Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Overused sounds in prog you love/hate

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    80ies Genesis and (mostly) Collins solo work uses a different unbearable sound gimmick: the "gated reverb drum sound". Just awful, it was first used by Peter Gabriel and heavily overused since. For me it systematically reminds the worst 80ies commercial pop sound. Designed for P.G by sound engineer Hugh Padgham, I'm definitely not going to thank him for his "invention".

In Brand X Collins never used this sound (not invented yet) but a standard (acoustic) drumkit. His playing was mostly light and jazzy, not heavy "powerdrumming". With Brand X you can really hear how a good and versatile drummer Collins was.
    Is "gated reverb drumming" regular drums with an electronic reverb added? Or synth drums with the reverb added? Or either one? Or something else. I know I've heard it plenty, and I know what it sounds like, but I've never really been sure what it was exactly. I didn't know there was a specific originator of the sound! Hugh Padgham was so fucking '80s!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is "gated reverb drumming" regular drums with an electronic reverb added? Or synth drums with the reverb added? Or either one? Or something else. I know I've heard it plenty, and I know what it sounds like, but I've never really been sure what it was exactly.
    It is drums with electronic reverb, but "gated" means that the reverb is cut off so that it is only heard while the drum is actually sounding instead of continuing to ring afterwards like natural reverb. This is the classic example; you can hear it especially clearly on the last beat of the six-note drum pattern in the intro.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I still own an 80s Alesis Microverb...with a gated reverb preset. Which I must confess at the time, I thought was way cool. Using it on my Roland TR-505 drum machine.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Vocals from the songwriter even when that person can't sing. It's not quirky. It's not eclectic. It's just the inability to carry a tune and/or the misfortune of having an annoying sounding voice. My suggestion is to get a singer. Pete Townshend had the right idea.
    H'mmm. Yes and no. I actually like Pete's voice ... in the right place. For example: in "Baba O'Riley," it's hard to imagine Roger singing "don't cry, don't raise your eyes; it's only teenage wasteland." Likewise his short bit in WGFA. But a whole Who album of his singing? No, I don't think so.

But I mostly like his solo albums (and I generally enjoy his demos).
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I still own an 80s Alesis Microverb...with a gated reverb preset. Which I must confess at the time, I thought was way cool. Using it on my Roland TR-505 drum machine.
    Yikes. Had one too, and sadly remember that when I dismantled my studio before leaving the UK for a couple of years back in 2015 ,that I ended up donating it along with other stuff to the local Shelter charity shop . But yeah. That effect was a "time and a place".

Another overused sound gimmick which wasn't mentioned yet is the famous "SLAP-BASS" sound, you know the "PENG-PENG" nearly all bass players feel absolutely obligated to include in their parts. There's no modern bass solo without lots of "PENG-PENG's" in it.
    I have no idea who used this playing technique first (I'd guess some old Jazz musician) and the first time I heard it was in a 70ies Stanley Clarke solo record, and I found it really great back then. But from then on, everybody started to use it and it became an overtused cliché. It's still used today but it seems it's slowly going out of fashion and is less systematically used nowadays (except of course in bass solos).
    There was something similar when Jaco Pastorius started to play on an electric fretless bass, soon afterwards all bass players started trying to copy his style and sound. But it only lasted for a relatively short while since for playing a fretless bass you really need to be a GOOD (if possible classical-trained) bass player while any mediocre bass player can do "PENG-PENG's"...
    And the "king" of "PENG-PENG's" is... Mark KING (Level 42), his play is made of constant slapping and very few "real" (played) notes.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 12-19-2023 at 05:03 AM.

Another overused sound gimmick which wasn't mentioned yet is the famous "SLAP-BASS" sound, you know the "PENG-PENG" nearly all bass players feel absolutely obligated to include in their parts. There's no modern bass solo without lots of "PENG-PENG's" in it.
    I have no idea who used this playing technique first (I'd guess some old Jazz musician) and the first time I heard it was in a 70ies Stanley Clarke solo record, and I found it really great back then. But from then on, everybody started to use it and it became an overtused cliché. It's still used today but it seems it's slowly going out of fashion and is less systematically used nowadays (except of course in bass solos).
    There was something similar when Jaco Pastorius started to play on an electric fretless bass, soon afterwards all bass players started trying to copy his style and sound. But it only lasted for a relatively short while since for playing a fretless bass you really need to be a GOOD (if possible classical-trained) bass player while any mediocre bass player can do "PENG-PENG's"...
    And the "king" of "PENG-PENG's" is... Mark KING (Level 42), his play is made of constant slapping and very few "real" (played) notes.
    I can watch Mohini Dey do it because she's cute. Otherwise, I'd skip if it went more than 20 seconds.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Flea of RHCP is pretty good at it as well.
    To me, it's just another technique to pull out of the bag when needed. A 'rudiment' so to speak

Was it Bootsy Collins of Funkedelic who championed it? Ahhhh - wiki says it was Larry Graham of Sly and the Family Stone
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slapping_(music)

But I don't remember much use within prog
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I can watch Mohini Dey do it because she's cute. Otherwise, I'd skip if it went more than 20 seconds.
    OK, thank you... now I feel a little bit stupid.
    I've never heard about Mohini Dey and made a quick YT search.
    All I can say is she can "slap" me any day, any time...
    She's really over the top, over the best bass players, over the virtuso level.
    My jaw dropped, can't even say if she's cute or not. Doesn't matter.

It was really bad when used in the Seinfeld theme and incidental music. It wasn't even real....it was played on a workstation keyboard.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I always associate the "slap-bass" sound with Tetsuo Sakurai of Casiopea, but I am reasonably sure he did not originate it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Flea of RHCP is pretty good at it as well.
    To me, it's just another technique to pull out of the bag when needed. A 'rudiment' so to speak

Was it Bootsy Collins of Funkedelic who championed it? Ahhhh - wiki says it was Larry Graham of Sly and the Family Stone
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slapping_(music)
    He may have been the first to use it on electric bass, but it was invented much earlier, there is evidence for its use in the 17th century: https://research.lizzywelsh.com/?page_id=156
    One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air.
    https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/

Cross post from Progarchives :P

I like Take a Break Today by Triumvirat. It's a catchy and enjoyable prog lite track. The best thing about it is the illustrative sound effects. :3 That's really cute. What's extremely cool is that the band created them using their musical instruments and did not use cheesy pre recorded samples!

Take a listen and pay attention to this:

🗎❛The Sunset Boulevard traffic lights all synthesized in tune❜ ― 🔈 sci fi style synth arps signifying the traffic lights lighting up in sync

🗎❛On Sunday afternoon with people on the run❜ ― 🔈 syncopated drum beats signifying people walking

🗎❛The New York jets they say flew in from JFK❜ ― 🔈 filtered noise oscillator signifying jetplanes taking off
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Why were hippies so fond of starting albums really quietly for 20-30 seconds, with maybe just a little barely audible talking, so that you turned it way up and usually had to turn it back down?! Gentle Giant's Interview just got me with this!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Why were hippies so fond of starting albums really quietly for 20-30 seconds, with maybe just a little barely audible talking, so that you turned it way up and usually had to turn it back down?! Gentle Giant's Interview just got me with this!
    King Crimson were big on that--all of the first five albums, pretty much.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Jade Warrior did that sort of thing a lot: a quiet bit suddenly interrupted by loud percussion, etc.

Sounds in Prog that were overused? Female moans and vocalizing like Donna Summer and Chaka Khan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunamis View Post
    Just got an e-mail from Ciro, which states that a new Celeste album, called Echi Di Un Futuro Passato (Echoes of a Past Future) is about to come out in the beginning of next year. The cover looks very Roger Deanish ;-)
    This reminds me of something that is overused...it isn't a sound, but rather the juxtaposition of 'past and future' in album titles and band names. I suppose Days Of Future Passed by the Moodies was the first one, but the idea was getting hokey around the time of Remember The Future (Nektar). Surprised to see a band still doing that in 2024 but since they are Italian they get a pass

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yeh -- My first Crimson experience was a bargain-bin cassette tape of Lark's Tonguse in Aspic, on a cheap handheld player. LTiA1 started so quiet that I turned it up all the way...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Yeh -- My first Crimson experience was a bargain-bin cassette tape of Lark's Tonguse in Aspic, on a cheap handheld player. LTiA1 started so quiet that I turned it up all the way...
    That's what you call dynamics.

I'm remembered on my album with The Planets by Holst, which made my mom ask if I could turn down the volume, which I didn't like, because when I did that, I could hear the soft parts.