Thread: Alex Lifeson on the most underrated guitarist of all time: “He has such an amazing ab

Alex Lifeson on the most underrated guitarist of all time: “He has such an amazing ab

Ok, before I post the link, I'm curious who you think he might be talking aboot. I was thinking one of his influences before Rush hit the big time. I was surprised and also not surprised by who he's talking aboot. Dudes totally awesome but like I said, I was thinking of earlier guitarists.

Take a guess, then read the article. This could be a bit o fun. I'll give a little hint. I didn't know of the guy until I saw him open for Rush on the Power Windows tour and was blown away.

Just like the first time I saw Rush on the G/P tour with Gary Moore, that dude also blew me away. Shapes Of Things live by Gary is one of my favorite solos of all time. He pulls out all the tricks.

First one to guess right wins the internet for the day.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/alex-li...t-of-all-time/
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I never really thought of that guitarist as underrated to be honest but I suppose people who only know what's played on the radio never heard of him.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My guess before looking at the link is Michael Schenker. I really have no idea except I think Michael Schenker Group may have opened for Rush when I saw them on the Power Windows tour.

Ok, I don’t think of that guitarist as underrated either. But I guess Alex knows.

BTW, I’m listening to the new Marco Minneman album - Lifeson guests on the opening track!

The eons are closing
    I would not have gone in that direction; more in line with Jed's idea....

There is a difference between lesser known and underrated.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I always felt that Rick Derringer was the most underrated guitarist. He can play any style as well as anyone.

Now, I'll have to read what Alex thinks.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I always felt that Rick Derringer was the most underrated guitarist. He can play any style as well as anyone.
    So true. He's an AMAZING player!

What turned me on to Gary Moore back in the day was Ian Paice drumming for him. On Paicey's road from Whitesnake back to Deep Purple.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I would not have made this guess- but I also do not think the person Lifeson chose is underrated.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I would not have made this guess- but I also do not think the person Lifeson chose is underrated.
    Among quirky nerds like us and the musical community, he's not but the average Joe has no clue who he is, so I would say underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    What turned me on to Gary Moore back in the day was Ian Paice drumming for him. On Paicey's road from Whitesnake back to Deep Purple.
    My road to the Deep Purple family tree started with both of these groups. I actually started the trip with Rainbow then found out about DP and the rest is history.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    If the guitar community at large, including modern practitioners, know, are fans of and / or are influenced by said guitarist, I argue that it's more unknown to the masses than underrated.

Ron's example is better imo - a known name but not necessarily for the guitar playing - so perhaps underrated
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

If memory serves, he opened for Rush on the Power Windows or Grace Under Pressure tour. They were doing their best to get him exposure to their audience.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Ok, before I post the link, I'm curious who you think he might be talking aboot. I was thinking one of his influences before Rush hit the big time. I was surprised and also not surprised by who he's talking aboot. Dudes totally awesome but like I said, I was thinking of earlier guitarists.

Take a guess, then read the article. This could be a bit o fun. I'll give a little hint. I didn't know of the guy until I saw him open for Rush on the Power Windows tour and was blown away.

Just like the first time I saw Rush on the G/P tour with Gary Moore, that dude also blew me away. Shapes Of Things live by Gary is one of my favorite solos of all time. He pulls out all the tricks.

First one to guess right wins the internet for the day.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/alex-li...t-of-all-time/
    I fully agree with Lerxst.

The guitarist in question blew me away when I got his band’s first record. I saw them at The U of Arizona. Phenomenal gig. off the charts. Still have a cassette somewhere of the gig since it was simulcast.

Fast forward to a “Three Guitarists” gig in NYC at the Beacon theater. Said guitarist was the warm up act for those three insanely good guitarists. For their encore they brought him out to play with THEM! All four of the guys were in hog heaven. It was one of the most sublime concerts I have ever witnessed.

Oh, better still. It was a cold night before the gig. They nicely opened the doors to the entryway so some of us could get out of the cold. And yes, our warm up act simply hung out with us for a while and entertained our questions!

And he is a pilot!!! Some people have far too many talents!!!

My knee jerk answer is Holdsworth. I'm probably wrong. I'll go see.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    My knee jerk answer is Holdsworth. I'm probably wrong. I'll go see.
    Would have been a better choice. Alex's choice is very talented, but most underrated?