Thread: Yes to release Yale Bowl recording for Record Store Day

Yes to release Yale Bowl recording for Record Store Day

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/17374

One record, four songs Tracks recently released on CD/digitally as part of Yes Album Super Deluxe Edition.

I do enjoy this recording and will hope to find a copy. It was released recently in the U.K. as an orange vinyl limited edition, but I doubt it had anything to do with the band. Then again does this one? Didn’t they sell their catalogue a while back?

I've seen that on sale on CD in HMV or Fopp.

Noticed quite a lot of live releases from various artists, must be legit to some extent. Quite a few prominently labelled 'Made in Germany' or something like that.

I’m not sure on the legality, probably these old US radio broadcasts inhabit some grey area. They are like better quality boots to me, and I never worried myself about legality when finding these rare treasures back in the day. I bought the vinyl in Fopp, and it’s a decent issue. I have seen a Soft Machine album the same label (London Calling) but the reviews of the sound quality have consistently put me off acquiring, however it does not look like a cheap release, it has pretty nice artwork etc.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Did Rhino have a tape source for their release or did they download one of the same FLAC versions we can access and try to do some work on it? All of the FLACs I’ve seen for this show are CD resolution so if that is their source then we are, literally, talking about the vinyl just being a CD dumped onto vinyl.

Also, I wouldn’t say that their release is a big upgrade over what was all ready available. In some ways it, arguably, sounds worse.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

With regards to the legitimacy of the release, this is the only official stand-alone release of this recording so far. It's coming out on Rhino who own all of Yes's Atlantic catalog whereas the previous releases have all been on grey-zone labels and were just straight re-presses of the free bootlegs.

But in terms of sonics, the existing semi-official releases were arguably similar in quality, as the free bootlegs they would have come from already came from a master quality source. In terms of what sounds better, hearing is subjective, but some people prefer TheTooleMan's remaster than what was officially released on the Yes Album box (I'm among them).

Presumably, the source for the RSD vinyl will be identical to what's featured on the Yes Album Super Deluxe.
    Last edited by kilianltia; 02-18-2024 at 04:18 PM.

Personally, I'm glad to see Rhino take an interest in releasing archive material of Yes and hopefully, further down the line, this will lead to more interesting releases which haven't circulated as widely as before. I'm considering buying this purely for tactical reasons, because I assume Rhino's interest in further releases will depend on how well these do.

Given that it’s a limited edition RSD release, it will sell out in any case. I would like a copy as I did not get the latest The Yes Album set. I also hope they will turn their attention to other more esoteric releases. They need to strike while the market is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I do enjoy this recording and will hope to find a copy. It was released recently in the U.K. as an orange vinyl limited edition, but I doubt it had anything to do with the band. Then again does this one? Didn’t they sell their catalogue a while back?
    Warner (having inherited the Atlantic catalogue) owned everything Yes did while signed to Atlantic. That's been true for decades. However, Warner, while controlling the material and what was released, had to pay royalties. Recently, Yes sold their future royalties to Warner.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Given that it’s a limited edition RSD release, it will sell out in any case. I would like a copy as I did not get the latest The Yes Album set. I also hope they will turn their attention to other more esoteric releases. They need to strike while the market is still there.
    At 4500 copies, it's quite a big run for a limited edition, which suggests confidence in the market.

I have absolutely zero interest in such nonsense. I have no desire to encourage Rhino to persist with a release schedule that consists of re-releasing existing material on limited edition vinyl as a way of squeezing more money out of fans. Release archival material we haven't heard before!
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I have seen a Soft Machine album the same label (London Calling) but the reviews of the sound quality have consistently put me off acquiring, however it does not look like a cheap release, it has pretty nice artwork etc.
    If you are referring to the album 'Paris 1970' then the artwork is the best thing about London Calling's release. The same concert in better sound can be found on Facelift, released by Cuneiform. The Cuneiform release also has a DVD of the Paris concert and bonus tracks from an Amsterdam concert recorded a few weeks earlier. It may be more expensive but is far better value. (Sorry to digress from the Yes theme.)
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by kilianltia View Post
    Personally, I'm glad to see Rhino take an interest in releasing archive material of Yes and hopefully, further down the line, this will lead to more interesting releases which haven't circulated as widely as before. I'm considering buying this purely for tactical reasons, because I assume Rhino's interest in further releases will depend on how well these do.
    But if Rhino’s “vault” is just downloading recordings from Forgotten Yesterdays and doing some light work on them, then what is really the point? How is that actually better than the grey area type releases? It seems like Progeny sold pretty well and actual hard work and tape research went into that release, which I wouldn’t say is the case with the super deluxe The Yes Album, especially when they claim that recordings that came out on The Word Is Live are unreleased and the booklet has pics from the Relayer tour in it. I’d love to buy more along the lines of Progeny, but I’m much less interested in Rhino sanctioned releases of bootleg recordings that I ready have. Yesshows contains recordings from, I think, six different concerts. That would be one heck of a potential box if those tapes exist. Also, there has still never been a full length live album from YesWest.
    Last edited by Frumious B; 02-24-2024 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    At 4500 copies, it's quite a big run for a limited edition, which suggests confidence in the market.

I have absolutely zero interest in such nonsense. I have no desire to encourage Rhino to persist with a release schedule that consists of re-releasing existing material on limited edition vinyl as a way of squeezing more money out of fans. Release archival material we haven't heard before!
    And the stupidest part IMHO is that their source for New Haven 1971 likely isn’t an analog one or even a high resolution digital one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    But if Rhino’s “vault” is just downloading recordings from Forgotten Yesterdays and doing some light work on them, then what is really the point? How is that actually better than the grey area type releases? It seems like Progeny sold pretty well and actual hard work and tape research went into that release, which I wouldn’t say is the case with the super deluxe The Yes Album, especially when they claim that recordings that came out on The Word Is Live are unreleased and the booklet has pics from the Relayer tour in it. I’d love to buy more along the lines of Progeny, but I’m much less interested in Rhino sanctioned releases of bootleg recordings that I ready have. Yesshows contains recordings from, I think, six different concerts. That would be one heck of a potential box if those tapes exist. Also, there has still never been a full length live album from YesWest.
    I agree with you in principle. The only reason I have hope for future Rhino releases is that, unlike Gonzo, they have access to the official archives that do exist and I'm holding out hope that in time they may eventually release some of the 1976-79 shows you mention or the Academy Of Music 1972 tapes with Bruford if they can be found. While the Yes Album Super Deluxe didn't have anything new in terms of live recordings and seemed poorly researched on the visual front, it did still feature unreleased studio tracks so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

So, not official, but I found out about this earlier today. Somebody recreated Yessongs using a combination of Progeny and the Japanese SHMCD remaster for the Bruford tracks. It sounds pretty snazzy.

Last edited by Frumious B; 02-24-2024 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Did Rhino have a tape source for their release or did they download one of the same FLAC versions we can access and try to do some work on it? All of the FLACs I’ve seen for this show are CD resolution so if that is their source then we are, literally, talking about the vinyl just being a CD dumped onto vinyl.

Also, I wouldn’t say that their release is a big upgrade over what was all ready available. In some ways it, arguably, sounds worse.
    That's something I'd be interested in knowing myself. It's my tape.
    I loaned it to an old friend under the strict condition that there were to be no copies, just for his enjoyment, a few years later I see it on a file sharing site, then (as now) it's everywhere.
    I never did get my original tape back, it's a 5" reel of Sony tape. Now Warner Bros has something that sounds pretty good and all I have is a cassette copy I made in the early '80s.
    I't still better than 95% of the bootlegs, maybe all of them, it's hard to tell on Youtube.
    Here's what I did and how I did it.
    My employer won the contract to provide sound for the entire Summer series at the Yale Bowlin New Haven, He had no PA so he bought some big Altec A-3s and the associated multicell horns, it never would have done the job and he would have been sued, lucky for him every act brought their own PA. (Dead-Grand Funk.....)
    Lucky for me I already had a full season backstage pass.
    I walked in carrying my Sony TC-800 5" reel to reel at 3 in the afternoon, started talking to the road crews, helped them when I could and found out that Yes was going to open for Grand Funk, Yes was not advertised, not on the tickets, totally last minute. As the afternoon wore on I decided to pick a seat right in front of the FOH system, I looked over my sholder and read "Mix buss out 1-2-3-4"
    They were only using #1 and #2 so I plugged into 3 and ran my cord with theirs down and under my seat. I recorded the show, I evem stayed for a few minutes of Grand Funk but the batteries in my Sony were getting low and who cared anyway, I wanted to hear my Yes recording.
    That's the story, now you know.

^^^^^^^^^^

Fabulous story! Thank you!

It IS a great recording of an excellent concert; thank you!

Amazing that the weren’t listed as being on the bill!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

A propos of nothing in particular, I just came across these two photos from this gig:

For some reason, I find it surprising that they would be performing in broad daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G3 View Post
    I loaned it to an old friend under the strict condition that there were to be no copies, just for his enjoyment, a few years later I see it on a file sharing site, then (as now) it's everywhere.
    I never did get my original tape back, it's a 5" reel of Sony tape. Now Warner Bros has something that sounds pretty good and all I have is a cassette copy I made in the early '80s.
    I't still better than 95% of the bootlegs, maybe all of them, it's hard to tell on Youtube.
    My employer won the contract to provide sound for the entire Summer series at the Yale Bowlin New Haven, He had no PA so he bought some big Altec A-3s and the associated multicell horns, it never would have done the job and he would have been sued, lucky for him every act brought their own PA. (Dead-Grand Funk.....)
    I walked in carrying my Sony TC-800 5" reel to reel at 3 in the afternoon, started talking to the road crews, helped them when I could and found out that Yes was going to open for Grand Funk, Yes was not advertised, not on the tickets, totally last minute. As the afternoon wore on I decided to pick a seat right in front of the FOH system, I looked over my sholder and read "Mix buss out 1-2-3-4"
    They were only using #1 and #2 so I plugged into 3 and ran my cord with theirs down and under my seat. I recorded the show, I evem stayed for a few minutes of Grand Funk but the batteries in my Sony were getting low and who cared anyway, I wanted to hear my Yes recording.
    Wow. I’m still kind of vaguely irritated sometimes about my Jane’s Addiction-Nothing’s Shocking cassette that I loaned to this kid on the bus in high school and never got back. I can only imagine the frustration you must feel.

Anyway, if you follow this link there are about nine different download versions derived from your recording if you want to compare sound quality in something better than YouTube. My personal favorite is the Tooleman’s: http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/down...onid=2 http://

What a fabulous story. I’m sorry your friend betrayed your requests but I’m also grateful that we got to hear the results. It’s long been a favourite recording and performance, and has given many hours of pleasure, so thank you.

The eons are closing
    What a fabulous story. I’m sorry your friend betrayed your requests but I’m also grateful that we got to hear the results. It’s long been a favourite recording and performance, and has given many hours of pleasure, so thank you.
    This and ditto.

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/down...qdownloadid=65

Notes:

Original Source comment: That is all I know truthfully. The fellow I received it from said he had borrowed the master reels from the owner, copied them and returned them. He seemed very sincere about it so I would tend to think the lineage accurate. It sure sounds mighty clean.

//

#778013 by djscomics at 2005-11-17 00:02:55 GMT (DIME Forum)
    I'm the guy who borrowed the original reel and I must say that it does sound good. It has been a real pleasure to see this recording circulate the way it has since it was set free several years ago. It was truly a stroke of good fortune that landed that tape in my lap in the late 1980's ..... The original taper did in fact walk into the Yale bowl with an open reel deck and plug into the board. Yes were third on the bill to Grand Funk that night, the taper snagged the Yes, unplugged and left. Pity there was nothing this nice in the Yes vaults for the new box set .... I bought it anyway, gotta support the boys in their golden years. Enjoy, and an extra special thanks to the tape gods for their generosity ... Kev

the name of this particular 'remaster' -- one of at least six versions for download at FY, including Shaun Toole's surroumd upmix -- is:
    RMCH GenM remastered by CH, who did the PRRP releases - SBD>master reel>cdr>flac

I haven't a clue what 'RMCH GenM remastter by GH' means, some DIME artifact I guess. I know what the PRRP is.

Here's all the stuff 'CH' did to it (which my notes after --)

Remaster
    1. Boost deficient frequencies/EQ -- i.e. re-EQ
    2. Repair sections of tape imperfection and missing sections -- editing
    3. Repair clicks and pops -- which shuoldn't be much of a task if there was really no vinyl intermediate
    4. Correct speed
    5. Correct pitch -- correcting speed corrects pitch all by itself (and vice versa)....unless the band didn't tune to A440.
    6. Adjust ambience -- added reverb?
    7. Adjust dynamics -- compression?
    8. Re-track

Hmm. I kinda wish 'flat transfers' were available for these classic boots, I'm not always a fan of the choices fan 'remasterers' make.
    Last edited by ssully; 3 Hours Ago at 03:23 PM.