Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Least favorite musical instrument

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    The harmonica is really the only instrument that I'm not a huge fan of timbre wise, but its not really an automatic dealbreaker.
    I'm not big on harmonica but Howard Levy was quite expressive on it at some jazz gigs I saw in Chicago a while back.

I'll second the vote for didgeridoo

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I thought the fact that it was by the Beach Boys ruined it, but that's just me.
    That's actually not just you, but our little club has to be careful. I've been accused of 'not understanding music' before based on this opinion.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I'll second the vote for didgeridoo

Last edited by Trane; 01-25-2024 at 04:00 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

didgeridoo?

didgeridon't!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Just electronic percussion. Although come to think of it (but I'm not sure they count) Vocorders too.

Early digital keyboards, like the Yamaha DX7. Using six pure sine waves to modulate each other, in order to create "pianos" and everything else. When Roland introduced LA (Linear Algorithm) Synthesis in the mid 80s, every other TV theme song was reworked to include that breathy keyboard sound.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Kazoo
    Hey now ... it's the perfect instrument for a drummer like me to come up with 'guide' music for the guitars/keys in the band
    "No no, the timing should be more like this ...."

In high school, I drove a delivery van for a local company; during some hour long drives, I'd play myself "Darkness/Earth in Search of a Sun" from Jan Hammer's "First Seven Days" on my kazoo
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Regarding the "jaw harp" (which is of course a euphemism), I know of exactly one song where I like it -- the Who's "Join Together."

Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ What? No love for "Turkey in the Straw?!

I'm just now watching Steve Hackett's most-recent live Blu-Ray, SEBTP & Spectral Mornings Live at Hammersmith, and during I Know What I Like, the woodwinds dude takes a long sax solo, center stage with a spotlight. It seems totally out of place, as the only (or surely at least nearly?) sax solo on a Genesis album, and was hideous. No matter how good the guy was, it wasn't even going to register with me. I do like good sax solos when they're used in numbers where they feel right. I know "Wardrobe" lends itself to noodling, but this sax solo was truly uncalled for. Sometimes sax can be as bad as an accordion!

I have 2 kazoos, a banjo and a recorder. My dad didn't like harpsichord solo.

I like all instruments when played well but....

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    An Auto-Tuned human voice.
    .......is enough to make a piece of music unlistenable.

Regarding the "jaw harp" (which is of course a euphemism), I know of exactly one song where I like it -- the Who's "Join Together."
    I bet you also liked it when Canned Heat used it. For songs like Jaw Harp Raga?

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Bagpipes - the sound of cats fighting in a bag writ large. Dear god, just no.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Bagpipes - the sound of cats fighting in a bag writ large. Dear god, just no.

but yeah, a kilt-wearing bagpiper on every streetcorner of Edinburg does get tiring quickly
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    , a kilt-wearing bagpiper on every streetcorner of Edinburg does get tiring quickly
    It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't Scotland the Brave 95% of the time.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Few things are as heartwarming as seeing children sing their hearts out, but I'm not crazy about it on recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Few things are as heartwarming as seeing children sing their hearts out, but I'm not crazy about it on recordings.
    Yeah, a definite no-go for me. For example, those children's albums that Tusmorke made are completely unlistenable to me. There's something about the timbre of a chorus of children singing that just grates against me and causes me to hit 'Stop' immediately.

...and, to prove that anything can be good when used cleverly, here's Alice using auto-tune to produce a really eerie effect...

(Incidentally, very tasty solo by Steve Hunter...)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Early digital keyboards, like the Yamaha DX7. Using six pure sine waves to modulate each other, in order to create "pianos" and everything else. When Roland introduced LA (Linear Algorithm) Synthesis in the mid 80s, every other TV theme song was reworked to include that breathy keyboard sound.
    For sure I had at least 3 DX type synths. So hard to get them to sound great.

Re auto tune on the Alice track. I like it when it's used to provide the robotic vibe . If it fits it fits.

Re Highland Bagpipes. Groan. Only on laments, paebroach type trad numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

Might be my favorite Who song ever.

Edit: Forgot there was s big, bass harmonica in the song.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 01-26-2024 at 04:35 PM.

That God-awful keyboard sound that Lyle Mays was overly fond of, that sounded like a pan flute.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    ...so you can't listen to anything produced by Bob Ezrin.

Put me down for hating 80's keyboards. Gauwd, the days when everyone dumped their Moogs & Mellotrons and Hammonds, for weak digital cheese.