Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: BIG BIG TRAIN - THE LIKES OF US MARCH 1st 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    IIRC they were looking for a guitar playing trumpeter to cover Dave Foster's parts and add a modicum of brass to the stripped-down band. Dave was stood down for this leg to accommodate the needs of the fuller sound. Seems a little unfair on Dave, he missed the last tour because of other commitments, so he hasn't had much chance to cement himself in the live setting. I am sure he willingly acquiesced.
    It is the second time I read somewhere that Dave Foster isn't going to be with them in the U.S. but I can't find any official report confirming as such. I don't think the trumpeter is there to replace him for this tour but merely to add some brass flavour because the BBT brassband will not be with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    It is the second time I read somewhere that Dave Foster isn't going to be with them in the U.S. but I can't find any official report confirming as such. I don't think the trumpeter is there to replace him for this tour but merely to add some brass flavour because the BBT brassband will not be with them.
    Yes that's what I was saying. I know that they were looking for a stand-in guitarist who could also play some trumpet.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Exerpted from the post by BBT on Facebook, Decermber 12:

For these four shows the band’s line-up will consist of Alberto Bravin (lead vocals), Nick D’Virgilio (drums), Oskar Holldorff (keyboards), Clare Lindley (violin), Rikard Sjöblom (guitars/keyboards) and Gregory Spawton (bass) as well as an additional multi-instrumentalist who will play trumpet, guitar and keyboards.

“In an ideal world Big Big Train would include a full brass section at every show, but financial realities just don’t allow us that luxury currently,” explains Gregory Spawton. “Going forwards we want Big Big Train to play as many shows as possible - meaning that we will be performing some shows with and some without the brass section. We’re keen to retain a brass element in all shows however and therefore Dave Foster has very graciously agreed to sit out our North America shows so that we can bring in a trumpet player, whose name we will be announcing soon.”

“Playing with a trumpet player is going to give these US shows a different flavour,” Rikard Sjöblom says. “We’ve got a great set list planned and I’m excited about being able to show what Big Big Train can do as a seven piece live band before we re-unite with a full brass section for the two shows on board Cruise To The Edge.”

Then, yesterday:

Big Big Train 1d
    ·
    We are pleased to announce that Cade Gotthardt will be performing with us at all of our shows in the USA and on Cruise To The Edge in March. Cade is a 27-year-old jazz trumpeter, multi-instrumentalist, and producer based in Los Angeles, California. Cade regularly plays with countless different groups in various musical styles including popular music, straight-ahead jazz, Latin jazz, Latin pop, Persian pop, R&B, neo-soul, funk, and now progressive rock. Please join us in welcoming Cade to the BBT team!
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Mine is on its way to me. Assume it shipped from the UK, so maybe it won’t actually arrive until March 1st.

Ember
    Band Wagon USA posted that they will be getting them to the Post Office on Monday. The USPS postage is apparently paid and the mailing labels processed; Monday is the day InsideOut lifts the shipping embargo. Hoping to have listened to the Atmos mix in my home theater, listened to the stereo mix on my planar magnetic headphones, and ripped the CD so I can listen in the car on my way to the shows in New Jersey, all before next Saturday. It's a challenging agenda, but I believe I'm up to it!

Band Wagon shipped my copy yesterday. Hoping it’ll be in my grubby mitts early next week.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Hoping I get mine before we head south for Cruise To The Edge next weekend.

Correction, mine had ‘label created’ by Band Wagon (Ohio) on Friday. My audio system is configured for 5.1, so looking forward to listening in surround.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Band Wagon shipped my copy yesterday. Hoping it’ll be in my grubby mitts early next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Hoping I get mine before we head south for Cruise To The Edge next weekend.
    As ca1ore said, InsideOut won't let them until Monday, so it looks like early next week isn't realistic. I wouldn't expect too much from Media Mail, but Band Wagon is certainly on top of it at least.

Dang, I didn’t realize the NJ show was next weekend! So I probably won’t have the new album before that, and I haven’t listened to the advance singles at all yet. Too bad there’s not a little more time between the release and the shows - I’ve never been to a show where a band that I like has a new album I haven’t heard at all! I’m scared.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Then there have been timeless shows featuring music from albums yet to be released, such as Yes in November '74 at the Garden, days before Relayer was released. I remember raving about the new music at school the next day.

I just put in a pre-order earlier today for the new one from LE. Looking forward to it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I’ve never been to a show where a band that I like has a new album I haven’t heard at all! I’m scared.
    Aaah come on, this is the year of living dangerously ... nothing to be scared about.

Ember
    1. I have heard == unofficially and maybe unreliably -- that the setlists for the NJ shows will be heavy on the standard repertoire, without necessarily playing the bulk of the new album. And of the new songs they do play, you can probably expect the "singles" (plus last year's "Last Eleven," which was also finished for the new disc) to be foremost amongst them, and that's almost half the album right there.

2. I got an actual shipping notice for my CD/BD package that promises delivery on Wednesday. Stoked, I am.

3. There will be streaming of the new album available on Friday, for those who (like me) feel compelled to hear it before the shows, whether they're playing it all or not. Check your usual sources, 'cos I'm not sure where it will be.

What do folks think the chances of them playing "The Underfall Yard" (song) is on this tour? I don't follow them closely and don't know what their standard setlist is.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    What do folks think the chances of them playing "The Underfall Yard" (song) is on this tour? I don't follow them closely and don't know what their standard setlist is.
    Well, it is a Spawton song. But it's brass-heavy, and the first four US dates are sans brass. They did not play it on the last tour, the first with Alberto. But they have had time to work up a new setlist, both for the US tour, for CTE, and for the Europe tour starting later this year. So... 50/50?

They added a trumpet player to the US gigs, so light brass presence.
    I'll be buying the new album at the NJ shows.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I just put in a pre-order earlier today for the new one from LE. Looking forward to it.
    Lasers Edge is showing them in-stock, so I got my order in just now - should have it in time for the shows this weekend! Will definitely be listening on my drive up the turnpike.

^ I would probably do that if I thought it would get here by Friday, but that's expecting a lot.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    They added a trumpet player to the US gigs, so light brass presence.
    Yes, I'm thinking it'll be trumpet + keyboard simulating the brass section, and I expect it will sound pretty good. But there's no getting around that when Cade Gotthardt is playing trumpet and Oskar is filling in the other brass parts, the band as a whole will then be light by one guitar (no Dave Foster) and one keyboard (if Oskar is filling the brass). So it will be fascinating to hear how they arrange their way around these changes.

Cade will also be playing in Buffalo and on the Cruise, when a full brass section is promised. Will he just be the trumpeter in the brass section then, or will he be filling in for Dave Foster more on guitar and playing less trumpet? I hope to find out via messages in bottles, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I would probably do that if I thought it would get here by Friday, but that's expecting a lot.
    Yeah, I (and Laser's Edge) are both in NJ, so most shipments get to me pretty quickly. Just to be sure, I chose the USPS First Class option, which was like 15 cents more than Media Mail, to make sure. And got the email that my order is going out in today's mail. Gotta love Ken's service! I also grabbed this CD that he highly recommended by an Argentinian symphonic prog band, Quásar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Yeah, I (and Laser's Edge) are both in NJ, so most shipments get to me pretty quickly. Just to be sure, I chose the USPS First Class option, which was like 15 cents more than Media Mail, to make sure. And got the email that my order is going out in today's mail. Gotta love Ken's service! I also grabbed this CD that he highly recommended by an Argentinian symphonic prog band, Quásar.
    Thanks Dan. You will love that Quásar disc.

It’s a Big, Big Miracle! The CD is Out for Delivery already! Amazing speed and accuracy for Media Mail! Normally it would be making an unnecessary trip to NJ now. Psyched. Thanks rdclark for the set list insight.

CD/BR out for delivery for me also.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It’s a Big, Big Miracle! The CD is Out for Delivery already! Amazing speed and accuracy for Media Mail! Normally it would be making an unnecessary trip to NJ now. Psyched. Thanks rdclark for the set list insight.
    Never mind, I was wrong!