Thread: R.I.P. Gerry Conway

R.I.P. Gerry Conway

Drummer Gerry Conway passed away today, posted by his son and also on the official Fairport Convention website (so no, I don't care if it isn't on the all-knowing Wikipedia yet). Drummer with quite a few people including Cat Stevens, Jethro Tull, Fotheringay, and of course the Fairports.

R.I.P.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sorry to read it. Always liked Cat Stevens's album Buddah and the Chocolate Box and it has some powerful drum work from Conway.

Sad news. RIP. Yeah, usually wikipedia is very fast with this stuff. I guess they are slipping.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Ember
    Conway may possibly appear on as many records in my collection as anyone. And while I’ve only seen him here in the US a couple of times on stage, those were memorable shows. An important figure for a certain type of music fan, and a notable passing (amongst more and more of them as our generation moves on). RIP
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

^ Well said. I saw him once, but I don't immediately recall with whom.

Sad news, as the line grows longer.

Sad news; he is on many a very fine album in my collection.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

In my collection he's on albums by John Martyn and Shelagh McDonald. R.I.P.

RIP Great man. I'll have to tell my Gerry Conway / Richard Thompson story one day!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Sad to hear this.

Although not as ubiquitous in British 70s folk-rock quarters as Dave Mattacks, some of his finest performances were in the best known moments of it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

R.I.P.