Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull "Bursting Out" box set

I like Jethro Tull, but not enought to buy anything twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I like Jethro Tull, but not enought to buy anything twice.
    What do you, or anyone else for that matter, like enough to buy twice?

(There was the famous statement from Robert Wyatt about buying two copies of the Kew Rhone album because he feared wearing out the first one. But that was in the bygone (?) days of vinyl.)
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    What do you, or anyone else for that matter, like enough to buy twice?

(There was the famous statement from Robert Wyatt about buying two copies of the Kew Rhone album because he feared wearing out the first one. But that was in the bygone (?) days of vinyl.)
    Well, I have most Hoelderlin albums twice on CD, because of bonus-tracks. Also Grobschnitt and Novalis, but that was mostly because of the box-sets. Focus I also have 2 or 3 times, again because of box-sets. And with bonus-tracks. Bröselmachine and The Beatles, also because they had everything released as box-sets. So the missing stuff makes up for the box-sets. I also have 2 Wim Mertens Best of collections, which mainly contains stuff I allready have on seperate CDs and I also have some CDs twice, because there were some albums that could only be bought together with albums I already had.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    It seemed to me that this version has too much reverb (room acoustics?) in the vocals.
    More than the original release?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Perhaps the vocal reverb was an effect done live and can't be removed?

Ian used an effect on his voice around that time that he triggered with a pedal. You can see him reaching for it in multiple songs in the videos around 77-78. It is kind of a small delay, a doubling of his voice.

Here's a clear example on Aqualung. At 1:28, you can see him pushing it with his foot and his voice being "doubled" :

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    Ian used an effect on his voice around that time that he triggered with a pedal. You can see him reaching for it in multiple songs in the videos around 77-78. It is kind of a small delay, a doubling of his voice.

Here's a clear example on Aqualung. At 1:28, you can see him pushing it with his foot and his voice being "doubled" :

I’m there right now…..but I didn’t hear any change after the stomp. …. I’m looking at the New Bursting out BR of the Madison square Garden gig.

Damn! Tony Williams is on Fire!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’m there right now…..but I didn’t hear any change after the stomp. …. I’m looking at the New Bursting out BR of the Madison square Garden gig.

I friggin' wish I'd been at that show! My first Tull show, though, was on the Catfish Rising tour, which is why I like that album more than most people do. I have a friend who saw them on the A Passion Play tour, the lucky bastard!

Songs From The Wood was my first Tull.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

I’m hearing So Much new stuff with this release!

Ok, that makes me envious too! At least my first wasn't Rock Island!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ok, that makes me envious too! At least my first wasn't Rock Island!
    My first was Thick as a Brick (although I was quite aware of Aqualung at the time) and I worked backwards from there ultimately to This Was.

My first Tull was Songs from the wood. My only Tull concert was the Under wraps tour (still have the pictures I've taken during the concert).

My first Tull show, though, was on the Catfish Rising tour, which is why I like that album more than most people do.
    Mine was the one just after that, A Little Light Music, when Catfish Rising was still the most recent album. Dave Mattacks was on drums, forming the Fairport rhythm section with Peggy. But yeah, CR is my least favourite Tull album (although I do think Rocks on the Road is excellent).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I can't really remember which tour it was but Fairport was opening for Jethro Tull in Seattle. That created double-duty for Dave Pegg. After the show Dave came out with a new bass to show all of us at the green Door and passed it around to everyone who wanted to try it out. I was just a bystander and he was most gracious.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Mine was the one just after that, A Little Light Music, when Catfish Rising was still the most recent album. Dave Mattacks was on drums, forming the Fairport rhythm section with Peggy. But yeah, CR is my least favourite Tull album (although I do think Rocks on the Road is excellent).
    I thought that was a great tour! I also like the live album from it a lot. I find Catfish Rising to be similar to Crest of a Knave, but warmer sounding overall in both actual tones, and lyrically too, so I prefer it to that.

As far as first Tull Album I listened to in full, I'm willing to bet it was SftW, as that was the favorite as my friend group at the time. This is why the college years are the best years! -- at this moment in my life, I had a friend group that was pretty dedicated to playing me only their favorite prog albums and getting me . Not the ideal raison d'etre for us, but not entirely flawed!

There is a download version of the set available on HDTracks and Qobuz. But it's 16/44.1 resolution. If you want to hear this in hi res stereo, you'll need the physical discs.

I don't understand why Rock Island is dissed so much. I like it better than Crest of a Knave, although I recognize I'm in the minority there. "Kissing Willing" is kind of a throwaway, but there are a lot of really strong tracks too. I say keep the series going through The Christmas Album!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I don't understand why Rock Island is dissed so much. I like it better than Crest of a Knave, although I recognize I'm in the minority there. "Kissing Willing" is kind of a throwaway, but there are a lot of really strong tracks too. I say keep the series going through The Christmas Album!
    I think most of the JT albums from that period are, if not underrated, as least not as bad as initially thought ... once you get used to the changes in style and the transformation of Tull into Dire Straits at times. The only albums in the full repertoire that I downrate are Under Wraps and Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll Too Young to Die (except for "Taxi Grab").

As far as first Tull Album I listened to in full, I'm willing to bet it was SftW, as that was the favorite as my friend group at the time. This is why the college years are the best years! -- at this moment in my life, I had a friend group that was pretty dedicated to playing me only their favorite prog albums and getting me . Not the ideal raison d'etre for us, but not entirely flawed!
    When I was in college (1972-1976) the #1 group at the time (based on the sounds coming out of people's dorm room windows) was Tull, with the Dead being a close second.

I can't really remember which tour it was but Fairport was opening for Jethro Tull in Seattle. That created double-duty for Dave Pegg. After the show Dave came out with a new bass to show all of us at the green Door and passed it around to everyone who wanted to try it out. I was just a bystander and he was most gracious.
    Maybe the 20 Years Of Jethro Tull tour in 1988? That was my 2nd time seeing Tull, and "Fairport Friends" opened. My first Tull tour was A.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Maybe the 20 Years Of Jethro Tull tour in 1988? That was my 2nd time seeing Tull, and "Fairport Friends" opened.
    Tull didn’t play Seattle on that tour. The show Gary saw would have been in September ‘87, with the full Fairport Covention opening, also joining Tull onstage for “Skating Away.” I was at that show too! (I don’t remember Peggy showing off his bass, but my friend and I did get to hang out with Don Airey at a bar afterwards.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Trust me then, it is there (you can hear the difference too when he comes back to his "regular" voice just after that little verse (feeling alone, the army's up the road...)

If you mean concert, my first was for Stormwatch; my second and last was for A. After that, I didn't have money for concerts for a while, and by the time I did, I was a father, and by the time my kids were old enough for a concert to be something other than a luxury they were so expensive that they're luxuries.

Sigh.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I heard it quite distinctly when he sang the line, "leg hurting bad..."