Thread: Gentle Giant Missing Piece Audio Ripping Issue

Gentle Giant Missing Piece Audio Ripping Issue

Hi all,
    Sorry I've been absent for so long but I've continued to struggle with the autoimmune disorder (Relapsing Cryptogenic Organising Pneumonia) that's plagued me for 2.5 years now, though I've recently started with a new clinic and treatment that might finally help.

Anyway, on to the question. Just got the CD/BR of Gentle Giant's The Missing Piece today, and I usually rio the audio so I can play it on my DAP.

HOWEVER...

I cannot seem to do so, whether I use DVDFAB or MakeMV/DVDAE on my Mac. With DVDFAB, when I load the disc and fire up the high res Blu ray ripper, what is odd is that the listing of various options (assuming atmos, surround, stereo, etc) don't show how many channels, either on the main page or in the advanced options page....the number of channels for all is blank, and I can't set them. When I try to rip anything the software runs...but finishes in about a few seconds with nothing written to the output folder except the basic folders under which the audio is normally placed.

I loaded up Interview to compare, and as usual, the listings show 5.1, LPCM Stereo, etc. And when I rip, it works as expected, creating the folders and placing the music files (high res FLAC) in them.

is anyone else having a problem like this? DVDFAB normally gets rid of all copy protection and rips the files in one step, rather than having to do two with MakeMV/DVDAE, but I tried that also, and when I fire up DVDAE after creating a supposedly cleared MAKEMV file and import it, rather than seeing titles and chapters listed, I get...nothing.

l'vevtried everything I normally do that works and am getting nowhere, so am hoping someone else has experienced this and/or had success at ripping the high res audio files and and can provide some guidance....

Thanks, in advance, to any and all whi might be able to solve this conundrum!
    Cheers!
    John
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Welcome back John. Good luck with your new treatment.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

DBDFab, MakeMKV, etc likely haven't updated their list of decryption keys to include this GG release. Unlike DVDs which use common encryption keys, every BD has its own unique key. It's likely just a matter of time. It's worth pointing out for everyone else, since you're in Canada, US copyright restrictions don't apply to you.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Hi all,
    Sorry I've been absent for so long but I've continued to struggle with the autoimmune disorder (Relapsing Cryptogenic Organising Pneumonia) that's plagued me for 2.5 years now, though I've recently started with a new clinic and treatment that might finally help.

Thanks, in advance, to any and all whi might be able to solve this conundrum!
    Cheers!
    John
    Hello John; While I don't have any suggestions regarding your problems ripping GG's The Missing Piece, I do want wish you the best of luck with your new treatments.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Great to see you again, John.
    In lieu of any useful suggestions, it's not uncommon for me to run into situations like this and then just give up and record it directly from the sound card while playing it, not unlike how we had to record things with your cassette deck in the olden days.

It's also not uncommon that it works the next time I try, or it works the first time and then I can't get it to work again a second time.