Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum, but not to progressive rock etc.
I won't get into my past here... contributions to the genre or lack of.. but do have some legitimate questions (I hope) about moving
a new project forward within the context of today's changing musical or cultural landscape.

I am going to make the assumption that this forum has a significant number of members who are musicians of prog, fusion or complex rock players..... who are actively releasing new music, gigging, playing live on some kind of regular basis etc...

That being said, I have noticed a significant decline in the number of prog bands, fusion bands or complex rock bands gigging around my local area. (I am in the San Francisco Bay Area). The cost and expense of touring seems prohibitive for most. There appears to be a trending away from physical product... CD's etc.. and this makes it harder for bands to pick up some extra money at live gigs. Spotify, which I don't know a lot about.. I am not a member, but most musicians I know are either on it.. or making their music available there for "exposure". From what I understand, it doesn't pay well unless you are getting hundreds of thousands of downloads etc.

Most music venues I am talking too... are asking for links to our social media sites... and are predominately booking cover bands. The bigger theaters are focusing on tribute bands. Some original acts are getting booked, but not many in prog or fusion unless they are known from the past with one original member leftover from their major label heyday.

Radio play is basically a thing of the past. Our local radio station... that we have been on several times, might draw 5 or 10 people to a show in a local spot if we are lucky.

There are a few very good rock, folk, reggae, funk, blues bands around this local scene, but none seem to draw more than 20 or 30 people to a show. They are all saying the same thing... basically. It's hard times. These are genres that are more popular and accessible than most prog bands.

I'm only here to be objective, not trying to throw shade.... but it seems that having a few videos on youtube, instagram and a facebook page isn't enough to get things going in and of itself.

So I propose starting a thread here about how to survive and prosper, to adapt and keep relevant in today's music scene as a prog or fusion live player.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice from those getting it done?