Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Essential Tangerine Dream & related - what else do I need?

I think all Klaus Schulze's 70 albums are superb - I've just bought his '95 album In Blue and would be interested in which of his later albums people rate.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    I think all Klaus Schulze's 70 albums are superb - I've just bought his '95 album In Blue and would be interested in which of his later albums people rate.
    I rather like "In Blue" so here are a few other late-era faves:

Continuum
    Deus Arrakis
    Are You Sequenced?

Farscape & Rheingold (both with Lisa Gerrard...technically Rheingold is a live album but it's all unreleased and has pristine sound so, might as well be another studio album)

That said, KS is pretty consistent and rarely throws BIG curveballs into the mix (one album might have a little more drum work than another). So none of his late era albums are radically awful or terrible (no hidden Aphricas to watch out for ). I don't often reach for Moonlake, Shadowlands or Silhouette simply because I slightly vibe with the ones above a bit more. But you're not going to go too wrong with any of them.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

In Blue's big surprise is "Return of the Tempel" with Manuel Göttsching on guitar. That's the reason (a big one) to have that.

And if that rocks your world Piskie, definitely check out the Ash Ra reunion "Friendship!"

Thank you Battema. All added to my wish list for future reference!

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    I think his mid-70ies era is the best, he was really at his peak.
    Many good 70ies stuff can be found in the "La Vie Electronique" (live) series.
    I especially recommend Volumes 4, 5 , and 6.

Vol.6 includes the full 1977 historic concert at Brussels's St-Michel cathedral. One of the best K.S concerts ever...

Christopher Franke Klemania is interesting. Robert Schroder Pegasus is very reminiscent of the Klaus Schulze style.

Johannes Schmoelling The Zoo Of Tranquility is timeless. I really like his compositions.

You have a extensive collection. Very impressive! Have you ever heard Haunted Heights ? Thats definitely one of my favorite Tangerine Dream pieces. Originally I discovered it in the 80s when I bought a import box set .

Tangerine Dream were so influential to other Electronic artists. Free System Projekt Impulse for example. You might think youre listening to a lost TD album from the late 70s.

I liked certain albums by Steve Jolliffe. I got the impression that he was much better on his own. In the 80s or early 90s ??? He performed at a balloon race in one of the New England states. I'm ancient fossil and I can't remember the details, but there had to be somebody on P.E. that saw the show.

As many of you might know, TD is one of my favourite bands since forever really, and during the years I've also been collecting solo albums from members of the band. However, I only ever got three Christopher Franke albums, Klemania, Pacific Coast Highway and The London Concert which I enjoy. I've heard some of his soundtrack stuff but sadly that didn't impress me much. Did he release any more music worth having?

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    As many of you might know, TD is one of my favourite bands since forever really, and during the years I've also been collecting solo albums from members of the band. However, I only ever got three Christopher Franke albums, Klemania, Pacific Coast Highway and The London Concert which I enjoy. I've heard some of his soundtrack stuff but sadly that didn't impress me much. Did he release any more music worth having?
    If you have The Dream Roots Collection for "Valley of the Sun" and "Vanishing Blue," you're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    If you have The Dream Roots Collection for "Valley of the Sun" and "Vanishing Blue," you're all set.
    I'll second that. Most of Franke's solo work didn't do it for me. Hour Candle has the good ones and I did like the Babylon 5 suite OST but that and the Universal Soldier are not essential. Can't remember the last time I listened to the latter.

I am a big fan of the Dream Roots box set. I find listening to that and the much maligned Tangents box set great for driving.

If you like Tangerine Dream, this is an interesting video to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Hell yes, I have and the tracks you mention are both interesting and sublime. Well, I guess I'm all set then!

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus74 View Post
    Oops, I have Firestarter on vinyl and do really like it!

I'd love to get the boxes but unfortunately they're now going for $600 plus. If anyone wants to sell them cheaper, hit me up!
    Good news for people who like good news and don't love absurd 2nd-hand prices:

https://burningshed.com/tangerine-dr...wilight_boxset
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Yes I did see this! I'm considering it (shipping isn't cheap to Australia but you can't have everything)

Less in the TD range and more ART or Cosmic Joker-related world, Harald Grosskopf's Synthesist (from 78 or 77) is worthy of a serious listen - even if it is on the too-light category for my own eardrums.

Last edited by Trane; 04-10-2024 at 05:00 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

a buddy on a French forum

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.