Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: BIG BIG TRAIN - THE LIKES OF US MARCH 1st 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Big Big Train announced: "Big Big Train will continue with a line-up of Alberto Bravin, Nick D’Virgilio, Oskar Holldorff, Clare Lindley, Rikard Sjöblom and Gregory Spawton."
    I understand this lineup is for studio work only. There are so many talented musicians in this band that it sometimes sounds like they are struggling to find parts for everyone on the albums. It's probably better for them to carry on with a reduced lineup in the studio. Rikard can play all the lead guitar parts and they can always hire a guest if they need a more technical solo or a different feel.

I may be wrong, but for live work I think they will need another guitar player. Rikard has a lot to do between guitar and keyboards, and my understanding is that the US tour was a tremendous amount of work for him, being the only lead guitar player onstage for the first time in BBT. I don't see Rikard staying in this configuration as the only lead guitar player live with occasional support from Alberto. Apart from the pressure on Rikard, I'm not sure that would allow them to recreate the original arrangements, which is what they usually aim for. I suspect they might use Maria Barbieri again, without making her a full member, she was very good when I saw her with them last year. Or they might use someone else. But I would be surprised if they didn't hire a live guitar player for future gigs.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

An alternative arrangement of "Last Eleven" recorded while the band were on tour last spring:

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    TBH, I did not miss Foster much in the two NJ shows. Bravin acquitted himself admirably on electric/acoustic and on keys, without compromising his dynamic frontman stage presence. Rikard was fantastic. When there needed to be two electric guitars, or multiple acoustics, or whatever combo, there generally were. Missed the brass a lot more, though less than expected, and less in the moment than in retrospect.
    I agree 100%. In fact, I was surprised by the addition of Foster to the band because they seemed to have no pressing need for him (although I like his playing, and in fact I have two CDs by his earlier band, Mr. So & So). That's often how I feel about "additional" guitarists though. But something further to add to the above, is that Rikard also was able to get in a respectable amount of keyboard time too. They seemed busy, but not overtaxed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I understand this lineup is for studio work only. There are so many talented musicians in this band that it sometimes sounds like they are struggling to find parts for everyone on the albums. It's probably better for them to carry on with a reduced lineup in the studio. Rikard can play all the lead guitar parts and they can always hire a guest if they need a more technical solo or a different feel.

I may be wrong, but for live work I think they will need another guitar player. Rikard has a lot to do between guitar and keyboards, and my understanding is that the US tour was a tremendous amount of work for him, being the only lead guitar player onstage for the first time in BBT. I don't see Rikard staying in this configuration as the only lead guitar player live with occasional support from Alberto. Apart from the pressure on Rikard, I'm not sure that would allow them to recreate the original arrangements, which is what they usually aim for. I suspect they might use Maria Barbieri again, without making her a full member, she was very good when I saw her with them last year. Or they might use someone else. But I would be surprised if they didn't hire a live guitar player for future gigs.
    Well, Rikard carried it off deftly!

Rikard is a force of nature that always floors me.
    The last NJ Proghouse Homecoming he played at was absolutely incredible.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I suspect they might use Maria Barbieri again, without making her a full member, she was very good when I saw her with them last year.
    I seriously would hope so, because I thought she brought a different flavour to the table then either Gregory, Sjoblom or Foster and it was a flavour I really liked. I always had a feeling that having Foster in the band somehow wouldn't work out in combination with his commitments to the Steve Rothery Band and apparently Rothery has the intention of taking that band out on the road much more.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    An alternative arrangement of "Last Eleven" recorded while the band were on tour last spring:

This is very good!

Ember
    I assume this was the session people could pay to attend for hand-on studio-craft instruction. IIRC, attendance was, sadly, poor. And for those who missed the shows, this (plus trumpeter Cade Gotthardt) was the version of BBT that played the first several US shows.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Rikard is an amazing talent. I remember when we first brought Beardfish to the U.S. for their first ever stateside performance at ProgDay 2006. Michael Bennett brokered the deal as I was not particularly familiar with them at the time. They completely floored the crowd and right from the get-go you could tell they were something special. Since that time, I have seen Beardfish several times and seen Gungfly (another Rikard project) once. I also got to see BBT on CTTE this past spring. I am really really happy to see that Beardfish is back together making new music and looking forward to seeing both them and BBT on CTTE in 2025.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Was that by chance this, or was there another appearance (don't know if this was a "Homecoming" or not)? This is definitely worth watching!

I assume this was the session people could pay to attend for hand-on studio-craft instruction. IIRC, attendance was, sadly, poor. And for those who missed the shows, this (plus trumpeter Cade Gotthardt) was the version of BBT that played the first several US shows.
    I don't think it was ever intended to have a huge audience. IIRC it was billed as a recording master class so you would expect it to have a small audience.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was that by chance this, or was there another appearance (don't know if this was a "Homecoming" or not)? This is definitely worth watching!

No, It wasn't Beardfish, just Rikard solo. I can't recall the year. 2018 or 2019.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    I don't think it was ever intended to have a huge audience. IIRC it was billed as a recording master class so you would expect it to have a small audience.
    Yes, but IIRC the session was capped at 12 but only two people actually signed up.

Ember
    Also, not sure if this has been posted here, posted on Facebook by Greg Spawton about a week ago:

“Our financial position is such that we are not currently planning to play any shows in the remainder of 2024 with a full brass band.”

Not as clear now is whether they will recruit any additional musicians at all, such as the trumpeter they used in the US. When they began promoting “The Likes of Us” tour, even then they referred to the “seven piece” band, but that was months before Foster left. I do know that the six-piece BBT is more than capable of putting on a memorable show that represents their music very well, although the trumpet player was a very welcome enhancement (and also an occasional distraction, as he spent a bit too much time sitting off to the side, doing nothing, and looking bored).

Also, not sure if this has been posted here, posted on Facebook by Greg Spawton about a week ago:

“Our financial position is such that we are not currently planning to play any shows in the remainder of 2024 with a full brass band.”

Not as clear now is whether they will recruit any additional musicians at all, such as the trumpeter they used in the US. When they began promoting “The Likes of Us” tour, even then they referred to the “seven piece” band, but that was months before Foster left. I do know that the six-piece BBT is more than capable of putting on a memorable show that represents their music very well, although the trumpet player was a very welcome enhancement (and also an occasional distraction, as he spent a bit too much time sitting off to the side, doing nothing, and looking bored).
    What should he have done to make things less distracting?

What should he have done to make things less distracting?

Ember
    Spend less time sitting off to the side, doing nothing, and looking bored.

His default disinterested demeanor, apparently unmoved by the music, was occasional visual buzzkill with six other such dynamic presences on stage. I saw them both nights in NJ, where he did seem a bit more animated the second night. And he seemed to have spent an extra minute getting dressed for that show as well.

I don't intend to make of this more than the minor issue it was. There was an energy gradient on stage, and he was at the low end. This was exacerbated by his physical isolation on stage.

Spend less time sitting off to the side, doing nothing, and looking bored.

His default disinterested demeanor, apparently unmoved by the music, was occasional visual buzzkill with six other such dynamic presences on stage. I saw them both nights in NJ, where he did seem a bit more animated the second night. And he seemed to have spent an extra minute getting dressed for that show as well.

I don't intend to make of this more than the minor issue it was. There was an energy gradient on stage, and he was at the low end. This was exacerbated by his physical isolation on stage.
    Thanks for the explanation, it was meant as a legitimate question (no snark). I assume he was doing what he was hired to do, and probably doing it where he was told to do it. Sometimes backup singers or brass/woodwinds/extra percussionists are really exuberant, but sometimes their main focus is simply playing their parts. I saw them with the full brass section and (as I assumed they would) they were seated and not particularly emotive. Definitely didn't impact my enjoyment (as a brass player (and long ago woodwind player), I'm just excited to see a horn section anytime there is one.

Ember
    The full brass section at least has the strength of numbers, more people to look at. They're not one guy alone in a space meant for a whole brass section. Also, the new stage layout, with Nick at stage left, with Nick, Greg, and Rikard all on one end, with Oskar and his keys along with Alberto and Rikard's keys all clumped in the center, creates a real imbalance. (I'm not a fan of Nick's new location, either.)

Contrasted with all that, the isolated trumpeter sitting on a chair in the corner behind Clare stopped the eye, especially with everyone else on stage going 110 percent.

Again, these were two monumentally great shows that I still think about every day almost four months later. I just wished that the least enthusiastic-looking person in the entire venue didn't get to be on stage.

Discovering Greg's post out of context, it's not clear to me if the shows announced for 2024 will not feature the brass band, or if they will not be able to use the brass band on possible additional shows other than the ones already announced.

The full brass section at least has the strength of numbers, more people to look at. They're not one guy alone in a space meant for a whole brass section. Also, the new stage layout, with Nick at stage left, with Nick, Greg, and Rikard all on one end, with Oskar and his keys along with Alberto and Rikard's keys all clumped in the center, creates a real imbalance. (I'm not a fan of Nick's new location, either.)

Contrasted with all that, the isolated trumpeter sitting on a chair in the corner behind Clare stopped the eye, especially with everyone else on stage going 110 percent.

Again, these were two monumentally great shows that I still think about every day almost four months later. I just wished that the least enthusiastic-looking person in the entire venue didn't get to be on stage.
    To each their own, I guess. Can't see this bothering me at all.

Ember
    Discovering Greg's post out of context, it's not clear to me if the shows announced for 2024 will not feature the brass band, or if they will not be able to use the brass band on possible additional shows other than the ones already announced.
    I think “any shows” is unambiguous. Additionally, if you look at the tour announcement from earlier this year (on their site), they say explicitly “At these performances the seven piece band will be promoting…”. Finally, the entire context of the Facebook discussion was the expense of bringing the brass.

I can actually find no statements anywhere that there will be brass at any of the upcoming shows.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    To each their own, I guess. Can't see this bothering me at all.
    Maybe it wouldn’t. Or maybe you had to be there. Or maybe it wasn’t me who chose to focus on one comment in a post that was mostly about something else.

I think “any shows” is unambiguous. Additionally, if you look at the tour announcement from earlier this year (on their site), they say explicitly “At these performances the seven piece band will be promoting…”. Finally, the entire context of the Facebook discussion was the expense of bringing the brass.

I can actually find no statements anywhere that there will be brass at any of the upcoming shows.
    Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't actually bothered to read the details of the tour announcement before buying my tickets. Not that I will miss the brass band that much, I've seen the band live with them four times now. I'm actually surprised they made a point of having them on tour for so long considering the expense of bringing four additional musicians who don't even play on all the songs.