Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm Gonna Say It - Cowboy Carter By Beyonce Is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I like mayonnaise, or perhaps I don't care about it. And mustard I like as well, though you don't find them in my home. With music, there are perhaps 3 kinds: What I like, what I don't really care about and what I hate.
    The only kinds of music I actively detest - as in when I hear them I get upset - are anything with that djent stuff going on and growling or angry screaming metal. I don't like Post Rock because it just bores me but it doesn't make me upset.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

^^ "hick-hop"

Never heard that one before.

I'll take Hank, Sr. over any of this.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Our definitions differ. Product to me is something that exists only to be sold, quality and meaning be damned. I understand music is made in a marketplace. Magma does not make product. This record is, like much of modern CW and pop singing these days. The only reason this will get any notice at all is that it is from Beyonce, but boy, the WaPo really laid a heavy hit on it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...carter-review/

Beyonce is important to a certain demographic, of which I am not a member. I don't find her work interesting, but I can say that about a lot of musicians, so it is not personal (for example, I find Aerosmith utterly boring). This would not excite me, and there is no reason for me to purchase it, when I am finding much more interesting music elsewhere (like discovering Jinjer lately- Tatiana Shmayluk is one hell of a singer and frontwoman in a band filled with incredible musicians). In truth, I suppose I did not need to post on a thread that is excited about the music- we all have differing tastes and I respect that, so forgive my comments.
    Magma was the first band I thought of when I went for a band that doesn't record Product! Maybe because I listened to a live MDK last night.

The "Execs" have managed to grab Country music ?
    Is nothing sacred?
    Will they be adding their special blend of "Jailhouse culture" to it as well?

Where's Marvin Rainwater when you need him?

Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 04-03-2024 at 02:12 PM.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Magma was the first band I thought of when I went for a band that doesn't record Product! Maybe because I listened to a live MDK last night.
    I would say any band that is breaking new ground or not following commercial trends is not making product.

Once artist that did create product, but for a different reason, was Frank Zappa. He had to make records that he knew would sell, so that he could fund his less-commercial works.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Which version?

Earlier today I saw an article where Alyssa Rosenberg interviewed Ken Burns on the importance of Cowboy Carter and black country music, and my first thought was, why are two white folk commenting on this? And why Ken Burns, who is a complete reactionary? Meantime, I do understand that Beyonce is not for me, but she is apparently for millions of others, meaning I suppose that I have become my parents not understanding why Jefferson Airplane was so important to me. I view music through my own lens, obviously, so cannot understand why people love Beyonce's music as much as they do- I guess I just like heavier intensity and complexity, so Magma, Jinjer, Meshuggah, Anna Meredith, etc. And as to country, I do like trad country- Willie, Waylon, towns van Zandt, but find nothing appealing of modern country, which is really more safe product- and for real, product, as there are teams of songwriters who turn out reams of similar sounding tunes sung by interchangeable singers, many of whom affect more right-wing personas. Most of whom are also not black.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ "hick-hop"

Never heard that one before.

I'll take Hank, Sr. over any of this.
    Whoops. I tried to edit and forgot that I can't do that on my phone. Yes, hick-hop isn't the official terminology for hip-hop infused country rock, but it's still very descriptive. And funny.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Beyoncé’s ‘Cowboy Carter’ isn’t a country album. It’s worse.
    Review by Chris Richards
    March 30, 2024 at 5:02 p.m. EDT

wow. What a long-winded opus to say you don't like something. Was he as disdainful of Willie Nelson when he put out albums of American Standards, you know, just because he was Willie Nelson. This Beyawnsé album is the type of stuff that gets played on CW format radio, not anything resembling traditional country. CW fans gobbled up insipid songs like Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy in 04 (the gateway song to hick-hop) while ignoring Johnny Cash's last album and refusing to play anything from Loretta Lynn's Van Leer Rose from '04 (which was only recorded and released with Jack White's involvement). CW fans embraced Kid Rock or at least I don't remember any backlash. CW swerved out of its lane first. I chuckle at the notion that they think that Cowboy Carter is worse than what they've been listening to for the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Whoops. I tried to edit and forgot that I can't do that on my phone. Yes, hick-hop isn't the official terminology for hip-hop infused country rock, but it's still very descriptive. And funny.
    Trademark it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    while ignoring Johnny Cash's last album
    They ignored Cash for decades. He didn't fit into their mold, which is why he was a fucking legend. And he was sooooo much more than Country.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Trademark it.
    I think I read it somewhere 🤔

Weirdly, my doorway into mariachi music was when a neighbor's radio played a mariachi version of "The Night Chicago Died," and I realized that (a) I liked it better than the original, and (b) it bore a strong resemblance to polka music, only with different instrumentation.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.