Thread: My Recommendations for Bandcamp Friday (May 2024)

My Recommendations for Bandcamp Friday (May 2024)

Recommending some releases that I have been involved in that are available for order or preorder on Bandcamp Friday in May !

Releases discussed:

Step into a realm where the echoes of 70's prog rock giants are reborn; "Intouríst" weaves a tapestry of soul-stirring epics, from the rush of a comet's trail to the eternal dance of zombie love, each track a prog rock prayer made manifest. Get lost in a narrative odyssey of otherworldly desires and heartfelt homecomings, all set to a soundtrack of fiery riffs that are destined to resonate with the rebels of yesterday and today. This is not just music—it's a portal to a time when rock was a revolution, and every note promised a journey into the extraordinary.

released May 3, 2024

Refestramus
    Derek Ferguson – Drums,
    Jerry King – Bass,
    Derek Pavlic – Guitars, Mellotron and Viola,
    Rogelio Souza - Keys

Associated Artists
    Ian Beabout – Vocals on track 9, Flute on track 6
    Nathan James - Vocals on track 6
    Mitch Lawrence – Saxes on tracks 3, 6 and 9
    NIDA – Vocals on tracks 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
    Craig Cairns – Vocals on tracks 1, 2, 3, 11
    Dave Newhouse – Accordion on track 8

All words and music by Derek Ferguson, except CD track 9 ("Mr. Skin") by Jay Ferguson

All arrangements by Refestramus
    Produced by Ian Beabout and Derek Ferguson
    Mixed and Mastered by Ian Beabout

PRESS:

“The band's music is more progressive than progressive. The album offers a sound that is more like so-called ‘mixture rock’ than ‘progressive rock,’ as if their musical tastes are all stewed together. What awaits the listener after listening to the playful and free-spirited arrangements, which will betray the listener's expectations? This is a work that you should definitely hear for yourself.”

- CDs Vinyl Japan Store

“The results are vertiginous – blissed-out and blessed in the music’s festive concern: let’s just hope the “was” in “WTF Was That?!” doesn’t mean this record is the group’s last.”

- dmme.net review

“This does not seem like a modern recording at all, as there is something about it which cries analogue as opposed to digital and playing a download just seems wrong as this should be vinyl, nothing less. This is music which has been allowed to breathe and move in whatever direction it needs to.”

- Kev Rowland, ProgArchives Review

“This is their fourth release and they are making waves with their 'off the wall' music and sounds. I find this to be a real treat for all listeners. I must admit, they have a great '70's sound, Are they true hippies in 2023?”

- Jim Allford, Steel Notes Magazine

releases June 1, 2024

MUSICIANS

Ian Beabout - production, editing, backing vocals, microKorg synth, flute, field recordings (3) theremini (5), lead vocals (10)
    Nathan James - bass, lead vocals, backing vocals, keyboard and synths (2, 11), acoustic guitar (6)
    Derek Pavlic - guitars, viola (6,7) mellotron and synths (7, 9), glockenspiel (7, 9, 10), vocoder (11)

WITH

Derek Ferguson - drums (except 1, 6), keyboards and percussion (4)
    Dave Trik - drums (1)
    Chris Boros - mellotron (2)
    Mitch Lawrence - saxophone solo (11)
    Jacopo Muneratti - moth swat (11)

RECORDED AT VARIOUS HOME STUDIOS (2021-2023)
    Including ShedSounds WV, the REC. Room OH, Evening Star Productions, Nonpareil Studios IL, and more

Produced and arranged by Colouratura

Edited, assembled, mixed and mastered by Ian Beabout 2022-2023 at ShedSounds Studio and the REC. Room

Mixed and mastered for vinyl in 2024 by Ian Beabout

Barney Jones - guitar
    Dave Newhouse - keys
    Bev Stephenson - synth

In 1980, Dave, Barney, and Bev dragged their gear into the basement studio at the Mars Everywhere house (Mars Everywhere was Barney’s band at the time) and recorded a series of tapes straight through without stopping. No overdubs. Barney dubbed the group the Hydrogen Band. This EP, "H2 One" (Track 1 is 11+ Minutes, Track 2 is 9+ minutes), is the first in a series of three recordings that will be made available on Bandcamp as digital downloads. The recordings were all de-mixed and re-mastered by Ian Beabout at the Rec. Room. Barney and Bev have since passed on from this world, but I can’t help but think that they’d be glad these recordings finally came to light.

released May 3, 2024

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.co...-vikodden-1971

While the two sets from the second night (February 28, 1971) have been released before, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT THE ENTIRE TWO-NIGHT STAND HAS BEEN RELEASED. So half of this is previously completely unreleased.

This is a excellent, stereo recording of the band performing in a relatively small hall; the balances between the instruments are not perfectly balanced, but there is no other recording by Soft Machine that I know of that sounds as much like the band are performing *right* in front of you!

Additionally, we were able to improve in a modest but definitely noticeable way the not-perfect balance between the instruments on this edition.

Soft Machine’s two concerts at the Henie-Onstad Art Center near Oslo, Norway, in late February 1971 were special in several respects. The circumstances, of course, were unusual...in a museum space, as part of an art exhibition by the Boyle Family, and Mark Boyle’s films were projected during the performances. It was part of the last European tour that featured the ‘classic quartet’ line-up before they went to the USA and split apart. But more significantly, both shows were recorded, and superbly at that, providing a rare glimpse into how, at this stage in the band’s existence, the music could change significantly from one night to the next, even when the setting didn’t.

releases May 31, 2024

Elton Dean: alto sax, saxello, Hohner pianet
    Hugh Hopper: bass
    Mike Ratledge: Hohner pianet, Lowrey Holiday Deluxe organ, Fender Rhodes
    Robert Wyatt: drums, vocals

Original recordings engineered by Meny Bloch at the Henie-Onstad Art Center, Høvikodden, Norway, February 27-28, 1971.

Mixed and mastered by Ian Beabout at ShedSounds Studio.

Photos: Baerum Photoclub, Einar Braathen, Guro Bjørnstad, Svein S. Hole and supplied by the Henie-Onstad fotoarkiv.

Design by Chester Hawkins.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 05-03-2024 at 02:20 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ian, thanks for the recommendations! I’m gonna buy some stuff! (Without thinking, I ordered the Soft Machine CD set yesterday, forgetting that today’s Bandcamp Friday. Oh well…a sale is a sale, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ian, thanks for the recommendations! I’m gonna buy some stuff! (Without thinking, I ordered the Soft Machine CD set yesterday, forgetting that today’s Bandcamp Friday. Oh well…a sale is a sale, right?)
    Indeed it is ! Bandcamp Friday is a fun promo bandwagon but the cuts they take are actually rather small. Thanks for your support!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oh well…a sale is a sale, right?)
    That’s absolutely true AND BandCamp’s percentage is really very reasonable!

And thanks for your order; it shipped today!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.