Thread: Bob Drake "The Room in the Tower" (2023)

Bob Drake "The Room in the Tower" (2023)

I've needed a few spins with this, and it doesn't disappoint...not even close. Actually it's flippin' fantastic! I love all BD albums, so call me biased, but this is one that I think a ton/kilo of BD newbies might dig, maybe along with Bob's Drive-In. There is an "accessibility" factor at times with this album that is not always there - the needle pointing to the slightly more "accessible" side on the meter. That's not to say it doesn't have completely 'wacked-out Bob moments', because it sure does, but there are some sing-along moments, some slightly more conventional chords (which sometimes fizzle out or have a very strange dissonant line following it), and just flat-out grooves.

Americana, Appalachian, European folk, crazy prog, GORGEOUS acoustic (and electric) guitar playing (possibly one of my fav recordings of Bob playing just pure acoustic guitar and banjo), wild studio treatments along with using the studio as another instrument, etc etc. So much here. With headphones, I can hear the reverb of the acoustic instruments and depending on Bob's mood, it sometimes shines more or less, and even swirls around my head. This must be heard on headphones imo. I would love to do an in-depth track description sometime, that would be fun. Please don't miss this folks, Bob's solo albums are legendary at this point, and he never runs out of crazy and beautiful ideas. Cheerio Bob and thanks
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

There's a great balance of the weird and the approachable on this album and it's a highlight in the catalogue for sure! Very pleased with it
    I believe he delved into the details of the songs on a listening party live stream the day it was first released. I missed the part where he explored the multitracks unfortunately due to some other commitments but would love to have seen that!

One more point (and I'm terrible at editing on my phone) which is: there is a nice warmth to Bob's recordings, especially this new one. Nothing is turned up blaring in any frequency range, but there really are a ton of dynamics, you just have to crank it a bit, which is where you want to be. Fantastic modern recording that doesn't sound like modern shitty, commercial sound.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    There's a great balance of the weird and the approachable on this album and it's a highlight in the catalogue for sure! Very pleased with it
    I believe he delved into the details of the songs on a listening party live stream the day it was first released. I missed the part where he explored the multitracks unfortunately due to some other commitments but would love to have seen that!
    I should go back and watch that - I'm sure he'll chime in here (possibly) with a link . Glad you dig this album too, this will get a lot of playback from me. I was playing Bob's Drive-In a while back pretty heavily and it just got better and better! That is quite a fabulous album too.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I should go back and watch that - I'm sure he'll chime in here (possibly) with a link . Glad you dig this album too, this will get a lot of playback from me. I was playing Bob's Drive-In a while back pretty heavily and it just got better and better! That is quite a fabulous album too.
    Unfortunately it was not archived

I love the first tune. That guitar sound is fantastic! And the the vocals too.

BTW did you know Bob Drake is a furry? :P I was quite surprised when I found out about that. xD I've been exploring this stuff recently and I gotta admit that some of the artwork people make is really impressive:

(this is not directly related to Bob Drake, but it's insanely cool)

(also this piece by Carpetwurm blows my mind on how kickass it is)
    Last edited by Czyszy; 02-12-2024 at 11:30 PM.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    BTW did you know Bob Drake is a furry?
    I figured that has been manifestly obvious to even the most casual observer for many decades now!
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    Unfortunately it was not archived
    I did record that segment of the livestream, but watching it later realized a lot of what I was saying made no sense unless one were to also see the chat window, as I was often replying to or reacting to the comments and questions there. It didn't occur to me to also record the chat window, which I will the next time I do a thing like that.

And since you DID specifically ask me to record that segment, I considered doing it again for you, but just on my own, so I won't be mysteriously jumping from topic to topic!

xx
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 02-13-2024 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hey Frank and James: I still have the multitracks and would do it again for you guys (and anyone else interested) if you can come up with a time/day when you can both be there. It will be even better because by now you will have heard the album a few times, so looking at the details could be even more fun. Frank - if you haven't got one already you'd have to make a twitch account to join the chat, but that's simple.

So come up with a date/hour! You can email me or tell me here.

xx

I wondered if the title song was based on the E.F. Benson story of the same name, one of his best supernatural tales. Having now listened, it isn't. Still a great song, though!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I wondered if the title song was based on the E.F. Benson story of the same name, one of his best supernatural tales. Having now listened, it isn't. Still a great song, though!
    Thanks, and good question! The song and the story's only similarity is the title. I had indeed been reading much Benson around that time, and the room in which I was photographed for the album cover is in an old chateau, with some quite mysterious rooms, cellars and towers. It's just next to my place, and I wrote many of the albums' songs in the chateau garden.

I think one of my favourite Benson tales is "How Fear Left the Long Gallery".

xx
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    Thanks, and good question! The song and the story's only similarity is the title. I had indeed been reading much Benson around that time, and the room in which I was photographed for the album cover is in an old chateau, with some quite mysterious rooms, cellars and towers. It's just next to my place, and I wrote many of the albums' songs in the chateau garden.

I think one of my favourite Benson tales is "How Fear Left the Long Gallery".

xxto
    BD
    The chateau looks and sounds like a great place for ambience / inspiration / orgone accumulation / whatever...

How Fear Left the Long Gallery is a good one. It always seems to be Negotium Perambulans that gets anthologised, but he had better things IMO.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Shoot! I forgot about this album. I figured some CDs would’ve washed ashore for distribution by now.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    I figured that has been manifestly obvious to even the most casual observer for many decades now!
    xx
    Ya think? Mr. Drummer Bear Man
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

The stupendous Bob Drake will be performing at 1:00 PM EST today at https://www.twitch.tv/bob_drake

I'll be there, I'll be there...I will be there.