Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Flower Kings - 2023 recap and look ahead to 2024

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I guess we'll never see another RITUAL album again

I did discover An Endless Sporadic recently so I guess my enjoyment of Zach Kamins' songwriting is satisfied for a bit. I'm glad it's got those piano based tracks - very tuneful stuff.
    Last edited by Splicer; 01-27-2024 at 02:04 PM.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Yesola View Post
    any chance of them coming to the US for shows? And if I can ask , why did Jonas leave? All the Steve Hacket work?
    They will be on Cruise To The Edge sailing out of Miami in March, but looks like no U.S. shows unfortunately.

Just here to say that the production and mixing on the original 1999 release of Flower Power is superb. Probably the best of the entire catalog. "Garden of Dreams" has just an amazing sound to it. The way even the most chaotic moments in the music have these layers upon layers put together in a way that offers something else to listen to each time you hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Just here to say that the production and mixing on the original 1999 release of Flower Power is superb. Probably the best of the entire catalog. "Garden of Dreams" has just an amazing sound to it. The way even the most chaotic moments in the music have these layers upon layers put together in a way that offers something else to listen to each time you hear it.
    Fair enough. The mastering however is a different story.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

They're opinions about something subjective so the same as everyone else's.
    Of course. I was just kidding around, but I guess that doesn't convey sometimes.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Of course. I was just kidding around, but I guess that doesn't convey sometimes.
    I had to go back and see what that was about because I don't remember what I write having already gone on to 500 other things. However, I probably took it too seriously so these things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Fair enough. The mastering however is a different story.
    Do you mean the original release or the recent remaster? Because the latter is an abomination.

Do you mean the original release or the recent remaster? Because the latter is an abomination.
    The original 1999 version of Flower Power has horribly compressed mastering. A real shame.

I think the remix/remaster of Flower Power is awesome. I found some parts far more listenable than the original.
    <sig out of order>

I think the remix/remaster of Flower Power is awesome. I found some parts far more listenable than the original.
    Except for the pops and crackles.

In all honesty, the main issue I have with the remasters is perfectly encapsulated with "The Truth Will Set You Free" from Unfold The Future. In every instance of a change, it's like Roine sat there and said, "Needs more Roine," and brought himself to the front, burying keys, bass and drums which were more upfront in the original. I'm also not sure if he used alternate takes or if he dubbed over new parts because there are things there that I don't even hear in the original.

Except for the pops and crackles.
    I thought that was Stardust?
    <sig out of order>

Perhaps you're right and I got them mixed up in my head. "Garden of Dreams" has some changes (like a guitar part in "Mr Hope Goes to Wall Street") but nothing as egregious as "The Truth Will Set You Free".

It was Stardust. I've listened to Flower Power and it didn't suffer the same technical problems, thankfully.

So I'm listening to Islands right now and there is a good one hour album in here if you take some of the songs and rearrange them to flow better. If I had the time, I'd give it some thought. Then again, if I had thoughts I'd probably have something more cogent to add to this thread.

Jonas Reingold shared this news on Facebook:

"KARMAKANIC NEWS!!!
    The new album of Karmakanic is currently in progress. I have just completed the composition phase, resulting in 12 songs and approximately 85 minutes of ready to go music. And yes, there’s an Epic in there the 23 min long track with the working title “Transmutation” (The constant change of everything) The next step involves condensing it down to around 60 minutes, and no, it will not be a double album. I am prioritizing quality and embracing the ”less is more” approach.

Now comes the challenging task of trimming down 85 to 60 minutes. To make this process less solitary, I’ve assembled a small team to assist me in selecting what resonates with them because I kind of find myself fond of every part of it. Drum recording is scheduled to commence in the upcoming months, allowing the beast to unfold.

Before delving into the recording process, I have to wrap up a 2-month tour with the Steve Hackett Band in the US. And I really looking forward to that and fortunately , I can work on the album during off days, ensuring progress continues. I aim to have everything recorded and mixed later this year."
    <sig out of order>

yesterday Tomas Bodin released his new album on Bandcamp - Ambient Cooking

https://tomasbodin.bandcamp.com/albu...king-the-album

The next step involves condensing it down to around 60 minutes, and no, it will not be a double album. I am prioritizing quality and embracing the ”less is more” approach.

Now comes the challenging task of trimming down 85 to 60 minutes.
    IMHO 60 minutes is still way too much. Why not about 40 like almost all of the timeless classic prog single albums? :P
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    yesterday Tomas Bodin released his new album on Bandcamp - Ambient Cooking

https://tomasbodin.bandcamp.com/albu...king-the-album
    Sounds like TV soundtracks for a mystery show.

Dot was 50 minutes. I love it but it felt a little short to me. Maybe 60 minutes is a good compromise. :-)

Listening to it now on a Prog Sunday and I quite honestly think that Transatlantic's The Absolute Universe is overall better than all but a few songs here or there on the last bunch of TFK albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    IMHO 60 minutes is still way too much. Why not about 40 like almost all of the timeless classic prog single albums? :P
    In general I agree that shorter albums work better for me these days, but I will wait to hear how this album comes out. If the material is strong I'm fine with it.
    <sig out of order>

A new live album coming out on May 17th. "Live In Europe 2023".
    <sig out of order>

Really nice artwork too!

I think this will only be available at Roine's site here - it's an independent release on his own label (not on Inside Out) so get it while you can!

FB_IMG_1713985349161.jpg

FB_IMG_1713985354106.jpg