Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett "The Circus and The Nightwhale"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Agreed, have a listen to Nick's album Hexameron on which Hackett guests

What I like about Nick Magnus is that his influences and ideas of melody and arrangement seem to be very similar to Tony Banks. Not that he's imitating - that they both come from the same place.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think both of those are very good albums (as is the underrated Wild Orchids). I'd say far superior to his 2010s output, which has perhaps attracted more attention with his Genesis Revisited touring. I'm glad for Hackett that these albums did OK, but I hope some of those who got back on board with something like Wolflight have checked the 90s/00s albums out. They do go in and out of print.

Cured is indeed probably better than its reputation. I don't personally play it as much as those first four, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, based on what's been said about it.
    Cured was a bit of a letdown, when I bought it. It was my only Steve Hackett album and I bought it after having read a review comparing it to England. Now I own more Steve Hackett albums and I like Cured, though it still doesn't sound like England to me.

I like Cured, played it this afternoon. That tour was the first time I saw him at Hammersmith Odeon in 1981. For me yes its a step down from the first 4 but still has a lot of magic about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    I'd like to think that when the artist was given the title of the album there was a hope that the resulting painting would somehow mix the elements in some creative way, maybe in a metaphorical or abstract fashion. But no, it's literally a circus in a whale's mouth, at night.
    The more I look at it, I think it's a historically bad cover. The kind that show up in those "Worst Covers Of All Time" lists.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The more I look at it, I think it's a historically bad cover. The kind that show up in those "Worst Covers Of All Time" lists.
    It looks like someone used an AI program to illustrate the title.

Cured is underrated though still a step down from what came before. And truly awful cover especially compared to what came before.

I’ll also put some support in for the 90s albums. guitar noir is one of my favorites and the live archive release from when they were touring it is ace too.

I have a soft spot for Cured, but I think you have to love the guy to enjoy the vocals.
    I always got the feeling it was him being frustrated with his relationship with Kim and I also got the feeling he was drinking a lot in those days.
    And to me, those 2 elements come out in the music.
    Air Conditioned Nightmare is one of my favorites.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I've grown more fond of the album Highly Strung, but my personal version of it (which I probably posted some time here and don't remember). A concise 30 minutes minus the filler/poppy songs.

1. Group Therapy
    2. Time Lapse At Milton Keynes
    3. Camino Royale
    4. Cell 151
    5. Always Somewhere Else
    6. India Rubber Man
    7. Hackett To Pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I've grown more fond of the album Highly Strung, but my personal version of it (which I probably posted some time here and don't remember). A concise 30 minutes minus the filler/poppy songs.
    At the risk of being told by you that "Weightless sucks" - - I'm going to go ahead and say that, despite the fact that it features virtually no guitar by one of the world's best guitarists, I love Weightless.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    At the risk of being told by you that "Weightless sucks" - - I'm going to go ahead and say that, despite the fact that it features virtually no guitar by one of the world's best guitarists, I love Weightless.
    Don't remember it but I'll listen.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I have a soft spot for Cured [...]. I also got the feeling he was drinking a lot in those days.
    I always assumed the title was a rather clever play on the two meanings of the word "Cured": 1) Made well again and 2) Soaked in alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I always assumed the title was a rather clever play on the two meanings of the word "Cured": 1) Made well again and 2) Soaked in alcohol.
    Yes...I thought that as well.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Per usual for a SH release from the past 10-15 years:

+
    good guitar playing
    vocals are better than expected though nothing special (but why not use Nad Sylvan?)

-
    the song itself isn't all that interesting - doesn't go anywhere
    plodding '80s-ish drums
    completely superfluous video

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Per usual for a SH release from the past 10-15 years:

+
    good guitar playing
    vocals are better than expected though nothing special (but why not use Nad Sylvan?)

-
    the song itself isn't all that interesting - doesn't go anywhere
    plodding '80s-ish drums
    completely superfluous video
    Sadly that is pretty much the formula these days. I assume enough people buy his current albums to make it worthwhile but I stopped quite a while back.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sadly that is pretty much the formula these days. I assume enough people buy his current albums to make it worthwhile but I stopped quite a while back.
    Thanks God he has the old Genesis material to flog.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

This is certainly picking up many great reviews all over the place. Anyone got it yet?

You can hear the whole thing on YouTube. Surprisingly, I find that I like it a lot. All the tracks flow together very well as a concept album. Many of the usual tricks are present, but for some reason, they seem to click for me this time around.

Also on bandcamp

This is certainly picking up many great reviews all over the place. Anyone got it yet?
    Mine left Denver yesterday heading toward Seattle.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I haven’t decided if I want to buy the artbook format, with that hideous cover art!

I actually like the cover but the album is not for me. I can hear that it's good in parts but many people are saying it's his best or one of his best which baffles me to be honest.

I actually like the cover but the album is not for me. I can hear that it's good in parts but many people are saying it's his best or one of his best which baffles me to be honest.
    Yeah I've seen some pretty over-the-top reviews for this one, with more hyperbole than usual. I mean, we all know the usual suspects who give everything an automatic 8.5 to 9.5 out of 10, as though every album that's released is on par with the Crimson Kings and Selling Englands, but even comments I'm seeing on social media from individuals with no agenda are praising this one to the skies. I don't know why, because it's just more of the same if you ask me. I know that's been the case for a while, but the last few happened to have some moments I rather enjoyed... whereas I struggled with this one a lot. Just a taste thing.
    Last edited by Progatron; 02-18-2024 at 09:58 AM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Listening the Cured in Cleveland grey-area release (which I've had as a ROIO for years) reminds me that as a vocalist, Steve's a great guitarist. What a band...Magnus, Mosely, Cronk... but oh those vocals. Saw that show at the Paradise in Boston.