Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Songs You're Sick Of

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Songs I don't need to ever hear again:

Guns N Roses / Welcome To The Jungle
    Prince / Purple Rain and When Doves Cry
    I was just listening to the full-length version of "When Doves Cry," with the extended guitar solo and baroque synth solo, for the first time in ages. It really is a revelation if you've never heard the full track. My appreciation for Prince and his genius just grows with each day.

Nobody ever needs to hear anything by Guns & Roses again, though. Yuck!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I have heard Stairway To Heaven twice today, in two different pubs. And I have enjoyed every second of that song.

There's a bunch of songs I hear on the PA at work I don't really like. One particular is a song, I think, called I Called Mama. It's got this chorus that goes "I stopped off at the Texaco/Bought a Slim Jim and a Coke". I don't like that song, because it's about a guy calling his mom to tell her how much he misses her. Uhm, I no longer have the privilege of calling my mom and talking to her, and it hurts too much every time I hear it.

Another one I'm sick of is, I dunno I the title, but the last line of the chorus is "We break up in the end", and it's basically a guy singing about how he'd go through a relationship, even knowing that's it's going to eventually collapse, because I guess that's how much he was in love with the other person. So that's another one that's kind of painful for me.

Then there's the merely annoying songs, e.g. Katy Perry's Wide Awake, Faith Hill desecrating Another Piece Of My Heart, this one that goes "I just got back from/Something that's not about you/Is it too late to say/Everythign means nothing/If I can't have you". There's this one faux country song with some chick singing about how "You act like you own this place/but you don't/You act like such a star/But here's the funny part/Nobody knows who you are/This is my bar". Then there's another faux country song, some guy singing about how "I should've been a cowboy". Dude, if you were an actual cowboy, back in the 1870's or whatever, you'd have gotten your lily white ass kicked (and so would have Jon Bon Jovi!). Then there's one where the guy is singing to a woman, "Why are you always angry/Why are you always crying", and in the end of the chorus, he asks what he has to do for her to love him> Dude, why would you want to be a woman who's always angry? (then as I've heard at least two men note, "When have you ever met a woman who wasn't always angry?").

Oh and let's not forget "I'd burn this whole town down/to the ground/If it weren't for my mama's house". You're thinking the guy is angry about being mistreated by the town's citizens, maybe he got cheated by the local "Kingfish" or he's mad at the local sheriff about something. Nah, his girlfriend just left him, that's all. So he wants to destroy the whole town over some girl. Pathetic!

Every time I hear one of those songs, I feel like they oughta play some Blue Oyster Cult, or at least Chuck Berry to make up for it. I mean, who picks this dren?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I have heard Stairway To Heaven twice today, in two different pubs. And I have enjoyed every second of that song.
    Reminds me of the time I was watching a band at O’Neill’s playing “Sweet Home Alabama.” They then took a break, so I went around the corner to O’Leary’s to see who was playing there. It was someone playing “Sweet Home Alabama.”
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I don't think I will ever get sick of that one. I still enjoy it when I hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I don't think I will ever get sick of that one. I still enjoy it when I hear it.
    Since l stopped listening to the radio years ago l am now able to enjoy this song again when l run across it. I was even able to play Dark Side Of The Moon in the car recently and dig it for the masterpiece that it is.
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Since l stopped listening to the radio years ago l am now able to enjoy this song again when l run across it. I was even able to play Dark Side Of The Moon in the car recently and dig it for the masterpiece that it is.
    Good point. I never listen to Classic Rock radio so have had a break from a lot of these songs as well and find I enjoy a lot of them more today than I might have 20 years ago.

Squeezing the last juices out of the long weekend. Just heard......Nights In White Satin. I'm sick of it..... but I loved every second of it. It was prog, but we didn't know it.

And now I'm hearing Hey Jude. I'm actually sick of it.

The key to enjoying Stairway To Heaven, Boys Are Back In Town, Crazy Train, (Don't Fear) The Reaper, etc is really simple: STOP LISTENING TO COMMERCIAL RADIO!!!! When you're not hearing th esame songs every single day, they become much more enjoyable. I can't tell you when the last time I listened to Led Zeppelin IV, but everytime I hear one of those songs now, I enjoy them.

Just heard at the pub, a song I was sick of but I'm enjoying the hell out of it...... Aqualung. It's Tull's Smoke On The Water.