Thread: (Non-Prog) - Best Way To Sell A Very Old Collection Of ~1,000 Vinyl Records?

(Non-Prog) - Best Way To Sell A Very Old Collection Of ~1,000 Vinyl Records?

My late Father-In-Law was an avid collector. His record collection was mostly old jazz, big-band, and so on.

My Mother-In-Law, now aged 90yo, wants to know what to do with the collection. She's been offered about $0.25/record sight-unseen, and thinks it's a good deal.

So I'm (obviously) wondering what advice you learned sellers-and-resellers might have?

(We're not in a position to sell each one individually on Ebay.)

Thanks!
    Regards,

Duncan

Old jazz, big band and so on?

Sight unseen, $.25 isn’t a bad offer
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Old jazz, big band and so on?

Sight unseen, $.25 isn’t a bad offer
    Thanks, Steve.

Unfortunately I know precisely nothing about those genres, or about the collector world
    Regards,

Duncan

A few years ago, noticed new/sealed ones among some 1980s vinyl releases of 70+ year-old big band jazz recordings were finding buyers on eBay for $5-10 each on labels such as Hindsight Records (on their The Uncollected series), Insight Records, Sandy Hook Records. Even generally, people tend to value new/sealed records more. So, a flip through the collection might help separate new/sealed ones into their own group (by especially watching out for the labels above) so that such group is valued differently.

If its “old jazz” on the Blue Note and Riverside labels they are collectible and could be potentially extremely valuable. If you mean “old jazz” like Tommy Dorsey Big Band and Glen Miller I would grab the 25 cents per album and run.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    A few years ago, noticed new/sealed ones among some 1980s vinyl releases of 70+ year-old big band jazz recordings were finding buyers on eBay for $5-10 each on labels such as Hindsight Records (on their The Uncollected series), Insight Records, Sandy Hook Records. Even generally, people tend to value new/sealed records more. So, a flip through the collection might help separate new/sealed ones into their own group (by especially watching out for the labels above) so that such group is valued differently.
    I have no idea if any are still sealed - it's worth checking that out!

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    If its “old jazz” on the Blue Note and Riverside labels they are collectible and could be potentially extremely valuable. If you mean “old jazz” like Tommy Dorsey Big Band and Glen Miller I would grab the 25 cents per album and run.
    Hmmm - that seems to be a prevailing opinion

Oh well - my 90yo mother-in-law wasn't doing anything with them anyway, so a bit of $$ is better than an unused/un-appreciated collection gathering dust.

Thanks!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Oh well - my 90yo mother-in-law wasn't doing anything with them anyway, so a bit of $$ is better than an unused/un-appreciated collection gathering dust.
    I would take a wild - but - educated guess that your 90 year old mother in law's collection is like my 93 year old mother's collection, which is music of her youth (meaning Glenn Miller and the Dorsey brothers).
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I would take a wild - but - educated guess that your 90 year old mother in law's collection is like my 93 year old mother's collection, which is music of her youth (meaning Glenn Miller and the Dorsey brothers).
    Well, my dad's collection, who died 2020 at 92 is music from before his youth. Jelly Roll Morton, Bix Beiderbeck, early Duke Ellington, Louis Armstong Hot Five and Hot Seven, Fred Elisalde and a whole lot more, mostly from before 1930. Not only vinyl, bus also CD. His most recent CD is probably Ry Cooder - My name is Buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well, my dad's collection, who died 2020 at 92 is music from before his youth. Jelly Roll Morton, Bix Beiderbeck, early Duke Ellington, Louis Armstong Hot Five and Hot Seven, Fred Elisalde and a whole lot more, mostly from before 1930. Not only vinyl, bus also CD. His most recent CD is probably Ry Cooder - My name is Buddy.
    None of which is valuable.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

None of which is valuable.
    Not sure of that, but well, I don't know. My dad also had the Jelly Roll Morton Scrapbook.

Just from conversations with my MIL (who isn't really sure what's in the collection) - it seems you're exactly right.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Just from conversations with my MIL (who isn't really sure what's in the collection) - it seems you're exactly right.
    “Grab the $.25 and RUN!!” - the most controversial man in ProgRock….
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com