Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deep Purple + Yes US Summer Tour

When Yes and Styx toured in the summer of 2011, they took turns as the opening act if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    When Yes and Styx toured in the summer of 2011, they took turns as the opening act if I recall correctly.
    Yeah, that makes sense but I think that depends at least partly on the location. In Chicago Yes would probably open.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

When Chicago and Earth, Wind and Fire toured together, they opened as a huge band. Then one band did a set, the other band did a set, and they closed as a huge band. That was a memorable show.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm certain that many Yes fans would see them these days if they had Jon A. in the band. They still wouldn't be huge but they would probably have quite a bit more people show up for them than they currently do.
    I would go if Jon A was in the band. Deep Purple was one of the first bands I was into as a little kid in the 70s. I've only seen them once, in 1984 when they reunited the MkII lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm certain that many Yes fans would see them these days if they had Jon A. in the band. They still wouldn't be huge but they would probably have quite a bit more people show up for them than they currently do.
    Undoubtedly, in my view. I think a Yes which had Anderson, Wakeman and Howe would be doing reasonably well. But it's not going to happen. And whilst I don't buy the current band's albums etc., (the last I own is Fly From Here) Howe does get on with things without too much fuss and drama.

Arguably Deep Purple also don't have the status they maybe should. It took both bands a long time to get into the Rock Hall. Again the chopping and changing and arguing over the years didn't really help.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    That makes sense... Yes and Toto took turns as the opener when they toured together.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I would go if Jon A was in the band. Deep Purple was one of the first bands I was into as a little kid in the 70s. I've only seen them once, in 1984 when they reunited the MkII lineup.
    I am done with Steve's version of Yes but if Jon A was singing I would go for sure... I'd still cringe at the keyboards but I'd go!

Having said that I have liked all the LP's they have made without Mr Anderson particularly the first one with Benoit and Oliver Wakeman. That did sound like a Yes album to me. The follow ups were "Yes like" but I thought there was decent material on all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I saw them in Philly on that tour. It was incredible!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I believe he stopped doing those things after his wife passed away, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    Turns out he's been excepting himself from these events for years:

The rest of the guys do these VIP meet and greets. I'm not really in favour of them myself. I like meeting the ordinary fans, not the wealthy ones.
    So it actually sounds kind of admirable.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Before the pandemic, Yes often did big package tours in N America in the summer, and then played smaller venues on solo tours at other times of the year. This is just a reversion to that pattern. OK, Deep Purple are headlining, while previously Yes would co-headline, but so what? Yes get to play to bigger audiences and I'm sure the money is good.

Yes still have a European solo tour coming up, and the rumours are of a Japanese solo tour in Sep and then back to the US for a solo tour in Oct. The band are busy with a mix of different approaches: big venues with Purple, some bigger venues where they sell more in Europe, some smaller venues, a festival date in Spain. That adds up to lots of touring, plus a new album probably this year. That's a healthy amount of activity. You will have to decide for yourself what you think of the quality.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    [B]I have pre-scale tickets with 2 seats on the 9th row from the floor in the section next to the stage in Montreal. I have a conflict. I paid $370 Canadian but can sell them for $300 Cdn. PM me if you're interested./B]
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have pre-scale tickets with 2 seats on the 9th row from the floor in the section next to the stage in Montreal. I have a conflict. I paid $370 Canadian but can sell them for $300 Cdn. PM me if you're interested.
    Guess that would make you an anti-scalper.

^^ Yep.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have pre-scale tickets with 2 seats on the 9th row from the floor in the section next to the stage in Montreal. I have a conflict. I paid $370 Canadian but can sell them for $300 Cdn. PM me if you're interested.
    Can't you offer them on the same TM site for re-sale or Kijiji? I guess some brokers like Stubhub would also buy them from you. Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Can't you offer them on the same TM site for re-sale or Kijiji? I guess some brokers like Stubhub would also buy them from you. Just an idea.
    Thanks. I think I'm going to use Kijiji.

Hm. Two of my former fave bands.

Purple preceded Yes at the Plumpton racetrack on August 9., 1970, I believe - the former ruining the latter's appearance or almost; due to tech specs seeing to delay DP's performance and consequently having Yes play during severe rain (according to C. Charlesworth's Deep Purple - The Illustrated Biography from '83), but allegedly "actually" because of a heartfelt dispute between ol' Blackmore and either Howe or Squire backstage. This from an acquaintance of mine who interviewed Ian Gillan in the mid-90s, so it very well might be mere nonsense or a case of selective memory.

Rock groups somehow "surviving" old age. I think not.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^^ interesting. Plumpton Race Course is not too far from me, I can see it down in the distance from the South Downs Way. Don't suppose they have any gigs on these days, it would frighten the horses. Maybe DP and Yes should do a reunion there for old times, could be fun. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

^ You mean there's no one playing neither "Speed King" nor "Starship Trooper" there now?

That caretaker should be decapitated and left for near-cancelled afterwards. Frightening horses would warrant that, but just managing a track where "Speed" and "Trooper" once were performed should at least have him gaoled.

Nah. Oslo had the most vibrant live music scene in all of Europe. Two years of on/off lockdown saw to rid all of that, and better still - somehow no one cares to even debate it! How odd.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

New Purple track from the forthcoming album =1

I sold my tickets (2) on Ticketmaster for $150 per ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    New Purple track from the forthcoming album =1

Not bad.

Man, what a bunch of geezers. Is that Ian Paice on drums? Looks nothing like him in those brief clips.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Man, what a bunch of geezers. Is that Ian Paice on drums? Looks nothing like him in those brief clips.
    It is. He's actually the youngest of the legacy members...he's even eight days younger than Don Airey!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It is. He's actually the youngest of the legacy members...he's even eight days younger than Don Airey!
    He must be wearing a wig.

Only original member, too.

Not bad.

They are old! But as long as they can still play at a decent level and don't fake it like Eagles/Kiss/Motley Crue etc. than I am happy for them.

He must be wearing a wig.

Only original member, too.
    Not so long ago Paicey wore a do rag. As did/does Roger.