Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Essential Tangerine Dream & related - what else do I need?

Essential Tangerine Dream & related - what else do I need?

Hi guys

Going through a huge TD phase over the last couple of years. Rather than list what I have already, I thought I'd just post a pic (hope you can see). Any suggestions of what else is essential that I don't already have here? (I wanted the two massive box sets but missed out on them )

IMG_7071.jpg

Thanks in advance

Looks like a pretty solid set thus far.

I personally would add Underwater Sunlight (1986) and The Park is Mine (1985?). Risky Business is great too, even if half the album isn't TD.

If you're willing to try some of the later stuff, I'd suggest Finnegan's Wake (2011) and both the post-EF albums Quantum Gate (2017) and Raum (2022).

Any/all of the Sessions releases are fun too. There are also a slew of official bootleg-type releases from the 70's and 80's that are full of TD goodness.

Since you're branching I'd encourage you to check out solo stuff from Peter Baumann and Johannes Schmoelling in addition to the Froese stuff you've got.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

OK I just realised you can't really read the titles so here's what's there:

Tangerine Dream:
    The Pink Years 1970-1973
    Phaedra
    Rubycon
    Ricochet
    Stratosfear
    Sorcerer
    Encore
    Cyclone
    Force Majuere
    Pergamon
    Tangram
    Thief
    Exit
    White Eagle
    Logos
    Hyperborea
    Poland
    The Blue Years 1985-1987
    Optical Race
    Live Miles
    Lily on the Beach
    Miracle Mile
    The Private Music of Tangerine Dream
    Canyon Dreams
    Turn of the Tides

Edgar Froese:
    Solo 1974-1983 The Virgin Years

Christopher Franke:
    Pacific Coast Highway

Michael Hoenig:
    Departure from the Northern Wasteland

Klaus Schulze:
    Irrlicht
    Cyborg
    Picture Music
    Blackdance
    Timewind
    Moondawn
    Body Love
    Mirage
    Body Love 2
    X
    Dune
    Live
    Dig It
    Trancefer
    Audentity
    Dziekuje Poland Live '83
    Angst
    Interface
    Dreams
    En=trance
    Miditerranean Pads
    Le Moulin de Daudet
    Das Wagner Desaster Live
    In Blue
    Are You Sequenced?
    Wahnfreid - Trance Appeal
    Wahnfreid - Drums n Balls
    Dosburg Online
    Vanity of Sounds
    The Crime of Suspense
    Ballet 1
    Ballet 2
    Ballet 3
    Ballet 4
    Live @ KlangArt
    Virtual Outback
    Moonlake
    Farscape
    Deus Arrakis

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Looks like a pretty solid set thus far.

I personally would add Underwater Sunlight (1986) and The Park is Mine (1985?). Risky Business is great too, even if half the album isn't TD.

If you're willing to try some of the later stuff, I'd suggest Finnegan's Wake (2011) and both the post-EF albums Quantum Gate (2017) and Raum (2022).

Any/all of the Sessions releases are fun too. There are also a slew of official bootleg-type releases from the 70's and 80's that are full of TD goodness.

Since you're branching I'd encourage you to check out solo stuff from Peter Baumann and Johannes Schmoelling in addition to the Froese stuff you've got.
    Thanks mate!
    Yes I have Underwater Sunlight in the Blue Years box and I have Risky Business on vinyl. Curious as to what other soundtracks are essential. I'll check out The Park is Mine.
    Also I just ordered Quantum Gate. It seems the new stuff is pretty cool.
    Thanks for the other recommendations, will look into them.
    Cheers!

There is a nice set of Baumann’s 70s albums about to come out:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...s-3cd-box-set/

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

It has a penalty disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus74 View Post
    Thanks mate!
    Yes I have Underwater Sunlight in the Blue Years box and I have Risky Business on vinyl. Curious as to what other soundtracks are essential. I'll check out The Park is Mine.
    Also I just ordered Quantum Gate. It seems the new stuff is pretty cool.
    Thanks for the other recommendations, will look into them.
    Cheers!
    I'm pretty sure there will be one very emphatic vote for Firestarter as well

IF you can find copies (or are OK with digital), both the Virgin box sets have some excellent delights for big fans: the 70's Hades box has the complete Oedipus Tyrannus as well as two full discs of additional material from the Phaedra sessions, plus three full concerts. And the 80's Purple Twilight box has The Keep and a complete Dominion London show (basically the complete version of what ended up on Logos).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    If you wanted to fill in the 90z/00s/10s you could pick up the Booster series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It has a penalty disc.
    A BIG penalty indeed...

Just Consider it as a two CD set.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    ......If you're willing to try some of the later stuff, I'd suggest Finnegan's Wake (2011) and both the post-EF albums Quantum Gate (2017) and Raum (2022).....

Agreed on Quantum Gate and Raum. I haven't spent as much time with the latter, but have not tired at all after multiple spins of the former. I find it pays great homage to the 70's era, yet with its own 21st century identity. Let us know what you think of it once it arrives and you've given it a listen, Cygnus74.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Nice to see your attractive collection of Klaus Schulze InsideOut releases. I had already collected most of his albums on CD before the InsideOut reissues started, so I've only bought a couple even though many of them have those tempting bonuses. There are a few more I should get though.

Looks good, probably more than I have or want for the most part As mentioned you do have Underwater Sunlight and Le Parc through that Blue Years box set. Peter Baumann's first two are very good and you'd probably like those.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

Yes I had seen that announced. I've only heard his first album so I might spend some more time with that (digitally) before committing to a purchase.

I'm pretty sure there will be one very emphatic vote for Firestarter as well

IF you can find copies (or are OK with digital), both the Virgin box sets have some excellent delights for big fans: the 70's Hades box has the complete Oedipus Tyrannus as well as two full discs of additional material from the Phaedra sessions, plus three full concerts. And the 80's Purple Twilight box has The Keep and a complete Dominion London show (basically the complete version of what ended up on Logos).
    Oops, I have Firestarter on vinyl and do really like it!

I'd love to get the boxes but unfortunately they're now going for $600 plus. If anyone wants to sell them cheaper, hit me up!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Nice to see your attractive collection of Klaus Schulze InsideOut releases. I had already collected most of his albums on CD before the InsideOut reissues started, so I've only bought a couple even though many of them have those tempting bonuses. There are a few more I should get though.
    Thanks. I actually worked on the liner notes for all those releases - hence why I have them all

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Agreed on Quantum Gate and Raum. I haven't spent as much time with the latter, but have not tired at all after multiple spins of the former. I find it pays great homage to the 70's era, yet with its own 21st century identity. Let us know what you think of it once it arrives and you've given it a listen, Cygnus74.
    Thanks! Will do!

You do say "essential" in the thread title, and IMHO, you've got everything you need (and so/too much more)....

... bar two things (surrounding the Atem album release):
    The Ultima Thule single (UT1 & UT2), which is IMHO absolutely necessary and precedes the release of Atem. It is the recordings that opened other doors and allowed them to move onwards beyond what they'd bone before.
    What comes after Atem is Green Desert, which Branson refused as their first Virgin album (not sure that if this had been released as such back then, it might've preceeded Tubular Bells as the label's first release. Sure, whatever we've got today is a bastardized (in the french sense of the word) version, re-modeled in the mid-80's, but it's clear that the album still has its 70's aura and spirit, which is more than I can say to everything post-Tangram.

Yup, I'm not a fan of the Schmoeling years (except Tangram - I've recently changed my mind about it), and I am pleased to see that you didn't include his (pathetic) solo career in your list. I'm also in agreeance that Conrad Schnitzler's strings of experimental albums are worth one listen, but bear absolutely no repeated listens (listen to Kluster instead, but remember he's not in Cluster or Harmonia).

Don't get me wrong, it's not that those early 80's TD releases are bad (far from it), but they're non-essential and therefore non-relevant, IMHO.

However, less pleasant is that you forgot Baumann's first album (Romance , but that's been addressed elsewhere in this thread , but the rest is really forgettable (he sounds like he wanted to become The Human League around the turn of the decade). You may find some of Joliffe's 80's albums of some interest, but this is out of the Tangerine kaléidoscope (more like library music - whatever that means).

BTW; I'm just not a fan of TD's movie soundtracks avenue either. There are moments of brilliance in those, and it allowed the band (well mainly Froese by then) greater recognition, but I don't think taking the music out of the films' context is very relevant.

So below, I've taken out whatever I consider useless for an essential list and bolded out those I consider as essential (btw, this includes very much EM and AC, which Froese seemed to disown for a long time)

Tangerine Dream:
    The Pink Years 1970-1973
    Phaedra
    Rubycon
    Ricochet
    Stratosfear

Sorcerer
    Encore
    Cyclone
    Force Majuere

Pergamon
    Tangram
    Thief
    Exit
    White Eagle
    Logos
    Hyperborea
    Poland

Edgar Froese:
    Solo 1974-1983 The Virgin Years

Christopher Franke:
    Pacific Coast Highway

Michael Hoenig:
    Departure from the Northern Wasteland

Klaus Schulze:
    Irrlicht
    Cyborg
    Picture Music
    Blackdance
    Timewind
    Moondawn

Body Love
    Mirage
    Body Love 2
    X

sooooo, I guess that 99% of my selection in your list will predate the mid-80's, but I don't see any relevance to this type of music beyond those years.

FTM, I'd even say that everything previously unavailable contained in the In Search Of Hades boxset is more relevant and essential than post 85 stuff.
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...ngs-1973-1979/

===================

BTW, there is series of poll threads in PA detailling the careers of the members releases pitting their debut solo album against each other and than the second album, etc... Interesting because you've got YT links to most of the albums you might not have heard.
    Last edited by Trane; 05-20-2024 at 06:10 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I only have 70s Klaus Schulze stuff, but do have the first 8 of La Vie Electronique which is an excellent parrallel universe of his stuff back then. Edgar Froese's solo albums are good too.

[QUOTE=Trane;1232695]You do say "essential" in the thread title, and IMHO, you've got everything you need (and so/too much more)....

sooooo, I guess that 99% of my selection in your list will predate the mid-80's, but I don't see any relevance to this type of music beyond those years.

FTM, I'd even say that everything previously unavailable contained in the In Search Of Hades boxset is more relevant and essential than post 85 stuff.
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...ngs-1973-1979/

Thanks for the tips. See I quite enjoy the 80's era so we differ there but I equally love the 70's output. I will investigate Ultima Thule. I've not heard that. I have Green Desert in the Blue Years box.

I think I really ought to Get PB's Romance 76 album next!

I will investigate Ultima Thule. I've not heard that. I have Green Desert in the Blue Years box.

I think I really ought to get PB's Romance 76 album next!
    The Ultime Thule is available in the Nebulous Dawn boxset, but this is needless if you already own the much better boxset Pink Years (artworks respected and tracks list sequence as well). There is also a pointless pre-EM single (released as The Ones) available on ND boxset.

That UT single is the only Record Store Day item I ever bought (I only own 3 45rpm), but if you're able to locate this, you will also get some rare early years stuff (not sure of sound quality)
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co.../ultima-thule/
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Oops, I have Firestarter on vinyl and do really like it!

I'd love to get the boxes but unfortunately they're now going for $600 plus. If anyone wants to sell them cheaper, hit me up!
    Cheaper on Discogs:
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/13758468?ev=rb
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?ma...rt=price%2Casc

You are missing the two-part Bootleg Box and the three-part Official Bootleg Series.

And two essential live (rehearsal) archives, Hoenig-Gottsching "Early Water" and the Schulze-Schickert sessions.

Progger for sure 😏
    Hi guys

Going through a huge TD phase over the last couple of years. Rather than list what I have already, I thought I'd just post a pic (hope you can see). Any suggestions of what else is essential that I don't already have here? (I wanted the two massive box sets but missed out on them )
    Thanks in advance
    I'm not that familiar with all TD's work to be able to contribute to this thread, but I wouldn't mind to hear about your favourite '70s TD albums in this thread

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...c-in-the-1970s

It seems like you have most of the really necessary stuff. Maybe Journeys Out of the Body by Steve Jolliffe, Michael Hoenig's Xcept One or Steve Schroyder's Klänge Bilder Welten, though I'd hesitate to call any of these essential.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I really enjoy the Sessions albums by the current line-up that battema mentioned. Thorsten Quaeschning has some good solo Sessions albums, too.:

I am guessing Cygnus is interested in physical media based on the collection they shared, so I didn't include some of the digital-only stuff (like TQ's really excellent Behind Closed Doors series from the pandemic). Of course, if I'm wrong? Those are great suggestions as well