Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: ASIA, FOCUS, MARTIN TURNER & CURVED AIR tour?

Did a WhatsApp chat with Sonja today and then a short video chat on the same platform. They were pulling up to the hotel and were very hungry. I heard later from another patron of hers that she put us on the VIP list, so we’ll be talking to all the bands at 2:00 and then hanging with Sonja afterwards. Can’t wait. Flying out from here in the Bay Area early tomorrow morning to Milwaukee. Show is Wednesday at Pabst Theater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Did a WhatsApp chat with Sonja today and then a short video chat on the same platform. They were pulling up to the hotel and were very hungry.
    Did she get something to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Did she get something to eat?
    Everybody funny, you funny too.

Did a WhatsApp chat with Sonja today and then a short video chat on the same platform. They were pulling up to the hotel and were very hungry. I heard later from another patron of hers that she put us on the VIP list, so we’ll be talking to all the bands at 2:00 and then hanging with Sonja afterwards. Can’t wait. Flying out from here in the Bay Area early tomorrow morning to Milwaukee. Show is Wednesday at Pabst Theater.

Hope you enjoy it immensely, and it meets all of your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Hope you enjoy it immensely, and it meets all of your expectations.
    Thank you. Sonja got us VIP passes for 2:00 today, which means meet and greet and sound check, I believe as well. She said we can hang out tonight after the show with her.

Thank you. Sonja got us VIP passes for 2:00 today, which means meet and greet and sound check, I believe as well. She said we can hang out tonight after the show with her.

The tour isn't coming anywhere near me, but if it was, I would go, and Curved Air/Sonja would be the main reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The tour isn't coming anywhere near me, but if it was, I would go, and Curved Air/Sonja would be the main reason why.
    CA was a big reason I went. The 20 minute set was great but too short. Loved Wishbone Ash and Focus. Not an Asia fan. The meet and greet plus soundchecks was fun. Got to talk, get pictures and autographs with Sonja, Martin Turner, Thijs Van Leer. A great and memorable experience.

CA was a big reason I went. The 20 minute set was great but too short. Loved Wishbone Ash and Focus. Not an Asia fan. The meet and greet plus soundchecks was fun. Got to talk, get pictures and autographs with Sonja, Martin Turner, Thijs Van Leer. A great and memorable experience.

It was great hearing her again! I've only seen CA twice before and it was really nice getting this chance last night. Focus was fantastic and I thought Asia was really good for what they are (not my favorite, but I did see them a couple times during the reunion years just because of the players). Turner's WA was my least favorite. I have seen the other WA a few times in recent years and felt this version really lacked energy in comparison. Not bad, just not as good.

It was absolutely fantastic seeing these bands again. My wife had never seen Focus and they are one of the groups I had wanted her to see for years, so this was awesome.

Only downside was a group of really drunk, and really loud fans off to the side of us who at times made it hard for some of our group. I was on the other end from them so I didn't hear them as often, but even from my side of our row they were just obnoxious. I say this as a guy who is capable of having a snootful before a show They didn't ruin it, but they sure didn't make things better. Happens at concerts, but still stinks.
    Last edited by Mstove; 08-01-2024 at 04:45 PM.

Great you were there last night as well! I agree about Asia. The musician ship was excellent and the singer was incredible, but their material is rather pedestrian. It was my first time seeing Virgil Donati on drums. Killer!
    The short Curved Air set was excellent. Asia could have given up 10 minutes so CA could have had a half hour set. One can dream.
    I enjoyed this version of Wishbone Ash a lot, having seen Andy Powell's band a number of times. Fine playing and harmonies.
    Sorry you had to deal with some inebriated fans. We were in row E on the right side.
    Here are a number of photos my wife and I took. https://www.facebook.com/robwaxman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nice pics Rob.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Great you were there last night as well! I agree about Asia. The musician ship was excellent and the singer was incredible, but their material is rather pedestrian. It was my first time seeing Virgil Donati on drums. Killer!
    The short Curved Air set was excellent. Asia could have given up 10 minutes so CA could have had a half hour set. One can dream.
    I enjoyed this version of Wishbone Ash a lot, having seen Andy Powell's band a number of times. Fine playing and harmonies.
    Sorry you had to deal with some inebriated fans. We were in row E on the right side.
    Here are a number of photos my wife and I took. https://www.facebook.com/robwaxman
    Great photos! We were a few rows behind you so similar perspective, just not as close. It was a really fun night.

I get the feeling that a shorter set isn't so bad for Sonja these days. I would happily have seen more, but just getting this much was really fun. It was great that Focus got an extra song.

I didn't dislike Martin's version, I just enjoyed Powell's more, including this past spring.

Quote Originally Posted by hightea View Post
    Curved air- about 20 minutes, WA- about 30 min and focus about 45-50 min. Left after three Asia songs. It was worth it for focus and curved air but wish both played longer.
    20 minutes is quite short for a C.A set and doesn't leave much space for their typical instrumental excursions, or longer tracks.
    I wonder what songs they played, anyone could post a setlist ?
    It could work, but I'm not very attracted by a fully acoustic/drum-less version of C.A
    But maybe for many of us it was the only (and last ?) chance to see this band playing live.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 08-02-2024 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    20 minutes is quite short for a C.A set and doesn't leave much space for their typical instrumental excursions, or longer tracks.
    I wonder what songs they played, anyone could post a setlist ?
    It could work, but I'm not very attracted by a fully acoustic/drum-less version of C.A
    But maybe for many of us it was the only (and last ?) chance to see this band playing live.
    I certainly wanted a longer Curved Air Set, but it is what it is. I had to see the band, plus Focus and MT Wishbone Ash were excellent. I was also very happy Focus got
    an extra song, Focus III. If each band donated five minutes, they would have gotten 35 minutes. Sigh. Sonja said she wants to bring an electric band to the US. That
    would be great, but you never know what will happen in the future, of course. For me, it was extra special as she got me and my wife the VIP experience, so we met
    her and band members from the other bands and saw the soundchecks. Fantastic! See my pictures on FB a few posts back (link).

Decided to make a little trip of it and flew in to see the Milwaukee show.

Probably would not have gone for asia alone but focus sold it for me. Curved air were good for what we got. I only just started listening in prep for this show so looking forward to getting more of their music.

I enjoyed wishbone ash but must confess they aren’t a major favorite of mine and they didn’t play my favorite songs of theirs but certainly not upset to have seen em though I’d have been ok with more CA and Focus.

Focus as others have mentioned blew the place down and we were blessed to get the bonus focus 3 for this show so happy with our show choice (though the bonus Annie Haslam appearance is a contender too).

The new asia is quite solid instrumentally I did find times where the new voice felt just a hit too young or lacking wettons bite but it’s a nigh impossible job and he handled it admirably. Everyone seemed to be having fun and it translated well.

I did find it odd they we didn’t get a drum solo wonder if that was Carl Palmers demand to sign off on the band 😆