Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2024

Yay. I can't wait. Already completed a minor league draft in a dynasty league. And I am waiting early-mid March for another draft like that one, and 3 redraft leagues.

A few notes:

* While the free agent "hot stove" has cooled, there are still some major signings expected over the next few weeks with Bellinger, Snell, and Montgomery still out there, some power bats like JD and Soler, and still a decent handful of 1-2 year veteran deals.

* I think the O's pulled off a coup to add Burnes to their rotation, even if it's only for 1 season guaranteed (unless they extend). Anything can happen, but there's little reason to believe they won't be contenders.

* Congratulations to Bobby Witt for his massive extension. He's one of the best young players in the game, but to say KC has a lot of work to do to build around him is an understatement.

* Speaking of long term extensions, it doesn't appear Wander Franco will be playing MLB baseball anytime soon, if ever. I would absolutely never, ever in a million years call Wander a victim for what he (allegedly) did, but the league needs to do more "mentoring" of these children (especially from other countries) who are essentially exploited at a very young age for their talents, given lots of promises, often a life-altering paycheck or signing (for them and their family), and shown the door when they don't work out. Obviously in the case of Franco, he did work out. But at 20 years old, how does a young man like that handle that kind of fame and fortune? Of course, he may just be a nasty person and had all the guidance and mentoring he needed. I don't know. But this won't be the last time something like this happens.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^^
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Baseball beginning soon

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

HERE WE GO!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Since my state is still a black hole as far as MLB is concerned, and the Cubs "superstation" Marquee doesn't talk to my preferred live channel provider (Hulu), it looks like another season of frustration for me.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

The eons are closing
    Check Fubo lineup in your area - I use them here in NYC as it's only live streamer with the NY teams I follow....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Streamers/apps/legacy media etc. is going to have to get their shit together sooner or later because it's very frustrating to be a fan of baseball who can't watch their favorite team's and/or local team's games.

I have had an MLB.TV subscription in the past, but can't watch the Nats or O's. And you can only watch the network (MASN) if you have a cable TV subscription. I don't have one. I have YouTubeTV, which doesn't have MASN. My story is similar to many others, just different teams. It's maddening.

Oh, and YTTV also didn't re-up their agreement with the MLB Network, which also can't be purchased or watched separately...OR available to those already paying for MLB.TV (which is insane imo) without a cable provider subscription.

And every year more and more TV deals get signed but the fans continue to play this shell game.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Streamers/apps/legacy media etc. is going to have to get their shit together sooner or later because it's very frustrating to be a fan of baseball who can't watch their favorite team's and/or local team's games.

I have had an MLB.TV subscription in the past, but can't watch the Nats or O's. And you can only watch the network (MASN) if you have a cable TV subscription. I don't have one. I have YouTubeTV, which doesn't have MASN. My story is similar to many others, just different teams. It's maddening.

Oh, and YTTV also didn't re-up their agreement with the MLB Network, which also can't be purchased or watched separately...OR available to those already paying for MLB.TV (which is insane imo) without a cable provider subscription.

And every year more and more TV deals get signed but the fans continue to play this shell game.
    It's the same with the NHL, if not worse. It's to the point where I no longer feel guilty about using "alternative sources" to view a game that I still can't watch on the multiple legitimate platforms I pay for because of an arcane agreement with some regional network that would require me to subscribe to yet another service and not only that but purchase that service's "upgraded" package.

It appears that I could get most of the Cubs games by subscribing directly to the Marquee app for $20/month. This option wasn't on the table last year, IIRC; you could only enroll through a selected "provider" of which Hulu was not one. I'll think about it, but I'm damn sure not going to bite until I get some assurance from the company that I will in fact be able to view the games they broadcast.

The fact that Iowa is blacked out by MLB for six teams, none of which are closer than 1-2 hours from an Iowa border, isn't just arcane, it's ludicrous and incredibly bad business.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

The eons are closing
    In NYC - Fubo has MSG and SNY but no YES Network; it does have Fox Sports and it's clone children, but not TBS/TNT

It's all effed up

We are lucky in Michigan that almost all Tigers, Red Wings & Pistons games are carried by Bally's Sports Detroit which I get with my cable package, but all 3 teams are occasionally doing streaming only games.

Check MLB.TV again, They just expanded the coverage and I think you have access to all games now. I just got an e-mail about it. I only subscribe to the audio.

The eons are closing
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...missioner-2029

So will he try to ram thru as many changes as possible in 5 years? Or will he leave things for a successor

Boy, the new uniforms are creating quite a stir. And rightly so. They look terrible. Players are flipping out over the see-through pants among other things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Boy, the new uniforms are creating quite a stir. And rightly so. They look terrible. Players are flipping out over the see-through pants among other things about them.
    I guess we will find out today at 3pm! The Ohtanis vs. The Friars.

Since we are going to Florida for Cruise To The Edge in a few weeks it is going to work out for us to hit a Tigers vs Braves Spring Training game in Northport. Just got tickets today. It’s possible we may hit a Tigers game in Lakeland too, but it depends on some outside factors.

The eons are closing
    ^^sweet Steve!

Just got a breakdown on a per ticket price basis for my 1/4 season tix (which includes MLBTV! subscription)

Two Tix for left field - field level (prime Alonso HR seats) for Natinals, Cubbies, PieRats - $26 per seat.

Same seats for Braves, Cheatstros, DBacks? - $69 per game.

O's are tearing up the fruit league.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Zack Wheeler and the Phillies have agreed to a three-year, $126 million contract extension.

That's nuts.

* Speaking of long term extensions, it doesn't appear Wander Franco will be playing MLB baseball anytime soon, if ever. I would absolutely never, ever in a million years call Wander a victim for what he (allegedly) did, but the league needs to do more "mentoring" of these children (especially from other countries) who are essentially exploited at a very young age for their talents, given lots of promises, often a life-altering paycheck or signing (for them and their family), and shown the door when they don't work out. Obviously in the case of Franco, he did work out. But at 20 years old, how does a young man like that handle that kind of fame and fortune? Of course, he may just be a nasty person and had all the guidance and mentoring he needed. I don't know. But this won't be the last time something like this happens.
    I want to buy some of what you're selling, and you do qualify (noting that Franco might just be a dick), but I don't think a support system would've prevented his actions. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Would club intervention have prevented Bauer's actions? Both men are adults, regardless of how much younger Franco is. I know you're not excusing or justifying Franco's actions, but it doesn't matter if he's twenty or forty. He did a dick thing because he's a dick and not because he's young.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^^^ Some people just think the rules don't apply to them.

Sound familiar?

Went to the Tigers vs Braves game in Northport Florida this afternoon at the Braves ballpark. I would say the place was about average for Grapefruit league parks. Nothing special, but not bad either. The Tigers got thumped unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^^ Some people just think the rules don't apply to them.

Sound familiar?
    Bauer is delusional enough to think that he'll being pitching in the Majors again.

He's probably right, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Went to the Tigers vs Braves game in Northport Florida this afternoon at the Braves ballpark. I would say the place was about average for Grapefruit league parks. Nothing special, but not bad either. The Tigers got thumped unfortunately.
    Go Braves!

Going to a Spring Training game is like going to a Minor League game: As long as it's sunny and beer-y and nice, there's not much more you can ask for.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

1997 my wife and I went to a Cactus League game with my dad and my uncle. We sat in the AZ sun, drank beer, watched the players goofing off and signing baseballs, the whole experience. Both the old men loved it. Cancer started for both of them that fall and they both died in 1998. That game is still one of my favorite baseball memories.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    When I lived in CT I used to love going to minor league games. The Bridgeport Bluefish stadium was walking distance from the Metro North station and I commuted to work on the train. If we decided we fancied a game we'd get off the train one stop early and drop in on a game. Sit in the sun, drink a couple of beers and chat & there happened to be a game going on. Excellent atmosphere.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.