Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2024

Canterbury Binge: 2024

2024 has arrived. 2023 has left us. But Canterbury didn't, and never will.

Earlier tonight (well, technically last night) I had a New Year's Eve viewing of Gong's 2000 DVD High Above the Subterranea Club, and it was a devilishly good time had by all (me). It's an odd set peppered with songs from then-current Zero to Infinity, but then, I like that album. What a tiny stage! But terrific fun overall. Theo Travis, you beast!

I then went way back to the debut Magick Brother CD and gave that the ol' spinneroo, and that was also a delight. Tomorrow I shall listen to Daevid Allen's Banana Moon. This is my general mood as of late. I'm dismayed at the lack of snow this year, but I'm ready nonetheless to dive back in.

I have gulped down glasses of wine tonight the way a whale devours krill. But tomorrow's Canterbury selection(s) are already providing advance comfort, and I am without fear. I hope you've enjoyed the matter-of-fact sentences I've presented here.

Viva Canterbury!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Glad to see you had no lack of confidence in starting this year's binge! I'm starting my binge with Gong too, and just put on:

Gong - Flying Teapot (probably to be followed by Angel's Egg unless I listen to all the bonus tracks on Teapot and run out of steam.)

Ended 2023 with Soft Machine's Dutch Lessons but that was so yesterday. Inspired by this made in Canada thread I just spun Presents From Nancy by Supersister and will follow that up with The Highest Bidder. Thankyou! Oh and I still think it's crazy that Charlie Mariano played for Supersister I don't know why and also that Elton Dean was all set to replace Charlie before the band folded. Or something like that.
    Where's Calyx? I'm sure I read that in the liner notes of one of their later albums.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Here we go!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

After my grousing last night, I woke up this morning to a layer of snow on the ground and rooftops. It's a Canterbury New Year's miracle!

NP: Gilgamesh debut.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ Better you than me.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Better you than me.
    What?! Gilgamesh is a great album!

Oh, the snow. Yes, I do want snow in the winter! The green December was very, very wrong to me.

I'm in and have been looking forward.....!

Eating my New Years day roast to a soundtrack of Gong's Unending Ascending. We have lift off...
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Moving Gelatin Plates have been on my plate lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Eating my New Years day roast to a soundtrack of Gong's Unending Ascending. We have lift off...
    I quite like it. I wish I had a roast though, we had various Christmas snack leftovers for lunch.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Prompted by Aymeric's mention of Hoppertunity Box over in the Soft Machine thread, I just finished playing that one.

Followed the Gong with Two Rainbows Daily. That album creates a special mood.

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    (...) Inspired by this made in Canada thread I just spun Presents From Nancy by Supersister and will follow that up with The Highest Bidder. Thankyou! Oh and I still think it's crazy that Charlie Mariano played for Supersister I don't know why and also that Elton Dean was all set to replace Charlie before the band folded. Or something like that.
    Where's Calyx? I'm sure I read that in the liner notes of one of their later albums.
    As I wrote in another thread I watched a recent live-show of Supersister with orchestra on Dutch tv. Lead by Robert Jan Stips several older tracks from that band were played, but also from Retsisrepus and even The Nits, all in orchestral arrangements and with guest-bassist Rinus Gerritsen from Golden Earring-fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    2024 has arrived. 2023 has left us. But Canterbury didn't, and never will.

Earlier tonight (well, technically last night) I had a New Year's Eve viewing of Gong's 2000 DVD High Above the Subterranea Club, and it was a devilishly good time had by all (me). It's an odd set peppered with songs from then-current Zero to Infinity, but then, I like that album. What a tiny stage! But terrific fun overall. Theo Travis, you beast!

I then went way back to the debut Magick Brother CD and gave that the ol' spinneroo, and that was also a delight. Tomorrow I shall listen to Daevid Allen's Banana Moon. This is my general mood as of late. I'm dismayed at the lack of snow this year, but I'm ready nonetheless to dive back in.

I have gulped down glasses of wine tonight the way a whale devours krill. But tomorrow's Canterbury selection(s) are already providing advance comfort, and I am without fear. I hope you've enjoyed the matter-of-fact sentences I've presented here.

Viva Canterbury!
    Along with his former membership of Gong and the most recent Soft Machine, Theo Travis' connections with the Canterbury scene seem to run deep. I have seen him with his own jazz band a couple times and picked up some of his 'jazz' cds. Richard Sinclair guest on Earth to Ether from 2004, 'Heart Of the Sun' from about 2001 has some glissando guitar from Daevid Allen, John Etheridge is on Secret Island from 1996 and other names that crop up include Hugh Hopper, John Marshall and Jeff Clyne (view from the Edge 2003 deluxe edition) He also did a couple cds under the name of Cipher with Dave Sturt. Some chap called Fripp turns up as we'll need to keep him for another thread!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Along with his former membership of Gong and the most recent Soft Machine, Theo Travis' connections with the Canterbury scene seem to run deep. I have seen him with his own jazz band a couple times and picked up some of his 'jazz' cds. Richard Sinclair guest on Earth to Ether from 2004, 'Heart Of the Sun' from about 2001 has some glissando guitar from Daevid Allen, John Etheridge is on Secret Island from 1996 and other names that crop up include Hugh Hopper, John Marshall and Jeff Clyne (view from the Edge 2003 deluxe edition) He also did a couple cds under the name of Cipher with Dave Sturt. Some chap called Fripp turns up as we'll need to keep him for another thread!
    I have his Transgression album and it's very good indeed. He pops up quite a lot throughout my collection including plenty of names outside of Canterbury or jazz (although his long run with The Tangent has ties to that sound, as does the Zopp debut). He even turns up on an Anekdoten album!

It was lovely revisiting these:

Egg - Polite Force
    Hatfield - The Rotters' Club
    Gilgamesh - Another Fine Tune (I enjoyed this more than ever, pretty chill overall; grows on you like a bad fungus)

I have his Transgression album and it's very good indeed. He pops up quite a lot throughout my collection including plenty of names outside of Canterbury or jazz (although his long run with The Tangent has ties to that sound, as does the Zopp debut). He even turns up on an Anekdoten album!
    He Does? Which Anekdoten album? I guess one of the later ones...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He Does? Which Anekdoten album? I guess one of the later ones...
    He plays flute on a couple of tracks on Until AllThe Ghosts Are Gone. I only saw Theo live once playing with Steven Wilson but it was a treat.
    Listened to Quiet Sun's Mainstream yesterday.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Just received copies of Gilgamesh - Another Fine Tune and Gowen/Miller/Sinclair/Tompkins - Before A Word Is Said on LP in the post this past week and they have gotten me well into the chillout Canterbury vibe to start out the year.
    Also revisited Richard Sinclair's RSVP recently which I love.

Heard this one today for the first time ever. Canterbury-ish from the Emerald Isle. I'm digging it in a big way!

The only CD out there is on Paisley Press.

Heard this one today for the first time ever. Canterbury-ish from the Emerald Isle. I'm digging it in a big way!

The only CD out there is on Paisley Press.

oh yes was delighted to discover this a few years back. would have never guessed we had a Canterbury style group here in Ireland at the time! I heard a track on a compilation of 70s irish jazz fusion called Bunt​ú​s Rince https://allchival.bandcamp.com/album...n-folk-1969-81

National Health - s/t.

How great is this? So great.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Fantastic
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Caravan - Cunning Stunts
    National Health - s/t

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    National Health - s/t.

How great is this? So great.
    I've always just had the 2CD comp of the 3 LPs, so this is the first time I've ever just listened to a single National Health album as released!