Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BIG BIG TRAIN - THE LIKES OF US MARCH 1st 2024

BIG BIG TRAIN - THE LIKES OF US MARCH 1st 2024

The new Big Big Train studio album 'The Likes of Us'

We are delighted to announce the forthcoming release of our new studio album, The Likes Of Us, on 1st March 2024. As well as marking Alberto Bravin’s full recording debut with the band as our lead vocalist, The Likes Of Us will be our first release for InsideOut/Sony.

https://burningshed.com/store/bigbig...m_medium=Owned

Still auto-buy for me, but I’m not the biggest fan of the Common Ground/Welcome to the Planet (and I still think it’s weird that it’s not a double album, but I might be alone in that and it doesn’t matter either).

Fingers crossed for this one. Ordered the media book edition.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Still auto-buy for me, but I’m not the biggest fan of the Common Ground/Welcome to the Planet (and I still think it’s weird that it’s not a double album, but I might be alone in that and it doesn’t matter either).

Fingers crossed for this one. Ordered the media book edition.
    There was clearly a slight shift in the band's sound on those two albums as well as a change towards more personnal lyrics. I expect the new album to move forward in that direction.
    Let's face it, the band's so-called "classic" era ended with Grand Tour but it's great to see the band continue to evolve, even if part of that is due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

I'm looking forward to it, although I haven't fully digested the previous albums yet (partly because of that slight shift in the band's sound and songwriting).
    Recruiting Alberto Bravin as a vocalist is an interesting move. There is so much talent in the current line-up that I'm sure the album will be at least good (and as long as Greg Spawton is here, the spirit carries on).

Some US live dates added now as Gregory says "a teeny-tiny toes-in-the-water kind of Big Big Train US tour, but it's a start as we attempt to build our audience in North America"

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/live/

FRIDAY 1ST MARCH 2024
    Sweetwater Performance Theatre, Fort Wayne, Indiana

Saturday 2nd March 2024
    Rivoli Theater at The Williams Center, Rutherford, New Jersey

SUNDAY 3RD March 2024
    Rivoli Theater at The Williams Center, Rutherford, New Jersey

TUESDAY 5TH March 2024
    Regent Theatre, Arlington (Boston), Massachusetts

Friday 8th to Wednesday 13th March 2024 – Cruise To The Edge
    Cruise To The Edge

We are delighted to announce four shows in the USA in March 2024. These shows are in addition to the band’s previously announced co-headlining appearances next year on board Cruise To The Edge in March and at the final Night Of The Prog in Germany in July as well as their debut at Cropredy festival in the UK in August.

The band’s two performances at the Rivoli Theater will feature substantially different set lists. Tickets for all shows will go on sale at 10am Eastern US time on Friday 15th December.
    For these four shows the band’s line-up will consist of Alberto Bravin (lead vocals), Nick D’Virgilio (drums), Oskar Holldorff (keyboards), Clare Lindley (violin), Rikard Sjöblom (guitars/keyboards) and Gregory Spawton (bass) as well as an additional multi-instrumentalist who will play trumpet, guitar and keyboards.

“In an ideal world Big Big Train would include a full brass section at every show, but financial realities just don’t allow us that luxury currently,” explains Gregory Spawton. “Going forwards we want Big Big Train to play as many shows as possible – meaning that we will be performing some shows with and some without the brass section. We’re keen to retain a brass element in all shows however and therefore Dave Foster has very graciously agreed to sit out our North America shows so that we can bring in a trumpet player, whose name we will be announcing soon.”

"First we conquer Ft. Wayne, then we conquer the world."

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "First we conquer Ft. Wayne, then we conquer the world."
    It doesn't hurt that their drummer works at Sweetwater in Ft. Wayne and they have a live concert venue.

Yep. I'll be there if it goes off.

Auto buy

Ember
    No brass section. No Dave Foster (or Maria Barbieri). And of course the roster of missing past members who we might have seen on the Tour That Never Was in 2020.

Nevertheless I will be at both New Jersey shows, God (or Whatever) willing, fully in the present, reveling in the moment and trying not to think about the past. BBT exemplifies the power of musical vision transcending (while still celebrating and elevating) the individual.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

5.1 version ...... nice!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Will grab tix for the Regent tomorrow!

Missed them in Quebec, missed them in Scotland....third times a charm????
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    There was clearly a slight shift in the band's sound on those two albums as well as a change towards more personnal lyrics. I expect the new album to move forward in that direction.
    Let's face it, the band's so-called "classic" era ended with Grand Tour but it's great to see the band continue to evolve, even if part of that is due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Spawton did an interview a few months ago and expressed some regret regarding those two records - I’m paraphrasing but he conceded there was likely enough material for one solid album.

No doubt the “classic era” has ended but that gave me hope that the quality control regarding the song writing will be tightened up.

Quote Originally Posted by Threemboy View Post
    Spawton did an interview a few months ago and expressed some regret regarding those two records - I’m paraphrasing but he conceded there was likely enough material for one solid album.

No doubt the “classic era” has ended but that gave me hope that the quality control regarding the song writing will be tightened up.
    That's good to know because I thought there were a number of really weak songs on there, so I tend to play both those albums together while leaving out the dreck. It seemed to me they were searching for something different but didn't quite pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    That's good to know because I thought there were a number of really weak songs on there, so I tend to play both those albums together while leaving out the dreck. It seemed to me they were searching for something different but didn't quite pull it off.
    Sometimes it takes a couple of albums to find a new direction, but I expect them to find it this time around.
    I would appreciate a link to the interview that was mentioned, I don't think I heard it.

I only made one pass through the new album but I was impressed. Alberto Bravin is quite good.

Sometimes it takes a couple of albums to find a new direction, but I expect them to find it this time around.
    I would appreciate a link to the interview that was mentioned, I don't think I heard it.
    I will look tonight - it was a video/zoom interview on YouTube promoting Ingenious Devices.

I will look tonight - it was a video/zoom interview on YouTube promoting Ingenious Devices.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yyDK...9yeSBzcGF3dG9u

The comment regarding Common Ground/Welcome to The Planet is around the 47 minute mark.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I only made one pass through the new album but I was impressed. Alberto Bravin is quite good.
    The forthcoming new album or Ingenious Devices? Alberto is only on one track on the latter, and I didn’t think the upcoming one was out there yet, but perhaps you have an advanced copy? Nonetheless having seen him a few times live with the I can confirm he is very good, and an excellent frontman too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    The forthcoming new album or Ingenious Devices? Alberto is only on one track on the latter, and I didn’t think the upcoming one was out there yet, but perhaps you have an advanced copy? Nonetheless having seen him a few times live with the I can confirm he is very good, and an excellent frontman too.
    The forthcoming new album. Only had time to listen through it once but I enjoyed it.

The comment regarding Common Ground/Welcome to The Planet is around the 47 minute mark.
    Thanks for the link, I was not aware of this interview. I had never heard Greg say this before but I guess I agree with him: both Common Ground and Welcome to the Planet are not BBT's best work but show a band in a state of transition.

I once compared Common Ground to And Then There Were Three, which received sarcasm on the BBT fan page because my comparison was taken litterally, though obviously both albums have little in common musically. I still stand by it: in both cases, a band reduced to a few core members simplifies its songwriting somewhat and tries to find a new direction while retaining some elements of its classic sound.

Thanks for the link, I was not aware of this interview. I had never heard Greg say this before but I guess I agree with him: both Common Ground and Welcome to the Planet are not BBT's best work but show a band in a state of transition.

I once compared Common Ground to And Then There Were Three, which received sarcasm on the BBT fan page because my comparison was taken litterally, though obviously both albums have little in common musically. I still stand by it: in both cases, a band reduced to a few core members simplifies its songwriting somewhat and tries to find a new direction while retaining some elements of its classic sound.
    Although I adore ATTWT I think this is a good point.

New song