Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can - Live in Paris 1973 coming Feb 23

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    A quick search on the internet suggests “Can Live in Keele 1977” will be released on August 16. I cannot find any track information, or more pertinently track lengths as no doubt they will be listed in the usual way as Eins, Zwei etc.

I am feeling a bit more enthused about this latest offering in the “live” series than I was about six months ago. The “Live in Aston” album of a few weeks ago was far better than I expected. It is not the sonic assault of the earlier five releases, excellent though they were. But the quieter mood on “Live in Aston”, along with Rosko Gee’s steadier bass patterns, gives greater room for Schmidt’s keyboards and more reflective guitar from Karoli. Liebezeit is admittedly under-utilised and Czukay’s shortwave radio offerings are too buried in the background to be of much use (although it was good to hear snatches of his samples from the solo track “Persian Love”). But overall I enjoyed Aston and it has led me to revisit the later studio material the band put out – “Saw Delight” and “Flow Motion” – which I had previously disregarded. Keele was recorded two days before the Aston concert so expect much of the same here.
    I caved the other day and bought all the CDs in one shot. Digital was ok but these deserve to be fondled. LOL
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

A quick search on the internet suggests “Can Live in Keele 1977” will be released on August 16. I cannot find any track information, or more pertinently track lengths as no doubt they will be listed in the usual way as Eins, Zwei etc.
    Apparently Irmin Schmidt has said this will be the final archival release.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

I am feeling a bit more enthused about this latest offering in the “live” series than I was about six months ago. The “Live in Aston” album of a few weeks ago was far better than I expected. It is not the sonic assault of the earlier five releases, excellent though they were. But the quieter mood on “Live in Aston”, along with Rosko Gee’s steadier bass patterns, gives greater room for Schmidt’s keyboards and more reflective guitar from Karoli. Liebezeit is admittedly under-utilised and Czukay’s shortwave radio offerings are too buried in the background to be of much use (although it was good to hear snatches of his samples from the solo track “Persian Love”). But overall I enjoyed Aston and it has led me to revisit the later studio material the band put out – “Saw Delight” and “Flow Motion” – which I had previously disregarded. Keele was recorded two days before the Aston concert so expect much of the same here.
    I like Aston, but you nailed exactly why I peg it the lowest of the sets released thus far...Jaki. I suppose I also prefer Czukay on bass as well. But it's not bad. Just a kind of middling.

But thanks for the heads up regarding the new one!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Well that is a tremendous disappointment.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Irmin Schmidt suggested in an Uncut interview earlier this year that Keele would be the last release in the live series. However, there is this on a recent Hoffman thread: “According to Alan Freeman (of 'The Crack in the Cosmic Egg' fame) in a Facebook group, Irmin will no longer be curating the series due to health problems, but the series will continue...”

Sad news about Irmin but better news about the archive releases, for which there is clearly demand.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease (P. Blegvad)

Irmin Schmidt suggested in an Uncut interview earlier this year that Keele would be the last release in the live series. However, there is this on a recent Hoffman thread: “According to Alan Freeman (of 'The Crack in the Cosmic Egg' fame) in a Facebook group, Irmin will no longer be curating the series due to health problems, but the series will continue...”

Sad news about Irmin but better news about the archive releases, for which there is clearly demand.
    Glad to hear that the series will continue! I have been digging all of the live releases so far. I was really surprised with how good the quality was for Aston 1977. Hopefully, they have some more well recorded shows in the archive!
    Limited Edition Krautrock Concert Poster Reprints - Reiffenvatter Repress
    At the same size & using the same methods as the original prints!

I was just listening to Stuttgart '75 yesterday and marveling about how good it sounds, for what is supposedly an AUD. Paris also, though I think that one may be a broadcast.

I have an old ROIO of Keele that I picked up on Dime many years ago. It's about a B+ AUD but a really fine performance. Looking forward to the official release.

is Keele the "Fizz" bootleg that was broadcast on the radio? I've heard it might be, if so that show is really great, though I assume all the shows around that time were pretty similar.

still unsure whether or not to pick up the Aston LP - if Keele makes it superfluous what's the point? I mean other than trying to get as many Can live records as possible
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    still unsure whether or not to pick up the Aston LP - if Keele makes it superfluous what's the point? I mean other than trying to get as many Can live records as possible
    Gotta catch 'em all!

Limited Edition Krautrock Concert Poster Reprints - Reiffenvatter Repress
    At the same size & using the same methods as the original prints!

is Keele the "Fizz" bootleg that was broadcast on the radio? I've heard it might be, if so that show is really great, though I assume all the shows around that time were pretty similar.
    My Keele ROIO doesn't reference any bootleg releases in the lineage, but it might use the same source. Does your boot sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrhTnw8TYpg

If yes, it's Keele...

None of these mid/late 70s shows are the same the way Genesis or Yes shows from the same tour are the same. Some nights Can stretch out a theme for 20 minutes, the next night it may be 5. But the general vibe may be similar enough that you don't need 'em all. I do.

Quote Originally Posted by kreiff View Post
    Gotta catch 'em all!

I guess this is a good point
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Mute has finally announced November 22 as the release date for Live at Keele, coming out as a single CD and double vinyl. Liner notes this time are by journalist, broadcaster and author Jennifer Lucy Allan, who provides "meticulous research of the time, place and context of the performance". The liner notes on previous releases in the series have drawn fire for being largely irrelevant. Ms Allan's notes should also be interesting, as they include this comment: “The heads know – forums and published books alike agree – that ‘76-’77 is the best of the Can live years (Keele included). A couple of the tracks from this show have been included on fan-made 'best of' live bootlegs over the years. And wow, are they right.”

I'm not so sure about the unanimous agreement there. From what I've read, on this forum and elsewhere, "the best of the Can live years" were almost universally considered 1970-1973, when Damo Suzuki was about.
    Last edited by Munster; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:40 AM.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease (P. Blegvad)

Mute has finally announced November 22 as the release date for Live at Keele, coming out as a single CD and double vinyl. Liner notes this time are by journalist, broadcaster and author Jennifer Lucy Allan, who provides "meticulous research of the time, place and context of the performance". The liner notes on previous releases in the series have drawn fire for being largely irrelevant. Ms Allan's notes should also be interesting, as they include this comment: “The heads know – forums and published books alike agree – that ‘76-’77 is the best of the Can live years (Keele included). A couple of the tracks from this show have been included on fan-made 'best of' live bootlegs over the years. And wow, are they right.”

I'm not so sure about the unanimous agreement there. From what I've read, on this forum and elsewhere, "the best of the Can live years" were almost universally considered 1970-1973, when Damo Suzuki was about.
    This Paris one is just flat out better all around for me. I was surprised at how good the Aston 77 one was though.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton