Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jeff Lynne's ELO Farewell Tour?

I'm seeing the show tonight, and despite the predictable setlist, very much looking forward to it. This seems to be standard set they are going with:

One More Time
    Evil Woman
    Do Ya
    Sweet Talkin' Woman
    Strange Magic
    10538 Overture
    Showdown
    Steppin' Out
    Rockaria!
    Can't Get It Out of My Head
    Fire on High
    Livin' Thing
    Last Train to London
    Telephone Line
    All Over the World
    Turn to Stone
    Shine a Little Love
    Don't Bring Me Down

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I saw the show here last Saturday. IT was a great show, if a mostly predictable setlist. They effectively did the entire original ELO's Greatest Hits album, except for one song. They did a Move song. They did two numbers from Out Of The Blue that I didn't expect (in addition to the three that I did expect), three numbers from Disco?Very!, and a song from a movie soundtrack. OH yeah, and they did one song from the first album. Oh and they did one song from Out Of Nowhere.

They did nothing from Time (though about a second of The Rain Is Falling was used in the pre-recorded "play on" montage). That was mildly disappointing to me, because Time is my favorite ELO album, but I recall, on the last tour, they didn't do anything from it, either, so maybe Jeff isn't too fond of it. Also, nothing from Secret Messages or Balance Of Power (no suprise on either of those). And thankfully, no Traveling Wilburies songs either.

Although they had two cellists and a violinist onstage, I think a lot of the strings was coming from one of the three keyboardists they had onstage. The guy on stage left, I think that was his main job. I noticed sometimes, the keyboardist on far stage right, just seemed to be doing "icing on the cake" things, like e.g. Clavinet riff in the choruses of Evil Woman. And I think they had about six people singing backup vocals altogether, so I suspect there wasn't much need for any "backing tapes" on that front.

Visually awesome show, too. Lots of lasers, and it was neat how they used the spaceship as the backdrop.
    Yeah, I could have done without the disco. The crowd seemed to like it. I wish they would have done a full version of "Fire on High." But I knew going into the show that it was abbreviated. I'm glad I finally got a chance to see him.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I'm seeing the show tonight, and despite the predictable setlist, very much looking forward to it. This seems to be standard set they are going with:

One More Time
    Evil Woman
    Do Ya
    Sweet Talkin' Woman
    Strange Magic
    10538 Overture
    Showdown
    Steppin' Out
    Rockaria!
    Fire on High
    Livin' Thing
    Last Train to London
    Telephone Line
    All Over the World
    Turn to Stone
    Shine a Little Love
    Don't Bring Me Down
    That's not complete. They end the show with Mr Blue Sky.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yeah, I could have done without the disco. The crowd seemed to like it. I wish they would have done a full version of "Fire on High." But I knew going into the show that it was abbreviated. I'm glad I finally got a chance to see him.
    I saw ELO a few years ago. The disco "Shine A Little Love" was a great time for a bathroom break to get another beer. Disco ELO was never my thing.

One More Time
    Evil Woman
    Do Ya
    Sweet Talkin' Woman
    Strange Magic
    10538 Overture
    Showdown
    Steppin' Out
    Rockaria!
    Fire on High
    Livin' Thing
    Last Train to London
    Telephone Line
    All Over the World
    Turn to Stone
    Shine a Little Love
    Don't Bring Me Down
    A bit different setlist than on Wembley of bust.

I was fine with the Disco?Very! tracks, but I would have exchanged that opening band, for Standing In The Rain and a few songs from Time, and maybe Secret Messages itself.

Man, what a fantastic show in Philly. I had never seen Lynne & Co. but damn they sounded fantastic. That band he has assembled is really great as well. I have seen two of them before: Lead guitarist Milton McDonald on the ABWH tour and bassist Lee Pomeroy with ARW. I thought the setlist was great and wouldnt have taken anything away. If anything, my nitpick wouldve been to have them play longer than 90 minutes and throw in "Hold On Tight" and "Calling America" - not exactly deep tracks, but two of their bigger hits from the early '80s.

Man, what a fantastic show in Philly. I had never seen Lynne & Co. but damn they sounded fantastic. That band he has assembled is really great as well. I have seen two of them before: Lead guitarist Milton McDonald on the ABWH tour and bassist Lee Pomeroy with ARW. I thought the setlist was great and wouldnt have taken anything away. If anything, my nitpick wouldve been to have them play longer than 90 minutes and throw in "Hold On Tight" and "Calling America" - not exactly deep tracks, but two of their bigger hits from the early '80s.
    Pomeroy was also Steve Hackett's bassist for a long time as well as a member of It Bites. The guy has been around and is great

If anything, my nitpick wouldve been to have them play longer than 90 minutes and throw in "Hold On Tight" and "Calling America"
    The latter and 'Twilight' were in the first gig but got ditched.

I first became aware of Lee Pomeroy in Rick Wakeman's band, maybe twenty years ago- in fact he still plays with Wakeman. He's had a very good career since. When I saw Hackett in 2013 it was Pomeroy on bass.

I saw the Pittsburgh show last week. Freaking amazing. Lynne is definitely looking a bit feeble, but his voice sounded really good. Not perfect, but very impressive. He played no lead guitar and had some help with some of the singing, but handled most himself.
    There's been a fair bit of discussion on this on Steve Hoffman. TBH from the clips of the earlier shows, I feared the worst, but it's been better since.

That's not complete. They end the show with Mr Blue Sky.
    Also, at least at the show I saw, they did Believe Me Now before Steppin' Out.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 1 Week Ago at 03:55 PM.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)