Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    1997 my wife and I went to a Cactus League game with my dad and my uncle. We sat in the AZ sun, drank beer, watched the players goofing off and signing baseballs, the whole experience. Both the old men loved it. Cancer started for both of them that fall and they both died in 1998. That game is still one of my favorite baseball memories.
    Wow, that's quite a story, Jerol. Thanks for sharing it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Go Braves!

Going to a Spring Training game is like going to a Minor League game: As long as it's sunny and beer-y and nice, there's not much more you can ask for.
    Yup, it is always a great laid back experience.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    When I lived in CT I used to love going to minor league games. The Bridgeport Bluefish stadium was walking distance from the Metro North station and I commuted to work on the train. If we decided we fancied a game we'd get off the train one stop early and drop in on a game. Sit in the sun, drink a couple of beers and chat & there happened to be a game going on. Excellent atmosphere.
    Minor league baseball is great. We have a Northwoods League team in Kalamazoo and we always go to a few games every summer. We have friends who live in the Toledo area and sometimes meet them for Mud Hens games. Always a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Minor league baseball is great. We have a Northwoods League team in Kalamazoo and we always go to a few games every summer. We have friends who live in the Toledo area and sometimes meet them for Mud Hens games. Always a blast.
    There's a NWL team here in Waterloo as well, and I can ride my bike on paved trails right up to the gate from my house. The seating is "reserved", but the crowds are typically sparse enough that no one really pays attention and my buds and I camp out a few rows up between 3rd and home. And when I want to level up, the Cubs' AAA stadium in Des Moines is an easy 2-hour drive away. Fun times.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    There's a NWL team here in Waterloo as well, and I can ride my bike on paved trails right up to the gate from my house. The seating is "reserved", but the crowds are typically sparse enough that no one really pays attention and my buds and I camp out a few rows up between 3rd and home. And when I want to level up, the Cubs' AAA stadium in Des Moines is an easy 2-hour drive away. Fun times.
    Our NWL team draws pretty well, especially on weekends. I looked it up and we were #2 in attendance in the whole league for 2023.

Gerrit Cole shut down for 1-2 months.

For now.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Rhodes hit two, two run homers knocking in the same person each time in one game and Stowers hit three home runs knocking in all four runs in a tie game in the other Orioles game. I have no idea who these players are.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

If the Orioles can play at the same percentage in regular season as spring training they will win 129 games.

Uh-ohtani.

Can you imagine all the garment-rending and gnashing of teeth on southern Cal sports radio? ESPN is going to be running with this for weeks. Manfred the Wonder Boy must be shitting himself.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Looks like Ohtani is clean. But, yeah.

How about the debut of their new $325,000,000 pitcher? "I can fix it."

Watching Pirates@Marlins. Opening Day.

LET'S GO METS!
    mr-met-finger.jpg

The eons are closing
    LFGM!

Heading to the postponed Opening Day mañana and also again on Saturday!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

OPENING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's go Yankees!!!!!!!

So, how long until the new uniforms are replaced? Yankees have new road grays and the sweat shows like crazy? That cannot possibly be comfortable. I've read nothing but complaints about them.

The eons are closing
    Was at yesterday Mets opener - friggin windy and cold although sunny.

Heading back out to Citi Field again today+ hope the result is better

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, how long until the new uniforms are replaced? Yankees have new road grays and the sweat shows like crazy? That cannot possibly be comfortable. I've read nothing but complaints about them.
    What happened to the good old days when the only thing about uniforms was which team had the worst redesign? How do you screw up the actual materials? Obviously didn't bother getting player input. Somebody's getting fired.

OPENING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's go Yankees!!!!!!!
    2 down, 160 to go!

George Costanza is working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    George Costanza is working on it.

I would post the link but it's behind a paywall. Anyway, The Defector posted this guide for coping with opening day losses

Half the teams in Major League Baseball fulfilled their Opening Day brief, which means their fans can continue their dreamy dreams of this being "their year," however they define it. The other half, though, are forced today to recalibrate their world views downward as the first reality of baseball—that everyone eats it a lot—arrived at the first opportunity.

This, then, is for those 13 Opening Day losers, teams that now need to alter their inspirational slogans. (This does not include the four teams whose new mottos are "What Do You Mean I Have To Check My Umbrella?")

CHICAGO CUBS (4-3 loser in 10 innings at Texas)

"I Thought We Were Going To Do Something About Adbert Alzolay."

CHICAGO WHITE SOX (1-0 loser to Detroit)

"But They Were Three Loud Singles."

COLORADO ROCKIES (16-2 loser at Arizona)

"Here's Your Dynamic Pricing—You Pay For One Third Inning, But You Get Four."

HOUSTON ASTROS (5-4 loser to the Yankees)

“Oh You’re Probably Loving This, Aren’t You? You Think We Deserve This, Don’t You?”

KANSAS CITY ROYALS (4-1 loser to Minnesota)

“This One Was Closer Than It Looks, But It Was Also Duller.”

LOS ANGELES ANGELS (11-3 loser at Baltimore)

"We're Back On Mike Trout Because We Have To Be."

MIAMI MARLINS (6-5 loser to Pittsburgh in 12 innings)

"If You Squint Hard, Jake Burger Is Austin Riley."

OAKLAND ATHLETICS (8-0 loser to Cleveland)

"Come For The Parking Lot, Miss Nothing."

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS (7-1 loser at Los Angeles)

"Focus On The Jersey Front . . . Look At The Pretty Birds."

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS (6-4 loser at San Diego)

"Only 72 More Losses Until 49ers Opening Day."

SEATTLE MARINERS (6-4 loser to Boston)

"A Decade Of Jerry Dipoto? Seems Like A Century."

TAMPA BAY RAYS (8-2 loser to Toronto)

"$88 Million Comes With Higher Expectations."

WASHINGTON NATIONALS (8-2 loser at Cincinnati)

“Honestly Our Expectations Were Not Much Higher Than This.”
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Was at yesterday Mets opener - friggin windy and cold although sunny.

Heading back out to Citi Field again today+ hope the result is better
    Better weather, not a better result....

O's have scored 24 runs in first two games.