mid 80s I was struck by how realistic the piano patch of my Yamaha DX27 sounded. When I ran it through an Alesis Microverb. Today it sounds downright cheesy. Similarly in 1960, the Psycho shower stabbing had audiences shrieking with terror. Today it's quite quaint.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Our standards were much lower in the past. In the mid 80s I was struck by how realistic the piano patch of my Yamaha DX27 sounded. When I ran it through an Alesis Microverb. Today it sounds downright cheesy. Similarly in 1960, the Psycho shower stabbing had audiences shrieking with terror. Today it's quite quaint.
    Does that mean that we have actually developed higher standards, or have we simply become jaded? Familiarity breeds contempt.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Natural sounds are the most overused ones: surf, wind, thunder, storm , rain , birds chirping , chirruping crickets, waterfall, etc...

I know only one good use of these natural sounds in a musical production: W.CARLOS 's Sonic Seasonings.
    The opening of Close to the Edge?

And then I'm quite fond of Bernie Kraus's strange album . Every sound on that record is from some (non-human) animal or another, sampled and, sometimes, messed with.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

True. I used to like Hershey's milk chocolate bars. Now I realize how waxy they are. Today I mostly eat bittersweet chocolate: Trader Joe's, Chocolove, Valrhona.

Not that our standards were lower but the technology back then to realistically reproduce real acoustic instruments by electronic means was not yet available.
    We had to be content with coarse approximations which later became a typical recognizable sound of their own, not the one they were supposed to emulate:

A Mellotron doesn't sound like an orchestra but like a Mellotron.
    A (Solina) string ensemble doesnt't sound like a string ensemble, but like a Solina.
    A (Yamaha) CP-80 dosn't sound like a grand piano but like a CP-80
    A TR-808 doen't sound like a real drumkit but like a TR-808
    etc...

All these (flawed) sounds are instantly recognizable and some of them were overused to the point of being a (unbearable) "cliché" nowadays.

From the mid-80ies advanced sampling techniques (and drop in memory chips prices) put an end to this and (with a few exceptions) to creative synthesis. At that point started the "preset era" which is still going on today...
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 11-18-2023 at 03:51 PM.

Musical boxes, and Jack-in-the-Box, pop goes the weasel. Sounds.

On CDs, the sound of a vinyl disc playing. Whether it be pops, scratches or skipping.

I can sort of stand it if it's an actual vinyl playing.

the needle landing and lifting off the vinyl.

the noise of the trap after the tray has entered or before it left the deck.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    the needle landing and lifting off the vinyl.

the noise of the trap after the tray has entered or before it left the deck.
    I would add another classic: (simulated) old noisy 78 rpm record with high pitched voice reproduced through an acoustic phonograph (horn). Characteristic high surface noise (ssshhhh...) and incorrect (too high) speed are a must.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 11-18-2023 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The opening of Close to the Edge?
    Close to the Edge is probably the most famous. There's also some nature sounds on Pink Floyd's More (in the beginning part I think). I know there are other examples but I can't really think of any at the moment.

Also on Animals, I believe (treated). But my point was whether Mr.Krautman actually hated that example.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Also on Animals, I believe (treated). But my point was whether Mr.Krautman actually hated that example.
    Absolutely not. I think Animals is among the rare records where the extra added natural (animals) sounds are perfectly in context and an integral part of the work. I can't imagine Animals without these sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Does that mean that we have actually developed higher standards, or have we simply become jaded? Familiarity breeds contempt.
    Not that our standards were lower but the technology back then to realistically reproduce real acoustic instruments by electronic means was not yet available.
    We had to be content with coarse approximations which later became a typical recognizable sound of their own, not the one they were supposed to emulate:

A Mellotron doesn't sound like an orchestra but like a Mellotron.
    A (Solina) string ensemble doesnt't sound like a string ensemble, but like a Solina.
    A (Yamaha) CP-80 dosn't sound like a grand piano but like a CP-80
    A TR-808 doen't sound like a real drumkit but like a TR-808
    etc...

All these (flawed) sounds are instantly recognizable and some of them were overused to the point of being a (unbearable) "cliché" nowadays.

From the mid-80ies advanced sampling techniques (and drop in memory chips prices) put an end to this and (with a few exceptions) to creative synthesis. At that point started the "preset era" which is still going on today...
    When King Kong was released in 1933, the special effects were spectacular. By today's standards, they're an absolute joke.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Absolutely not. I think Animals is among the rare records where the extra added natural (animals) sounds are perfectly in context and an integral part of the work. I can't imagine Animals without these sounds.
    What I meant to ask was, whether you disliked the sounds at the beginning/end of CttE.

Ya know, Marek, we have an explosion at the end, you just didn't listen that far!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I can't remember the album (it was recent), but Celeste has an album that starts with a child speaking in Italian. It's totally charming.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I can't remember the album (it was recent), but Celeste has an album that starts with a child speaking in Italian. It's totally charming.
    It's Il Risveglio del Principe

^^^ Thanks. I think the album is amazing. What are your thoughts?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ^^^ Thanks. I think the album is amazing. What are your thoughts?
    It is fantastic! I even don't know whether I like more the first Celeste (Principe Di Un Giorno) or this one. Beautiful music! And Ciro is such a great musician (and person).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You like evil laughter? Do I have an upcoming Present release for you!
    Its Pierre being tickled heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by Dunamis View Post
    It is fantastic! I even don't know whether I like more the first Celeste (Principe Di Un Giorno) or this one. Beautiful music! And Ciro is such a great musician (and person).
    I feel the same way. Principe Di Un Giorno is a favourite of mine since I started collecting Italian prog (top 10). I can't believe Il Risveglio del Principe is equal or close to their 1970s masterpiece. I've had emails back and forth with Ciro and he's totally friendly.

Just got an e-mail from Ciro, which states that a new Celeste album, called Echi Di Un Futuro Passato (Echoes of a Past Future) is about to come out in the beginning of next year. The cover looks very Roger Deanish ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunamis View Post
    Just got an e-mail from Ciro, which states that a new Celeste album, called Echi Di Un Futuro Passato (Echoes of a Past Future) is about to come out in the beginning of next year. The cover looks very Roger Deanish ;-)
    Me too.