Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: ASIA, FOCUS, MARTIN TURNER & CURVED AIR tour?

Sadly I was unable to make any of the dates for this concert. Had I been able to, Asia would have been 4th on my list of what bands I wanted to see. But not because they are missing original members or anything like that.

Having said that...

Well done, John Mitchell !
    Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    There were two distinct occasions. One was in 1980 when a band consisting of John Wetton, Rick Wakeman, Carl Palmer and Rabin was discussed. They were all scheduled to meet up in LA or somewhere, but Wakeman had second thoughts and didn't turn up, and that was the end of that.
    The story I remember hearing was they were getting offers from record companies before they'd even done a single rehearsal together, and Wakeman objected out of principle.

The second was a year or so later when the original Asia line-up had been formed but some A&R guy decided that Wetton wasn't strong enough as a frontman, and they briefly had a go at adding Rabin as fifth member. Demos were recorded and are available on YT. Rabin didn't understand why he was there and I guess the others didn't think he was needed either. An interesting footnote, and one I didn't know about until years after the Union tour which I'd assumed to be the first time Howe and Rabin had any interaction.
    I believe Rabin talked about that when he was interviewed in Guitar Player, during the 90125 era (I think it was the issue with Rik Emmett on the cover with his Yamaha doubleneck). I remember thinking it was strange that he was briefly involved in Asia, and then ended up in Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The story I remember hearing was they were getting offers from record companies before they'd even done a single rehearsal together, and Wakeman objected out of principle.
    Sounds to me like, possibly, a self-serving version of events by Rick. Like the story of him and Jon in Paris, late 1979, getting drunk despairing about what Yes had become and deciding to leave the band. (In fact, Jon didn't leave until 3 months later, and Rick, although absent from subsequent rehearsals/writing sessions, was still expected to play keyboards on the next album.)

In other words, there may be an alternative story where, for instance, a plane was missed because one had had a drink too many, or a variation thereof. I'm purely speculating here, but I'm keeping a critical eye (and a large grain of salt) when some members of Yes tell their side of the story.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

For any of you on Facebook, John Mitchell has started posting a very amusing tour diary of this tour on his page.

Sounds to me like, possibly, a self-serving version of events by Rick. Like the story of him and Jon in Paris, late 1979, getting drunk despairing about what Yes had become and deciding to leave the band. (In fact, Jon didn't leave until 3 months later, and Rick, although absent from subsequent rehearsals/writing sessions, was still expected to play keyboards on the next album.)

In other words, there may be an alternative story where, for instance, a plane was missed because one had had a drink too many, or a variation thereof. I'm purely speculating here, but I'm keeping a critical eye (and a large grain of salt) when some members of Yes tell their side of the story.
    Yeah, I suppose that's possible. There's a few moments in Yes history, were I've wondered if the "official" story is what really happened (e.g. Cinema morphing into Yes) or where there's a couple different versions of the story (e.g. who called whom in response to whose Melody Maker ad, leading to Bill Bruford, a "jazz musician" getting drawn into the sordid world of would become known as "prog rock").

But I suppose all these years later, as Rick Springfield once put it, "The point is probably moot".

There were two distinct occasions. One was in 1980 when a band consisting of John Wetton, Rick Wakeman, Carl Palmer and Rabin was discussed. They were all scheduled to meet up in LA or somewhere, but Wakeman had second thoughts and didn't turn up, and that was the end of that.

The second was a year or so later when the original Asia line-up had been formed but some A&R guy decided that Wetton wasn't strong enough as a frontman, and they briefly had a go at adding Rabin as fifth member. Demos were recorded and are available on YT. Rabin didn't understand why he was there and I guess the others didn't think he was needed either. An interesting footnote, and one I didn't know about until years after the Union tour which I'd assumed to be the first time Howe and Rabin had any interaction.
    As I've said before, Asia happened because Fripp wound up King Crimson in 1974! There's this through line of ideas of what to do with the musicians leftover from the Crimson break-up, and then from other break-ups, including Wakeman/Wetton/Bruford (supposedly to be called British Bulldog) to Wakeman/Wetton/Palmer/Rabin in 1980 to Asia in 1982.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    As I've said before, Asia happened because Fripp wound up King Crimson in 1974! There's this through line of ideas of what to do with the musicians leftover from the Crimson break-up, and then from other break-ups, including Wakeman/Wetton/Bruford (supposedly to be called British Bulldog) to Wakeman/Wetton/Palmer/Rabin in 1980 to Asia in 1982.
    OK, I thought I had read once that, ok, yes, Fripp quit Crimson in 1974, but I thought I had heard that they had actually rehearsed with, I think, Ian McDonald, and Fripp had actually given his blessing for McDonald, Bruford and Wetton to go forward as King Crimson without him, but it was E.G. who threw the spanner in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    OK, I thought I had read once that, ok, yes, Fripp quit Crimson in 1974, but I thought I had heard that they had actually rehearsed with, I think, Ian McDonald, and Fripp had actually given his blessing for McDonald, Bruford and Wetton to go forward as King Crimson without him, but it was E.G. who threw the spanner in the works.
    They never rehearsed with McDonald. He came in and did overdubs on two tracks on "Red", never actually playing with any of the others. Then the idea was put forward that he should join the band as 4th man, with Wetton being the prime pusher for that. Fripp had reservations about that, given how McDonald had left the original band, but then went along with the idea. But pretty soon after that he decided he didn't want to commit to at least 6 months of touring behind "Red", which is when he made the suggestion of the other three carrying on with another guitarist (Fripp has since said he had suggested Steve Hackett, but, much like Wakeman-Wetton-Bruford being called "British Bulldog", that seems a fairly recent story rather than something that was seriously considered at the time), but indeed, David Enthoven (the E in EG) said KC wouldn't be KC without Fripp, so the idea went no further and Fripp told Wetton and Bruford the band was no more (not even having told them about his alternative idea for a Fripp-less KC).
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I saw the Medford show last night. I was apprehensive about it, but I was very well pleased. All bands played well and got great ovations from the audience. Even though Curved Air was acoustic and played for just 15 or 20 minutes, they were wonderful. Sonja is still in fine voice. Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash played most of Argus. Great stuff! I think Focus was the hit of the night. They played for about 40 minutes and probably would have done an encore if the schedule had allowed. Thijs from Focus played organ for the final two numbers by Martin Turner.

The show was so well put together that there was less than a couple minutes between the first three bands. As soon as the members of one band left, the next came out and immediately started playing. Asia was very good, though I did not know their material as well as that of the first three. They did a very nice "Video Killed the Radio Star" from Geoff Downes' Buggles days.

Though he had been billed as exhibitor and MC, Roger Dean was a no-show.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I'm going to the Medford show tomorrow night. In the seating chart, I see that the balcony has no tickets available. I doubt that means that the balcony is sold out..
    The balcony was closed altogether. The very back of the orchestra was open but only about five people there. Everyone was allowed to move up to the main orchestra and it was respectably filled..

As noted, Focus was amazingly good. Pierre van der Linden is an absolute wonder to behold. The full length "Eruption" was the best thing I have seen from a vintage prog band in decades. Wish there had been time for a track or two from the new album, ,but they got most of the "hits" in.

I've seen the current Wishbone Ash and enjoyed them, but I enjoyed Martin Turner's band better. They're far stronger vocally, and you realize how important it is to have a "lead" bass player in the lineup.

Asia was good for what it was, ,the classic stuff being interpreted by a mostly new lineup. I'd stay aboard if they wind up doing new music. As it is, "Voice of America" which I'd never seen done by the Wetton lineup made the set for me.

The venue should probably have promoted this as a package tour but didn't; the venue website didn't even name the other bands.
    Last edited by bRETT; 5 Days Ago at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post

The venue should probably have promoted this as a package tour but didn't; the venue website didn't even name the other bands.
    That just seems so strange to me. Granted the other bands don't have as big a profile in the U.S. but I can't imagine that they would not draw at least some people if they were advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That just seems so strange to me. Granted the other bands don't have as big a profile in the U.S. but I can't imagine that they would not draw at least some people if they were advertised.
    A guy in front of me was upset to learn that Asia wouldn't be on for two hours, so he left and went to dinner. When he came back he said "So did I miss the best part of the night?" and I said "Uh, yes."

A guy in front of me was upset to learn that Asia wouldn't be on for two hours, so he left and went to dinner. When he came back he said "So did I miss the best part of the night?" and I said "Uh, yes."
    Mind boggling........

The eons are closing
    The venue let him in; then leave?

Tho expecting two hours from Asia was ALOT to expect ....

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

They never rehearsed with McDonald. He came in and did overdubs on two tracks on "Red", never actually playing with any of the others. Then the idea was put forward that he should join the band as 4th man, with Wetton being the prime pusher for that. Fripp had reservations about that, given how McDonald had left the original band, but then went along with the idea. But pretty soon after that he decided he didn't want to commit to at least 6 months of touring behind "Red", which is when he made the suggestion of the other three carrying on with another guitarist (Fripp has since said he had suggested Steve Hackett, but, much like Wakeman-Wetton-Bruford being called "British Bulldog", that seems a fairly recent story rather than something that was seriously considered at the time), but indeed, David Enthoven (the E in EG) said KC wouldn't be KC without Fripp, so the idea went no further and Fripp told Wetton and Bruford the band was no more (not even having told them about his alternative idea for a Fripp-less KC).
    Ah ok, I stand corrected. I thought I had read that they had done some rehearsing for a tour that (obviously) never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The venue let him in; then leave?

Tho expecting two hours from Asia was ALOT to expect ....

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk

Friendly suburban venue without an overload of rules. (And with a good brewpub across the street, but I'd rather see Focus).

The guy's main concern seemed that there was a two-hour lag between his arrival and the Asia set.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I saw the Medford show last night. I was apprehensive about it, but I was very well pleased. All bands played well and got great ovations from the audience. Even though Curved Air was acoustic and played for just 15 or 20 minutes, they were wonderful. Sonja is still in fine voice. Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash played most of Argus. Great stuff! I think Focus was the hit of the night. They played for about 40 minutes and probably would have done an encore if the schedule had allowed. Thijs from Focus played organ for the final two numbers by Martin Turner.

The show was so well put together that there was less than a couple minutes between the first three bands. As soon as the members of one band left, the next came out and immediately started playing. Asia was very good, though I did not know their material as well as that of the first three. They did a very nice "Video Killed the Radio Star" from Geoff Downes' Buggles days.

Though he had been billed as exhibitor and MC, Roger Dean was a no-show.
    Those are very short sets, especially Curved Air. I hope they play longer in Milwaukee. How long was MT Wishbone Ash?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Those are very short sets, especially Curved Air. I hope they play longer in Milwaukee. How long was MT Wishbone Ash?
    MT's WA played for 30 to 40 minutes, but they were a well-packed 30 to 40 minutes. Every note was great!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

So looking forward to the Lancaster show on Sunday. I'm far more interested in the openers than i am the headliner. I've seen Asia 4 or so times with Wetton. Never seen the others. Having been a lifelong WA fan, I've seen Andy's WA a dozen times but never MT's. Looking forward to hearing the difference. And Focus is a bucket list band. I think CA acoustic will sound wonderful as well.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I think the bands are on stage for this long:
    Curved Air - 20 minutes
    Martin Turner - 40 minutes
    Focus - 40 minutes
    No change over times between those bands.
    Then an interval.
    Then Asia with 75 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Milton View Post
    I think the bands are on stage for this long:
    Curved Air - 20 minutes
    Martin Turner - 40 minutes
    Focus - 40 minutes
    No change over times between those bands.
    Then an interval.
    Then Asia with 75 minutes.
    That's what Sonja messaged me yesterday, except she didn't mention the Asia length. I'm disappointed Curved Air gets 20 minutes. I probably wouldn't have
    bought tickets, booked flights and hotel if I had known. I will enjoy every second of their very short set.

some footage from Asia

^^^ wow. best post-Wetton live lineup I've heard!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    I think the URL has existed since the classic lineup reunited around 2006 or so. I'm assuming that URL was used to distinguish this band from the Payne-led band at the time. But the classic lineup only existed until Howe left the group in 2013, so it's now been 11 years since the original Asia existed. So yeah it's probably time to retire the "original" in the url. "Asia featuring John Payne" still exists as a website, and Payne appears to still be touring as Asia.
    There was an attempt to reunite the Downes/Palmer/Wetton axis with Dave Kilminster on guitar in 1999. A website called “originalasia.com” had existed at the time because the Payne-led band had also been a going concern – I’m sure that URL had simply been rolled over since.

Anyway, Downes jumped ship because neither a record deal nor any sustainable touring plans came to fruitition and that embryonic ASIA-reunion became the quasi-official “Qango” with John Young (now: Lifesigns) is Downes’ place. Young had been in Downes’ seat before in 1989 during a first attempt to reunite the band.

Annie Haslam has revealed the song she will be singing with Asia at their Bethlehem and Atlantic City shows. It’s an Icon song which she originally dueted with Wetton on: