Thread: Hackett Cancellation in Phoenix

Hackett Cancellation in Phoenix

Hmm…my frau and I had second row tix to see Steve Hackett in Tucson Friday night; the show was smashing, as usual. Just superb. But Steve is always a paragon of professionalism. We did hear a fan talking about Steve not feeling well…he was using throat lozenges and wasn’t quite as animated as usual. But again, it was a fantastic night and his full show.

(The bass pedal goodness was huge! At least two and possibly three of the guys triggered them throughout the night. And my goodness, does he stretch out the end of Supper’s Ready! He has done it that way for years and I always am so pleased because the original recording fades out far too soon—because record vinyl.)

Anyway, our local pal decided in advance to go to the Phoenix show the next night (Saturday) instead (at the Celebrity theater). To our dismay, he texted around 8:30 pm to say that the show was cancelled before he took the stage. “He wasn’t feeling well and was going to the hospital to get checked out.”

Anyone know anything more? I sure hope the lad is OK. He always looks so healthy so I am hoping that general fitness wins out.

I haven’t heard anything, but I will say that as fit as he looks, his touring schedule is incredibly punishing for somebody his age. There is a reason why most of us start slowing down as we get older. Anyway, hopefully this is a minor scare.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    I haven’t heard anything, but I will say that as fit as he looks, his touring schedule is incredibly punishing for somebody his age. There is a reason why most of us start slowing down as we get older. Anyway, hopefully this is a minor scare.
    Yes, his touring and recording schedule would be challenging for anyone at any age.

From Steve's FB:

"Hello everyone,
    I’m so sorry for the scare. I’d hoped to power through the Phoenix show but I had a bronchial infection and a last minute adverse reaction to medication. Consequently, the Medics took me to hospital. I am now recovering and glad to be feeling okay. I was very sad to miss the show and I will return to play in Phoenix as soon as possible. My thanks to you all for your understanding and support.
    With warmest wishes,
    Steve"
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    From Steve's FB:

"Hello everyone,
    I’m so sorry for the scare. I’d hoped to power through the Phoenix show but I had a bronchial infection and a last minute adverse reaction to medication. Consequently, the Medics took me to hospital. I am now recovering and glad to be feeling okay. I was very sad to miss the show and I will return to play in Phoenix as soon as possible. My thanks to you all for your understanding and support.
    With warmest wishes,
    Steve"
    Good catch! There was a photo of him in the hospital along with that quote.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you!

I am even more in awe of the guy because he delivered such a stellar show in Tucson while under the weather.

Steve is a true paladin of our times. A couple of my buddies in Houston went to his show last week and were raving about how excellent the show was.
    Steve was even candid about not having played in Texas before and said he had the wrong impression that Texans were more into heavy rock but not so much Prog and that he would return. Nice guy, I wish him a speedy recovery

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Well, he does dress like Paladin. All he needs is the hat and the Have Guitar, Will Travel card. Setlists indicates that he's played Dallas on the tours for Cured and Guitar Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Well, he does dress like Paladin. All he needs is the hat and the Have Guitar, Will Travel card. Setlists indicates that he's played Dallas on the tours for Cured and Guitar Noir.
    I hope he gets well soon! He was incredible at the Uptown in Kansas City. So was his band, they were so tight, it was fantastic.
    Welcome to PE. If you want to watch old men argue about old musicians, you've come to the right place!

jamesmanzi

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    1981, that was such a long time ago that even Steve forgot that Cured tour gig. I saw him on that tour in Glen Cove, Long island - feels like a lifetime.