Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Jethro Tull "Bursting Out" box set

I've been listening to this all weekend and am now ready to put it on the shelf for a bit. For me, the book was the best part as I have most of this elsewhere in my Tull Pile. It was interesting A / B ing the Swiss concert and the New York concert for the first time. The book brings you back to 1978 with its chronological timeline and the Roadies stories. Madison Square with Tony Williams is a sad portend of things to come tho. Excellent player but it also means the end of John Glascock. 1979 must have been one hell of a year for the boys.
    I thought they would do a better job with the photography.....it looks like they just took photos of an old album cover. I understand the nostalgia for folks who no longer have their original LP but they could have at least contacted the original photographers for better quality photos.

I'm now back to Broadsword after never really finishing it when I first got it. Quite a bit more material to absorb.

One impression I have going between these two releases is that EVERY tune on Bursting is Gold. The Broadsword box has hit-or-miss tunes better left skipped over. I know "A" was in the middle so maybe I'll go back to that too. I just feel that after Bursting, Tull started having hit-or-miss tunes even on the final releases.

I hope Under Wraps gets the Book treatment but who knows the viability of that ever happening. If they continue, Tull would be like an audio encyclopedia set.

Who'd have thought running a tape recorder back in the day would preserve such legacies. I guess Crimson & the Dead saw value in it. Are there any other outfits out there who did this much archiving?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Are there any other outfits out there who did this much archiving?
    Frank Zappa

I'm still blown away at how many unreleased gems Tull recorded.

Grobschnitt

Perhaps King Crimson, but I'm no expert on them.

Madison Square with Tony Williams is a sad portend of things to come tho. Excellent player but it also means the end of John Glascock. 1979 must have been one hell of a year for the boys.
    In fact Glascock did return for the spring 1979 tour and part of the "Stormwatch" studio sessions. By then the writing was on the wall health-wise and that's when Dave Pegg joined. Glascock died on the day of the penultimate gig of the tour.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Saw the Heavy Horses tour in Essen/Germany in 78...great show...I still have the tour poster somewhere...how is the video quality of the Madison Square show?
    Last edited by alucard; 3 Days Ago at 04:28 PM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Saw the Heavy Horses tour in Essen/Germany in 78...great show...I still have the tour poster somewhere...how is the video quality of the Madison Square show?
    I'm running a 4K UHD player and TV and this is a DVD ... I felt like I was there with them. I've never seen this footage look this great, and I own the old version too. Pretty amazing.

Hendrix in the studio.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'm still blown away at how many unreleased gems Tull recorded.
    It’s basically a whole bands career of extra tunes lol

Not in the prog field but Bruce Springsteen has released a load of material that was not on ‘official’ albums and included a lot of top class songs that didn’t fit the mood of a particular album and so were left behind. Also Neil Young has released Archive box sets with more on the way.

Supposedly there's a mountain of stuff in the vaults at Prince's Paisley Park studio. Legal wrangles will probably ensure that it stays there.

I played my 2CD "Bursting Out" last night after reading some glowing reviews of the new set. My verdict? It already sounds great and the mix is fine. My only quibble is the occasional bleeping of "bad" words. Also, the Madison Square concert (which I have on the DVD/CD set) has a very similar set list. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    My only quibble is the occasional bleeping of "bad" words.
    "Kinky bastard" is uncensored in the new mix, but "cunt" is still bleeped in the intro to "Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll." (Oddly, "he's gone for a piss" was never censored.) Apparently the c-word is considered too strong for modern sensibilities; it was also censored (replaced with "bugger") in the live concert on the Songs from the Wood box.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Supposedly there's a mountain of stuff in the vaults at Prince's Paisley Park studio. Legal wrangles will probably ensure that it stays there.
    Studio or live material? I’m pretty sure there’s another 30 songs. Mainly from 84-99 but some missing tracks from 76. Advertising man is one that missed too old to RnR remix

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Studio or live material? I’m pretty sure there’s another 30 songs. Mainly from 84-99 but some missing tracks from 76. Advertising man is one that missed too old to RnR remix
    Er, I meant there's a load of Prince's material in PP, not Tull's...

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Er, I meant there's a load of Prince's material in PP, not Tull's...
    Oh him

I've read some comments that Stevie Wonder is another artist in the "lots of songs that may never be released" category.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I played my 2CD "Bursting Out" last night after reading some glowing reviews of the new set. My verdict? It already sounds great and the mix is fine. My only quibble is the occasional bleeping of "bad" words. Also, the Madison Square concert (which I have on the DVD/CD set) has a very similar set list. Pass.
    I wondered if the bleeping was done live, for humorous effect, and couldn't be undone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I wondered if the bleeping was done live, for humorous effect, and couldn't be undone.
    The Hunting Girl bleep sounds like a synth or organ note rather than an overdub, unlike 2O2RnR, which does sound like an overdub.