Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Do People Get So Upset When Their Favorite Music Get Criticism?

Ok, so that was silly. Yet Jonathan Haidt argues that the end-deductive verocity of phenomena like "safe spaces" on academic campuses etc. seems to be a sanctioning of exclusive tribalism as not only a faccet but indeed an ideal of the social contract; in other words, one should expect to be allowed to ask for the "other" to disappear into oblivion or rather for it to not ever having existed to begin with.
    Basically, you make my point.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

When I was younger I would get upset or angry if someone said they didn't like Yes or prog rock. Now I don't care. It's their loss. Plus not everyone is intelligent enough to appreciate Yes or prog.

Like many, the older I get, the less it bothers me.

Generally, I think it boils down to whether somebody is being willfully nasty and a complete ass, or not. I find that it's actually enjoyable to discuss differences in musical taste (even extreme ones) with someone, if it's on a level of genuine thoughtful discourse.

Neil

Negative criticism can have positive consequences. It nurtured my discovery of prog via the Rolling Stone Record Guide. If Dave Marsh hated it, it warranted at least a peek (if he used the word "pretentious" in his review, or complained about the presence of synthesizers on a recording, it shot to the top of the want list).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Always got a laugh at commentors back in the old days of 2002 here. "Don't tell us it sucks......tell us why it sucks."

I listen to music to bring joy to my day. The opinions of others mean nothing to me in that regard. Even if it is the artist her/himself. I recently read LaMonte McLemore's autobiography. He mentions 2 5th Dimension songs he didn't like at all - Light Sings & Living Together, Growing Together. They are 2 of my top 5th Dimension songs. He apologized if that bothered anyone, but it didn't bother me in the least. I love love love them both!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I get a kick out of it to be honest and can never take any of it seriously. Plus it's kinda fun to shit on something I don't like...like fuckin' morons actually thinking Guldens is better on a hot dog than French's.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

...and shitheads who take their toilet paper from the top.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

You guys are killing me......

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Hey, them's fightin' words!
    <sig out of order>

I think some folks get so personally attached to their favorite music that they can't immediately understand someone else not loving it. They'll take that critique personally every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    In Navy bootcamp, we not only had to take the TP from the top. When we were finished, we had to fold the sheet at the end of the roll into a triangle.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama